Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #29
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Holy crap that's a lot. I've never had to add oil to my '97 Z28 and I've owned it for 4 years.
it probably hasnt been abused much either

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Does both the v6 and SS come with Mobil1, thanks alot guys, this thread has been very informing!
both should come with mobil1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I think I'm just gonna run a quart of each of em..see what happens...mix em all together...I shall call it Synthromax!
I would not recommend doing that. the different properties/additives of each could counteract each other and give you less performance then any of them alone.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:26 AM   #30
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Does anybody know of a good site to compare Synthetics?
ill post up some links later today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
I quickly learned to just buy my Mobil 1 and filter before hand and then I have my Chevy Service tech guy do the oil change and I just get charged for the labor only.

Much cheaper indeed!
just make sure you keep an eye on them when they change it. ive seen times where people would bring in full synth and they would put regular off brand dino oil in the car and keep the synth for themselves.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #31
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
I've always used Mobil 1, with no problems, but any high quality sythetic should do. I also use a Mobil 1 filter also. They're more expensive, but worth it. My DD gets an oil change every 5,000 miles. My SS gets one every 3,000 or one year, whichever comes first.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #32
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I think I'm just gonna run a quart of each of em..see what happens...mix em all together...I shall call it Synthromax!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #33
Frayles

Drives: 2020 Cadillac CT5 V and 87 Buick GN
"Does both the v6 and SS come with Mobil1, thanks alot guys, this thread has been very informing!"

My guess would be yes on both. My 08 Caddy CTS DI V-6 came from the factory with Mobil 1 and my former Trailblazer SS with the LS2 had Mobil 1 in it as well from day one.
Frayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #34
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
If the new Camaro comes with Mobil 1, then that's what I'd continue to use. (Just my personal preference. )

As others have stated, there are other good quality motor oils available.

For my '99 SS, I switched to Mobil 1 at 500 mi., and have been using it ever since. No leaks, etc., no problems.

I've also found it cheaper to buy my Mobil 1 at COSCO, SAMS CLUB, etc., pick up a filter, and have it changed at a friends shop. Cheaper than using the dealer.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #35
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
I'm an oil connoisseur, and have done years of research, sent samples off for analysis, and read more than I care to admit about oil, oil change intervals, and participated in many debates on the topic. I consider myself highly educated on the subject and need to step in here since there are SO many misconceptions about oil.

If you're REALLY interested in learning about motor oil rather than just throwing around your opinion and what your Dad taught you, then go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and start reading, especially the forums and oil analysis reports. I spent about 2 weeks straight reading through their forums and those guys know their stuff, and have analysis of their oil to back up their facts. You can't BS people when you have an analysis report showing the results of your oil after use. For example, one guy kept Mobil 1 in his Toyota Tundra for 5 years and 10,000 miles. The analysis showed the oil still had plenty of life in it. I was shocked, but the facts don't lie. He was retired and obviously didn't drive much, but 5 years WOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I imagine that keeping one company's enzymes in your engine is better than keeping a whole bunch of different ones for the sake of consistency, but there is not enough conclusive evidence to say that one major brand of oil will give you substantially more miles than another.
Nope, oils are designed to completely work together. As a matter of fact it's a requirement for them to get certified. Several guys on the www.bobistheoilguy.com forum just pour in whatever they have laying around sometimes mixing several brands. Analysis always comes back fine. I personally wouldn't do it, but I'm just anal. There's no technical reason not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
as I have said before in the big "oil" thread

Amsoil is a great oil, as is Mobil1, and is Royal Purple.

however, I have sent oil samples off for comparison tests after running them in my 94 Z28.
RP was top dog
M1 was a little behind
Amsoil was right there with M1.

Wix, Mobil1, K&N are all good oil filters. stay away from Fram tho.
Royal Purple doesn't seem to be very well accepted as a good oil after analysis comes back. Penzoil Platinum seems to be the darling oil with very very good results even after 10,000 miles of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
25,000 is far too long an interval for any motor oil
Only analysis can dictate that. I believe BMW in Europe frequently run their oil to some crazy mileage like that. It comes down to the engine in the car really and how much it contaminates the oil with fuel, soot, etc. With Amsoil, you're changing the filter, but not the oil alot of the time. This requires you to add oil to the sump, which freshens it up so to speak, but isn't a full oil change. That's how they do the 1 year, 25,000 mile oil changes.

Quote:
Does anybody know of a good site to compare Synthetics?
As I've said above, www.bobistheoilguy.com especially this forum:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Board=3&page=1

But be prepared to practically read yourself blind with all the good info.

I've got a buddy who does oil and engine analysis for a living as part of the oil certification process. He says his testing has shown the size of the sump makes a huge difference and that a very safe and quick way to determine you're oil change interval is to multiply the number of quarts the engine takes by 1,000. That'll tell you when you should change your DINO oil. Double that for synthetic. So if the Camaro holds 9qts, then it's a 9,000 mile oil change with DINO oil, and that's being conservative. With Mobil 1 it'd be 18,000 miles. However, I'd never go more than 7,500 on any oil with out having it tested first to find out how it's doing in MY car. If at 7,500 it's fine, then I push it out to 10,000 and see how that does. If 10,000 is fine, then 15,000 and test again. The tests only cost about $25. Once you find the sweet spot for your car, then you'll be saving loads of cash over the life of the vehicle in time and oil changes as well as preserving a natural resource. 3,000 mile oil changes are pushed by JiffyLube and anyone who follows that advice is a real clown.

I sent off a sample today from my car that had 9,000 miles on it. The oil was Castrol GTX 10W30 regular o'l cheap DINO oil. We'll see how she looks and I'll even post the results here when I get them back.

OH, and yes a good oil filter is important, but Mobil1 filters are highly overrated and over priced. Purolator PureOne oil filters have tested AT LEAST as good as Mobil 1, and cost about half the price of the Mobil 1.

From the research I've done as of today, if you want the best setup at the most cost effective price point, Penzoil Platinum and a Purolator PureOne oil filter is your best bet. I'm too cheap to buy synthetic oil when my standard cheap DINO oil lasts a year in my cars, so I don't use synthetic personally, but the analysis I've seen on Penzoil Platinum are very impressive.

No need to take my word for any of this. Read up for yourself at the site I've mentioned above.

Sorry for the novel, but so many people are just plain uneducated regarding oil and oil change intervals.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #36
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
it probably hasnt been abused much either

both should come with mobil1

I would not recommend doing that. the different properties/additives of each could counteract each other and give you less performance then any of them alone.
Umm spike that was supposed to be a joke...ya know bustin on the sales pitch for each brand.....oh well
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #37
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Good Lord....you guys thought I was serious?...Helllo I was makin a funny or tryin to I guess
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #38
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I recommend Royal Purple Mineral break in oil for breaking in engines. Then switch to Royal Purple full synth. My LT1 Corvette, one of the first built, loves the Royal Purple I also use it in my L35 (v6 truck).

http://www.royalpurple.com/breakin-oil.html

http://www.royalpurple.com/motor-oil.html
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #39
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
I sent off a sample today from my car that had 9,000 miles on it.
Where do you send the oil off to?

And I was always under the impression that it's ALL "Dino" oil. Synthetic isn't "made", per say, but has just had its carbon-chains manipulated.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #40
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I read somewhere that Cas GTX is the worst oil. I think one of it's specs was revoked.

I don't think the Mobil 1 filters are overpriced at all. You get what you pay for... an old lesson that I have even burned myself with a few times lol.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #41
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Where do you send the oil off to?

And I was always under the impression that it's ALL "Dino" oil. Synthetic isn't "made", per say, but has just had its carbon-chains manipulated.
DINO is used to denote "non-synthetic". You could be right on the synthetic just having the carbon chains manipulated. I've never looked into that since I don't use synthetic oil. Like I said, if cheap DINO goes a year, why bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
I read somewhere that Cas GTX is the worst oil. I think one of it's specs was revoked.

I don't think the Mobil 1 filters are overpriced at all. You get what you pay for... an old lesson that I have even burned myself with a few times lol.
I'd like to see some documentation on Castrol GTX having any specs revoked. All the research I did 5 or 6 years ago proved it was one of the best DINO oils from an analysis content perspective. I actually sent off fresh samples of several oils a few years back and compared them and the GTX was very good with a nice ZINC content. It also hasn't sheared much in my analysis, meaning if it was a 10W30 when it went in, it was still a 10W30 after 7500 miles or so. A lot of oils go in one thing, and come out sheared down a grade or two which is baaaaad.

If you're ok paying $12 - $15 for your Mobil 1 filter when you can get a Purolator PurOne for $6 that is as good or better that's your perogative.

You want to read up on this though before you continue throwing money away:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...ce.html#mobil1

The whole page is really informative, but particularly that section. I found it interesting how many different filters are actually made by the same companies and re-badged.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #42
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged Custom Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
mine usually 'uses' a quart about every 3000mi
My Yukon started doing that once I switched to full syn. quart low every 3000. pain it is