Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I can't see how the ZL1 could be less efficient than the CTS-V. Smaller cross section = less drag = better highway fuel economy. Less weight = better city. Better breathing engine = better fuel economy in general. It may not be much, but a little here and a little there should be enough to reduce the tax on both manuals & autos by one bracket. There is a chance that the manual could skip the tax, but I don't think thats too likely
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
So, what do the Feds use this tax to pay for - Roads? Year end bonus? Bribes to OPEC?
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
So, what do the Feds use this tax to pay for - Roads? Year end bonus? Bribes to OPEC?
From EPA site:

Quote:
The Energy Tax Act of 1978 imposes a Gas Guzzler Tax on manufacturers who sell cars that fail to meet certain statutory fuel economy levels. This tax does not apply to minivans, sport utility vehicles, and pick-up trucks. Congress did not impose a gas guzzler tax on these vehicle types because in 1978, at the time the law was enacted, they represented a relatively small fraction of the overall fleet of passenger vehicles and were used more for business purposes than personal transportation. The tax is collected by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and normally paid by the manufacturer or importer. The amount of the tax paid is displayed on the vehicle’s fuel economy label (the window sticker on new cars).
I remember reading somewhere "official" that the original intent was to fund grants that supported the development of efficient vehicles...but I wouldn't be surprised if that noble goal has since been perverted into a general-fund padding...
Old 09-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #18
rykeith

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
They spend it on research to figure out how to take more money from us.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #19
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
This is the money quote of the Tax Act - "The Energy Tax Act of 1978 imposes a Gas Guzzler Tax on manufacturers who sell cars that fail to meet certain statutory fuel economy levels".

Just goes to show when Government imposes higher taxes on corporations they simply pass it onto the consumer. The only difference with the GG Tax is that it is a line item so you know exactly what it is the corporation is passing along to you.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa

The gas guzzler tax is a parasitic leech named "government attempt to control your decisions."

I have no intention of letting that leech bleed out my joy in driving the ZL1, onerous though it may be.

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #21
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Without carbon dioxide in the air all the trees, bushes, flowers etc. would die. Anyone who buys a gas guzzler should be given a discount because they are helping the enviorment
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Enough opinions about the GG tax. Please get back to discussing how it relates to the ZL1, thank you.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #23
DITCHDIGGER

Drives: Boring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper Top View Post
Went to my local Chevy dealership today and spoke with a salesman about the New ZL1. He informed me of the same basic information as this web-site but added he felt there would be a gas gluzzer tax added to the sticker price once the vehicle hits dealerships next year. He said the gas gluzzer tax is based on the horsepower to weight ratio and felt the ZL1 would fall into this catagory. The current gas gluzzer tax on the ZR1 Corvette is $3000. He said depending on the final weight of the ZL1, he felt the Gas Gluzzer Tax would be $2500 - $2700. Anyone hearing this rumor?

According to the sticker on the ZR1 at the OC auto show, the Gas tax is $1000.
DITCHDIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #24
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITCHDIGGER View Post
According to the sticker on the ZR1 at the OC auto show, the Gas tax is $1000.
2012 ZR1 is 14 city/21 Hwy for 17 combined with its manual tranny. My guess is it would be 13 City and 20 Hwy for about 15-16 combined with the auto as it would be geared a little taller like they do on the base model Vettes with an Auto.

The 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 gets hit with the same $1000 as the ZR1 as it comes in 14/23 with 17 combined (which is the key number in determing where the car falls on the guzzler tax schedule) and that is through their decade old 5 speed slush box with cylinder deactivation. The 2011/2012 auto tranny CTS V comes in at 12/18 and 14 combined which is why it gets hit much harder ($2600) than the manual that comes in at 14/19/16 ($1300).

If you use the CTS V as the example the tax is really gonna start to hurt but not something I am going to let stand in my way, just means I have to save a little longer to cover it. If the ZR1 is the measure than there is hope that with 2nd gear starts in the auto, some creative tuning to keep the shift schedule out of boost during "normal" acceleration, and a tall enough ratio so she sips while crusing on the highway us auto folks would only take the $1000 hit.

Being this is all speculation, we'll no for sure in a couple of months, but as I already said, I am just planning for the worst...

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:55 AM   #25
robertway

One more caveat right from http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml;

"The fuel economy figures used to determine the Gas Guzzler Tax are different from the fuel economy values provided on this web site and in the Fuel Economy Guide. The tax does not depend on the actual on-the-road fuel economy, which may be more or less than the EPA published value for some drivers."

This is why the ZR1 for example comes in at 17mpg combined which on the surface would land it in the tax schedule to take a $3000 guzzler hit but the real number the epa uses is apparently one that lands it in the "At least 21.5, but less than 22.5" range. Where you land in the schedule is determined by the adjusted fuel economy number, the forula is found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_Guzzler_Tax

For those that care, here is the tax form (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f6197.pdf) the auto mfrs seem to have to fill out and attach a REALLY big check to and send to the feds so they can build a pet light rail project that nobody will commute on in a struggling district to name after the sitting congressman in hopes of getting him/her re-elected ... sorry.. I digress...

Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #26
scritchy

Drives: Black 2LT RS CGM Rallys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synerbee View Post
Without carbon dioxide in the air all the trees, bushes, flowers etc. would die. Anyone who buys a gas guzzler should be given a discount because they are helping the enviorment
Car exhaust is carbon monoxide, not carbon dioxide.
scritchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #27
carman

Drives: '87 IROC Z, '91 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by scritchy View Post
Car exhaust is carbon monoxide, not carbon dioxide.
Wrong. Car exhaust contains both.
carman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #28
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by carman View Post
Wrong. Car exhaust contains both.
Gonna have to go with carman on this one, monoxide is the one that has always gotten the press coverage until more recent times. As an aside, carbon dioxide comes out of your mouth as well... just thought I'd mention that.... The cars come with a "carbon" rating on the fuel mileage sticker but as of yet it doesn't impact the price of the car or taxes levied against it... YET.

I think we'd all be thankful if GM is able to have no GG Tax on the manual and somewhere in the $1000-$1300 range at most for the auto. It would just go to show the heads down engineering and tuning ability they have in their arsenal and the continual maturation of the LS platform and the LSA in particular.