Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
redsap05

Drives: 2005 pontiac gto
I heard that congress has no plans at this time to vote on any kind of aid package for the big three even with gm warning of a possible bankruptcy by years end. So unfortunatly right now its looking that gm will file for bankruptcy before the camaro goes into prodution. Hopefully it will not affect our beloved camaro. I think the dam greedy gas companys should bail them out with their record profits they been making latley. Just my 02
redsap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #16
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
+1...though if this turns "nasty" political...you know what happens, Blur.
This isn't politics. This is government. It is a little education for those who think that their votes don't make a difference. To some extent, they're right, but if they call their elected official, whether they voted for or against that person, they can tell that person what they expect. There are some of us on Camaro5 that are compelled to act, but so many don't act on CAFE or in general. Today, I want everyone to commit to action that will save General Motors.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
This isn't politics. This is government. It is a little education for those who think that their votes don't make a difference. To some extent, they're right, but if they call their elected official, whether they voted for or against that person, they can tell that person what they expect. There are some of us on Camaro5 that are compelled to act, but so many don't act on CAFE or in general. Today, I want everyone to commit to action that will save General Motors.
I know, and make no mistake I agree with you 100+%.
I just meant that if bob says something nasty to tom and tom f's off bob and frank butts in...it's thread closed, like 'normal'.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #18
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I know, and make no mistake I agree with you 100+%.
I just meant that if bob says something nasty to tom and tom f's off bob and frank butts in...it's thread closed, like 'normal'.
I think we're all on the same team here. We can call ourselves the Panther* Lobby.

All of us support the US auto industry surviving. Even the guys who came to Camaro5 to talk about Challengers and Mustangs believe in the American auto industry as a whole. We all need government support now, just like the Japanese have. It's time for our government to be as competitive as theirs.

Lobby Congress for American cars! :flag2: This is democracy at work.

Feel free to post any letters, phone calls, or any lobby-related behavior in this thread.

*Panther—this was the rumored name of the Camaro before it was released. It hasn't been released yet, so we can't call ourselves the Camaro lobby. This is more appropriate.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #19
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Blur, I couldn't agree with you more, I was calling and writing my congressmen even before I could vote. (those younger than 18 try this you get some funny responses). I completely believe that even if the candidate you voted for lost doesn't mean you sit idly by for the next ___ years and do nothing. If somebody asked you want gift you wanted for your birthday you would answer them right? Well your elected official is asking so tell them what you want. The act of voting is only effects a small part of what happens in Washington. Please people for the good of the call your reps, and don't just call them about the Big 3 call them about everything. Stay informed, check their website they usually try and keep you informed if you just look for the information. You would really be surprised how personable most of these people really are.

Ok this has turned into a little bit more of a rant than I intended but I feel very strongly about this. I hope I didn't step on any toes and I apologize if I did as that was not my intention.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:33 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Post A letter to my Congressmen

I wanted to share this with those who could use a letter to send off to their congressmen/women. Or with those who just wanted to read something "interesting".

I don't mind one bit if anybody wants to copy/paste this to their senators/representatives. In fact, I encourage you to!!! TAG UR IT is already sending it to his senators in Texas, for instance. We can make a difference...these people need to hear from us whether they want to or not. They don't work for their parties -- they work for You and Me, so tell them what to do.

EDIT: Take care, though -- this letter is not about the current administration. I only mentioned it in order to draw a contrast between the big bailout package, and this bridge loan. So don't get offended, or post angry responses, please. This is about the Big Three.

-----------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------

Dear Senator xxxxxxxx,

I am a 20 year old college student attending Buffalo State College. I am earning a Technology Education degree, and expect to graduate on time in 2011. I am also a very concerned American. And I want to express my concerns to you as my elected representative in congress. Also know that I sent this verbatim to the other senator.

I must say that I am disappointed in the United States Congress. This body shelled out 700 Billion dollars and gave it to the Bush Administration about a month ago with, as far as I’ve been informed, very little strings attached. Or else they were weak strings. Congress gave control of this obscene amount of money to an administration that has shown ZERO competence in the area of finances.. Yet we were supposed to trust them to handle it properly. Unfortunately, they are not -- instead they are exemplifying their incompetence, yet again. I supported the “bailout” package under one condition; that it was NOT given to the administration to do as they will with it. It was much too large a sum to be thrown about – but I felt it COULD help us out of this slump. Unfortunately, I did not make my voice known. And so, like many other issues – the concerns of this taxpayer went largely unnoticed. That was a mistake. I intend not to make the same one again, so I am contacting you with the genuine hope of a non-automated reply.

As you well know, there is a very polarizing issue surrounding the “Big Three” US automakers, General Motors, Chrysler, and Ford. I have been following the Auto Industry extensively for the past 3 years – making mental and digital note of any significant changes and shifts in ideology. I know they weren’t spectacular 10 years ago. To say they were competitive with foreign automakers would be a laughable statement. These companies that took advantage of the “Big Three’s” contentment with the vehicles they were producing. The Foreign makers very quickly surpassed GM, Ford, and Chrysler in terms of quality and efficiency, and in so doing, rapidly gained the respect of the American people for their product. Now, times have changed, domestic vehicles are on par or BETTER than their foreign competitors (according to JDPower and Associates, and many other automobile publications). They are slowly earning the respect of the American people back with quality products like the Chevy Malibu, the Ford Edge, and the Chrysler Town & Country. This will be a difficult task; but it is a task that I believe they are ready to take on.

The changes they’ve made in terms of management, operating costs, and labor costs in order to become more competitive with the invading foreign companies are astounding. WITHOUT the government’s aid or instruction, they took on multi-billion dollar restructuring plans designed to eliminate the quality, reliability, efficiency, and cost gap between them and foreign makers. In 2010, the most significant of these changes will take effect; the Voluntary Employee Beneficiary Association, which will shift the entire healthcare burden from the company to the union. UAW employees have also conceded that all new hires will make HALF of what they used to. These and other moves have nearly eliminated the cost gap between Domestic and foreign companies. They also hired and “freed” employees and executives to create breathtaking new products that are class-leading in every way. The Malibu, for instance, has the HIGHEST non-hybrid fuel economy rating in the entire market, and recently won a Car of the Year award. There are many, many, many more vehicles like this in their lineup. However, due to the funds they poured into this restructuring, they were not ready for such a rapid deterioration of the economy and car market (which, to be honest, was largely allowed to happen by the government due to lack of oversight and accountability). In my opinion, they got burned by doing what was RIGHT: reshaping their business on their own.

I’ve been watching the hearings yesterday, and today…and I found it personally insulting how obnoxious some of the senators seemed to be towards the CEOs, as though this was entirely their fault. Two of them, Mr. Mullaly and Mr. Nardelli, were hired within the last year – so how could it be THEIR faults?? And Mr. Wagoner is responsible for investing in China’s emerging car market – returning some funds to the US, and increasing our standing in the global market. China Loves their Buicks. Such behavior and attitude seemed to exhibit some sense of ineptitude on the part of our congress, and a general lack of knowledge. This is very disappointing, because these men and women are supposed to be our leaders, how can they be so ill-informed? The request the automakers are making is NOT a big one. They want a 25 billion dollar loan in order to sustain themselves till 2010. This money is not being infused into a volatile marketplace under the direction of an inept administration like the “Bailout” package; it’s being infused into three companies that pledge to pay it back in full with interest! And these companies are poised to take back the market – they just need valuable time. And I might remind you that the last time congress helped its automakers (Chrysler, some 30 years ago), they repaid the loan early, and made the taxpayers some money in the deal. Why is this expected to be any different? However, I had hoped that the senators on the committee would make the right choice. I had faith (perhaps it was misplaced) that they would help our ailing automakers.

However I read an article today that said that congress has cancelled a vote on this bill. And I’m finding resistance of all sorts to this request for the money. Why? How is that possible? And what does congress intend to do about it?

I am severely disappointed in our ‘leaders’ leadership. For the record, I WANT you and the other senators to vote FOR this legislation. Yet you all seem willing to allow a vital industry to fail, and risk sending our economy spiraling into a full-scale depression because you don’t want to loan a paltry 25 billion dollars (that will be paid back!). I would very much appreciate a response, non-automated, that explains the situation in congress to me. An explanation of what you intend to do to save the “Big Three”.

Thank you, Senator.

Sincerely,
"Me"
Old 11-19-2008, 11:59 PM   #21
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
First of all - Mr. Fandango -- God Bless you for sending your note. I just wish more Americans would do the same.

As to the 'bailout' - it is NOT a bailout -- we are asking for a LOAN which we will repay with INTEREST.

The Bailout of the banking industry is different.......the government is proposing the purchase of 'toxic loans' -- which - and please correct me if I'm wrong -- is a bailout -- we are giving money to banks to cover their bad judgement.......they are now free of these 'toxic loans' ........the government COULD make money IF they collect on the toxic mortgages -- but I don't get a 'warm-fuzzy' knowing that the government is going to be put in charge of anything...................

Big difference.

Yet we have so many 'experts' that miss this salient point.

If I'm wrong -- please show me and I'll shut up.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #22
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Dragon, .

We all need to follow your example and write our Congressmen.

I'll be drafting mine tomorrow.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #23
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
You know what - you're really something Dragon.

Dragon for President! (Not right now, but when you're ready)
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:21 AM   #24
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
either way... the government is money hungry and wont want to give out a penny... i hav reason to believe that thier not going to ...not... do anything either... this is a pretty big deal and has large negitive long term effects if there is no action taken... then again... it is the government...

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:27 AM   #25
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Dragon for President! (Not right now, but when you're ready)
i hope this is allowed...
http://www.tsgnet.com/pres.php?id=38...sbhpofzf&altl=
Old 11-20-2008, 12:31 AM   #26
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09'Z28 View Post

That is SO badass! Got chills

Everyone check this out!
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:24 AM   #27
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Very funny...
Old 11-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #28
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Hey...I sent this out to my senators as well. I even drafted another "short" letter and sent it off. They need to hear from us. 59,000 people or so have voted in Texas...and it does NOT look good.

Roughly 59% of people do not want to give the Big 3 the loan. 39% want to give them the loan but with strings attatched. Only 2% said give them the loan w/out strings or expectations.

We MUST do something. Dragon did his part. I did mine. 59,000 other Texans did theirs....even though it is not going the way we need. Do your part....please. Help with two minutes of your time. And if you can, email this on to everyone in your email contacts list. We can't lose these jobs. MILLIONS of people will be affected!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto industry, contact, elected officials, voting