Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
GM To Unveil Future Business Plans On Tuesday

Quote:
NEW YORK (Fortune) -- In opera, it isn't over until the fat lady sings. In the auto business, it isn't official until General Motors opens its mouth.

That day comes Tuesday in Wilmington, Delaware when embattled GM (GM, Fortune 500) chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner will explain to shareholders just how the automaker plans to survive the changes sweeping the industry.

Observers from Tokyo to Toledo will be paying close attention.

Automakers are going through an unprecedented two-dip depression in the U.S. Not only is the subprime crisis and the attendant economic slump driving sales to a 15-year low. But also, expensive gasoline and looming federal and state fuel economy standards have sent panicked consumers fleeing from their pickup trucks and SUVs, which are very profitable for Detroit, into low-profit or no profit passenger cars.

Late to catch this trend as usual, General Motors and Ford (F, Fortune 500) are frantically rewriting their product plans for the next dozen years to account for changing standards while they try to prop up sales of their current model lines in the short term.

Meanwhile, there is chaos at the nation's dealerships. Light trucks aren't selling so they are sitting in inventory. Owners aren't buying because they either can't sell the truck they have or can't get the price they need in order to afford the down payment on a new one. Other customers, who took advantage of easy credit terms a year or two ago, are failing to make their monthly payments and getting their vehicles repossessed.

Ford stepped up the plate first. Twelve days ago, it announced production cuts, the accelerated introduction of more small cars, and continued shrinkage of the company. Along with that came the news that it couldn't make the auto business profitable in 2009 as it had promised, and then later, that its U.S. market share would fall below the level that it had targeted.
Expect GM to announce much of the same production cutbacks and shifts in product emphasis on Tuesday. It won't be as specific about future earnings as Ford because it got out of the guidance game a couple of years ago.

One area where GM is expected to strut its stuff is in alternative fuels. The company was early to the party - some say too early - in building a battery-powered car and developing fuel cells. Now both of those technologies have been put in the shade by gas-electric hybrids and plug-in hybrids.

GM leads Ford and Chrysler in gas-electric hybrids, but that's a race among the lame and the halt. In terms of commercial success, it can't match Toyota (TM) or even Honda (HMC).

But you can expect GM to thump its chest a bit over the plug-in Chevy Volt that it plans to get to the market by end of 2010. The Volt can run about 40 miles on a charge of electricity, and several hundred miles beyond that when its auxiliary gasoline engine kicks in. But at a rumored price of as high as $40,000, the Volt will be good for bragging rights, and not much more.

Tuesday's meeting could be Wagoner's chance to finally assert himself as the leader of both his company and the industry. As GM has piled up enormous losses and suffered from an array of troubles that go well beyond its slumping car sales, Wagoner has been all too willing to stay in the background.

The strategy backfires when other step forward to take credit for initiatives Wagoner has put in place, such as his declaration in 2006 that GM is determined to be the industry's technology leader. Or when GM stock collapses to a multi-year low, and it is a lead director, not Wagoner, who has to step forward and calm investor fears.

Now, when there is so much confusion in the market place and among investors, is the time for Wagoner to step up, create a vision for the months ahead, and suggest how GM and the rest of the auto industry are going to meet this looming challenge.

In a way, his timing couldn't be better. Expensive gasoline is pushing American consumers in the direction they've been resisting for 30 years - toward more fuel-efficient automobiles. It is up to Wagoner to explain how GM plans to profit from this overdue change. And do it forcefully.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/30/news...ion=2008060209

I'll be adding to this any press releases I find tomorrow.
This is something to pay VERY close attention to, I think......
Old 06-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Hopefully this won't be just another long rant about the oil crisis of '08 and alternative fuels/propulsion systems. I wanna hear some juicy stuff, like, "We will be developing a new twin turbo V6 capable of the performance offered today with our V8 engines. You'll see these engines for the first time in our new midsize RWD architecture, the Alpha platform, and later Zeta 2". Oh, the wishful thinking I do....
Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Well they're talking about a 1.4L TC DI I4 making just 8 hp less than my 2.2L for the next Cobalt. If that's a preview of what they might announce tomorrow, then I'd say we're off to a pretty good start.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
What ever it is, it should be good.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Let me know when it's Tuesday...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
It sounds bad for trucks. The one linked article states how GM and ford are late to the table, with small cars etc...they did not mention how silly toynissanota are for tryin to make HUGE fullsize trucks that get worse mpg than GM fullsize trucks.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote