Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #43
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked View Post
I'm pretty sure the quarter mile time is the same in the ss and the ss with 1le pack.
1LE vs SS on a real track and we'll see whose lap times are better.
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #44
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Most of us who own ss can just upgrade their own suspension to better than stock, and the 1le has nice things built in and a stiffer ride and a higher rear gear. The thing is I am going to eventually change my rear gear, then I think my car would be faster than a 1le in the quarter with my manual trans vs the other..........And I know having phadt suspension etc it will be better and coil overs will be better............
Old 06-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #45
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
I would have grabbed the 1LE over the RS package any day of the week. I would love a 1LE 1SS. It would be even better if they sweetened the pot and added a CAI like the z/28 for just a couple extra horses to make the 1LE stand out further. I've considered trading into a 1LE, but then reality kicks in and I can't justify taking a hit for hi po parts that will never get used. Heck, I don't even drive the regular SS like its designed to be. I can go a month and never have the car over 50 mph.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #46
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
No Vert is the reason I don't own one!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #47
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
This reminds me of when people ask me why I have my tats... I just kinda shake my head.

I have posted this before and will probably have to post this again. Other than the LS there is nothing practical about Camaro or their owners.

If money is limited. I would forgo the 2SS and the RS and get the 1LE package. It is that good... or should I say, an enjoyable driving experience.

Edit:
Nice video! What song and artist was that...killer cruise song?!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #48
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
Personally, if I was going to upgrade from my SS I would have to upgrade to the Z28 when it comes out or to the ZL1 rather than upgrading to the 1LE. Unfortunately, such an upgrade is not in my near future. :(
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #49
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
I didn't realize you got all of that for $3500!Ha
Here is the full list your 3500 buys you:
  • close ratio manual transmission that has higher final drive (3.91 vs. 3.45)
  • air-to-liquid cooling system lifted from the ZL1 (trans and oil coolers)
  • 20-inch wheels covered in Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires, 285 on all 4 corners
  • Improved wheel bearings (zl1)
  • Improved toe links
  • upgraded sub-frame bushes
  • Better rear shock mounts
  • rear monotube shocks
  • thicker antiroll bars(27mm front, 28mm rear)
  • strut-tower bar
  • beefed up the rear-axle half-shafts
  • ZL1's high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups were also added to prevent fuel starvation in hard-cornering situations.
  • matte-black hood
  • functional front splitter
  • rear spoiler
  • Oil catch can
  • red Brembo brake calipers
  • ZL1's flat-bottom, microfiber-covered steering wheel
  • short shifter topped with
a microfiber shift knob.

And Don't forget electric power steering in 2013 models. And NPP is a nice option for a turnkey car.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #50
kmthor00

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
They shouldn't even be allowed to make an automatic camaro.
Here we go!
kmthor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #51
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
I would have grabbed the 1LE over the RS package any day of the week. I would love a 1LE 1SS. It would be even better if they sweetened the pot and added a CAI like the z/28 for just a couple extra horses to make the 1LE stand out further. I've considered trading into a 1LE, but then reality kicks in and I can't justify taking a hit for hi po parts that will never get used. Heck, I don't even drive the regular SS like its designed to be. I can go a month and never have the car over 50 mph.
Have you seen this thread?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271144

1le is day oink typically way over stock. My guess is they are hand picking the best ls3s and putting them in the 1le.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #52
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
We had a 12' 45th Ann SS but sold it last year. Ordered the 13' in February and opted for the 1LE because we could. The 1LE pkg ticked the boxes we were looking for. Sift through the specs of the parts and it made perfect sense.

YES it does ride, drive, & handle better than our 12' SS!!

Worth it? YES 100% for us.
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #53
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I have wondered that as well.I know in my case i race mine, and do track days,which is what this car is designed for.I have never driven just the standard SS,in fact i was thinking today that i was going to contact my salesman and see if i could drive a used SS to see the difference. So if these are being bought to just drive on the street,i wonder what the draw is,dont get me wrong this car *ucking rocks,but i imagine the standard SS does as well.
When taking that test drive, take a 2012+ SS. They include the FE4 suspension.
I'm a road course/autocross/mountain road guy and when I first considered a Camaro in my price range, the test drive included a new 2LT and new 1SS. I based my purchase decision as much on the suspension difference as engine difference. In my opinion the 6 cylinder is a great engine but the FE4 suspension rocks!
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #54
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
FE4 suspension with tweaks, a more aggressive rear axle gear, with ZL1 type wheels and tires makes this car much more a performer than a stock SS. It's all of that, a full mark above the stock SS.
They are not ZL1 Type wheels, they are the exact same wheels and sizes....The 1LE tires are the ZL1 fronts on all four corners (285s)

Why the hype for me?...After driving a 2010 supercharged Camaro SS on full Eibach suspension/sways, exhaust ect (Firebreather / not mine, I was asked to drive it) from NY to Vegas (Bullrun 2010) I said to myself I would never buy a Camaro.....Drove a 2012 SS in Arizona while on vacation...Again said I would never buy a Camaro. Test drove a 1LE after reading all of the reviews, I ordered one.

Why? I am a road racer/instructor for about 15 plus years. The stock SS suspension is subpar for the track with too much oversteer and the car feels sluggish and unresponsive. (on the track) The revised 1LE gearing (not much better overall ratios for straight line, but a better combination) make the car feel more spirited. The lighter ZL1 wheels (5lbs per corner) have a huge effect as the unsprung weight is reduced greatly. The steering effort with the EPS is great, the trans is solid. The changes to the steering wheel, shift knob and the rimless rear view mirror (all 2013) just make the car "feel" right and actually more spacious with the less obstructed view. The suspension is firm buts rides nice on the street and is more than adequate on a track (search my other posts). Add to the above that all 2013 LS3 are making more power to the wheels than the 2010 - 2013 cars (Mine made 396whp stock on a MD dyno) and it is a no-brainer at $3500

The reason I grabbed a 1LE over a Boss 302 was the cost and the numbers it will run on a road course. If it were not for a 1LE package I would be driving a Mustang.......

Now, I can't speak on changing from an SS to a 1LE as that is up to each individual owner.

Matt
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #55
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieguy13 View Post
it has a COMPLETELY different suspension,looks smexy as hell, closer gears, with a higher final. looks smexy as hell,different power steering. different fuel pumps. i havnt even got it out of the break in stage. keeping revs and speed low, and its amazing. did i mention smexy as hell?

Let me know if Im wrong, but electric power steering is standard on all SS models as of 2013 right?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #56
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
What gives? From what I see around here everyone wants to 'upgrade' to a 1LE around here. Is your street driven SS so bad that your are destroying your tires and brakes at an excessive rate? Does the stock SS just not meet your standards of handling ability on the freeway entrance ramp? Also, you don't want to buy the tires for them very often.

I'm mainly just wondering why you would want to trade your street driven SS, or your SS that you drag race for a 1LE, it's a track oriented car. Does it ride better, can you really tell the difference on the street or do you just feel like you are driving an SS with more expensive tires and a flat black hood?

I can understand if you are an auto crosser or trading up from a V6 you may as well throw that package in I guess.
We test drove a 2SS with the manual transmission in 2011. We drove it some, and it seemed like a nice car. I was not impressed with the reviews of it, nor the handling, and just could not justify buying the car, getting rid of our WS6. When the 1LE came out, and the reviews on it were as good as they were, and the times it ran vs other equal and much more expensive cars were so impressive, we bought one having never even drove one. I will say this without any question.....the 1LE is the very best performing road / track car for under $40K. It is not a good drag car. It is a street /track car. If you want a drag car, buy an SS and save the money. If you want the best handling Camaro ever built (according to driver Randy Pobst), get a 1LE. It is drastically different than an SS (8 sec per lap at VIR)! And yes, I want that better handling everyday.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote