Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #15
TainoWarrior316

Drives: 2000 Silverado 4.8 V8
I think the Ls3 is underrated at 422 HP and the 1/4 mile times is totally bogus. GM has everyone fooled wait till the Camaro hits the track its gonna rape so much. Go with the Manual because you will enjoy the car more and that is whats its all about. Its not all about numbers on paper Its what you ultimately get out of your Camaro.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
very old numbers quoted. It's been MUCH improved since then.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #17
MrKrisSullivan
New 2 The "DARK-SIDE"

Drives: 2003 Ram HEMI 4x4 Slt 20in
uhhh ohhh... a guy over at the challenger forums ran his bone stock '09 R/T at 13.1 in the quarter-mile.. auto... ouch... It seems that the Challenger is also lighter than stated, i've seen a couple guy's state that they weighed there car with them in it and it weighed 4100lbs... so seems the challenger is closer to 3900lbs and the dyno's have been saying 390hp at the crank... eww 4.9 is good still not insane though but good 13.4 though is average.... it seems in these new muscle car wars...
MrKrisSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:37 PM   #18
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
I'm torn on this as well. I had pretty much decided on the stick but now I'm doubting. I've never owned a stick (know how to drive one but not much) and concerned with getting sick of having to shift all the time. But, the times I've driven a stick, I've always enjoyed it. It'll be my daily driver so I'm trying to figure out if I want to live with the "burden" (if it can be called that) of a stick vs. the added fun it provides. With the auto having paddles, it could be somewhat of a compromise.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:07 AM   #19
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
What is the difference in feel between the hurst short throw shifter and the stock one other than the ball, shorter lengh shifts and it being slightly taller? Which one is more fun to drive and why?

Last edited by Supermans; 11-05-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #20
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
^
Short throw shifters tend to kinda "Click" into gear instead of "move" from one gear to the next. It's a very positive detent for lack of a better way to describe it. You have to pull on the shifter a little harder than the stock one but there is no doubt when you feel it go into gear.

Some people don't like short throw shifters because they don't feel very "refined" They feel like there is tension on the shifter then it just pops into gear with little actual movement.

It's kinda hard to describe. I love the feel of the short throw. But most other people who don't understand the reason behind having one don't usually like them.

my 2 cents
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #21
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
Short throw v regular shift

I have owned both. In fact, my first Z28 had a Hurst Short Throw. I like the short throw because you can pound gears faster. I think I'd like it even more with the 6 speed so rowing through all the gears is easier. My first car was a 4 spd stick.

I was absolutely faster with the short throw over the regular.
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #22
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
If you are going to be in a lot of stop and go traffic, then some people might see that as a negative. I've had both types of transmissions in performance and nonperformance cars alike. With a performance car, for me, there is no question...manual...period.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #23
Joker57676

Drives: 2007 Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
If you are going to be in a lot of stop and go traffic, then some people might see that as a negative. I've had both types of transmissions in performance and nonperformance cars alike. With a performance car, for me, there is no question...manual...period.
+1 My first car was an auto, since then it's been all manual. I don't think I'll ever go back to an auto unless it's a truck or an SUV.

Mark
Joker57676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #24
AutoXCamaro

Drives: 03 Honda Civic Ex
All of my vehicles have been manual and I am going to continue to purchase manual transmissions. This may have something to do with my personality of being a control freak. But I am also a proponent of having the most interaction with the vehicle while driving. This is achieved in a manual transmission. I enjoy autocross in my manual transmission civic and I also have been through police driving courses while attending the academy with an automatic crown vic. Being able to select the gears and keep the engine in the sweet spot is the best feeling.

The only thing fun about driving the automatic crown vic is when you get to turn on the lights and sirens. You automatically think you can do a serpentine 10 mph faster.

Before I get off my soap box, I would like to reiterate what others have been saying. If you sit in traffic to and from work everyday, you might want the automatic. But if you drive manual enough in traffic you can avoid pushing down the clutch every two seconds with some tricks.
AutoXCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #25
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Don't forget, you can control this auto.
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #26
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeermanSS View Post
Don't forget, you can control this auto.
and it won't interfere.

Manuals are more fun unless you are in a lot of stop and go traffic. We don't really know anything about what sort of performance improvements are available for the L99 vs LS3 but there shouldn't be much of a difference.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #27
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
yeah thats the best part about this auto. You can drive it instead of being driven by it. look into escalade aftermarket parts. same engine as the 08's.
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #28
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Gotta be a stick for me
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote