Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #15
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Try plugging the computer directly into the modem and running a test. If you still only get 33 Mbps then you're more than likely receiving slower service than you're paying for (however, Internet service is isually advertised as "max speed" so you'll usually only get that speed when there isn't much traffic through your ISP, usually in the early morning hours). If the test shows near 100 Mbps then its likely you're being limited by the wireless hardware at your computer. That particular modem is a dual-band modem; is your computer able to detect 2 different wifi signals coming from that modem?
I was sort of curious about the dual band that I read on the box. wasn't sure what that meant. How do I know if it detects 2 different wifi signals? when I open up the wifi, it shows maybe 10-15 wifi options from people around me. I just selected the one that was on the bottom of the modem. And there was only that one that I saw.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #16
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
You can also help out your wireless network by choosing a channel that is as far away from surrounding networks as possible.

For example if your neighbor is using channel 10, you should try using a low channel.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
I was sort of curious about the dual band that I read on the box. wasn't sure what that meant. How do I know if it detects 2 different wifi signals? when I open up the wifi, it shows maybe 10-15 wifi options from people around me. I just selected the one that was on the bottom of the modem. And there was only that one that I saw.
Dual band means that there are two wireless channels operating at the same time. The more common channel that practically every wifi device uses is on the 2.4Ghz frequency, while some newer devices use a 5 Ghz frequency (which is less crowded and has less interference from other devices like cordless phones, radio controllers, etc) that allows for faster speeds. The main benefit of a dual band is that you can set up slower streaming devices like your phones and laptops if they're used mainly for browsing and email, while setting up devices that benefit from faster data speeds like systems that are used for gaming and video streaming.

I think netgear uses "Netgear 2.4 G" for the 2.4 Ghz band and "Netgear Dualband N" for the 5Ghz band. I can't remember exactly what names netgear uses for their wifi since I changed mine a while back. Mine are "Firecracker" for the 2.4 and "Rocket" for the 5, lol.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #18
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Dual band means that there are two wireless channels operating at the same time. The more common channel that practically every wifi device uses is on the 2.4Ghz frequency, while some newer devices use a 5 Ghz frequency (which is less crowded and has less interference from other devices like cordless phones, radio controllers, etc) that allows for faster speeds. The main benefit of a dual band is that you can set up slower streaming devices like your phones and laptops if they're used mainly for browsing and email, while setting up devices that benefit from faster data speeds like systems that are used for gaming and video streaming.

I think netgear uses "Netgear 2.4 G" for the 2.4 Ghz band and "Netgear Dualband N" for the 5Ghz band. I can't remember exactly what names netgear uses for their wifi since I changed mine a while back. Mine are "Firecracker" for the 2.4 and "Rocket" for the 5, lol.
wow, that is awesome. I'll have to mess around with it. would be great to put the xbox and computer on the 5Ghz band.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #19
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Great info, thanks! I'm currently in an Apartment. Fairly new complex. I'd say 5 years old, at the most, but I suppose they could have still used cheap wiring. I'm not sure if I can just ask the cable company to switch stuff out, or if i'd have to contact the apartment complex. If it's a huge hassle, then i'll just have to live with what I have, until we purchase a house.
Since you are in an apartment I guess that wouldn't be an option. I was just throwing that out there. As someone else mentioned that 100mbs is a Peak number. Fine print on my contract has "speeds are not guaranteed".
Old 10-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #20
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
just for giggles... try this one

Internet connectivity speed test

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #21
PT145SS

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2008 MB E50, 2004 RAM
My netgear router is dual band. I have 3 TVs, my son's xbox, and 1 ipad that run through the 5 ghz connection. Most everything else connects through the 2.4 ghz connection or are wired. I personally have not realized any discernible difference between the two wireless connections. One would expect a difference in favor of the 5 ghz (given it is configured correctly for the given usage). Unfortunately I change just about everything I can on the router so that nothing is “out of the box” to help prevent hacking. With that said, I may have changed something prevents me from realizing a true difference between wireless connections.

PT145SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #22
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
Quote:
I upgraded our internet to 100Mbps download speed. I ran a speed test through the wireless computer and we were only getting 13.4Mbps. Checked out my hardware and the modem was a DOCSIS 2.0 and the router was also an outdated one, and only good for maybe one computer using internet. So, I went to best buy and purchased a Netgear N600 C3700 Modem/Router combo. Got it all hooked up, called my internet provider and all was good to go. I ran another speed test and it did improve a lot, 33Mbps. My only question is, what is everyone else's download speed and what speed are you paying for? 33Mbps still seems a bit slow for the 100Mbps that I'm paying for. If I downgrade to the 50Mbps download speed package, would I still be getting the 33Mbps, or will that go down?
Hello.

First of all, never use a modem router combo, these generally slower than their counter part.Get a dedicated modem and a Linksys router with wireless N/AC capability so you can support speed over 54Mbps.

Secondly, on the system that you're doing the test with. Make sure that your wireless adapter isn't A/B/G. You're only limited to 54Mbps with these.

Finally, depending on the strength of the wireless signal or if there are any interference, you may not get the 100Mbps advertised.

I recommend you looking in to a wireless Power line solution by Linksys.
All you need to do is plug the modem in to the source power line hub.
Plug any additional wireless hub in rooms of your house.
This will ensure 100% signal where ever you go.

Thanks
VeeGeeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #23
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Also remember that most ISP's rate their throughput in megabits, while your computer or speed test may be displaying megabytes.

100 Mbps is actually 12.5 MBps. I see people make this mistake all the time.

I should clarify by saying it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing, but I'm not sure what tool you're using to verify your speed.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #24
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGeeTea View Post
Hello.

First of all, never use a modem router combo, these generally slower than their counter part.Get a dedicated modem and a Linksys router with wireless N/AC capability so you can support speed over 54Mbps.

Secondly, on the system that you're doing the test with. Make sure that your wireless adapter isn't A/B/G. You're only limited to 54Mbps with these.

Finally, depending on the strength of the wireless signal or if there are any interference, you may not get the 100Mbps advertised.

Thanks
The modem/router combo I bought advertises up to 340Mbps download speed. it also says up to 300 + 300Mbps, assuming that's for each band. I know i'll never get that much, or ever need that much, but I over bought since I figured it's better to have too much than not enough. lol It's also DOCSIS 3.0 and 802.11n. From all the reviews, it seemed like a good purchase.

As for the wireless computer and not being A/B/G, i'm not sure what that means. The wireless card in my dell is an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth 4.0, if that helps.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #25
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Also remember that most ISP's rate their throughput in megabits, while your computer or speed test may be displaying megabytes.

100 Mbps is actually 12.5 MBps. I see people make this mistake all the time.

I should clarify by saying it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing, but I'm not sure what tool you're using to verify your speed.
This is interesting. I didn't even think of that. I will run more tests when I get home. I'm using the speed test from cox.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #26
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
The modem/router combo I bought advertises up to 340Mbps download speed. it also says up to 300 + 300Mbps, assuming that's for each band. I know i'll never get that much, or ever need that much, but I over bought since I figured it's better to have too much than not enough. lol It's also DOCSIS 3.0 and 802.11n. From all the reviews, it seemed like a good purchase.

As for the wireless computer and not being A/B/G, i'm not sure what that means. The wireless card in my dell is an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth 4.0, if that helps.
I've never had good luck with the modem/wireless router combos. I have a DOCSIS 3.0 and a separate wireless router. I'm assuming your modem/router has physical Ethernet ports, you might try plugging your computer directly in and running your tests just to see if it's the wireless portion causing the issue.

Quote:
This is interesting. I didn't even think of that. I will run more tests when I get home. I'm using the speed test from cox.
If you're using the one from Cox, it's probably in Mbps to match what they advertise. Even though it's cable, your speeds will depend on how far you are from their trunk, and the number of people you share that connection with. The problems with that aren't as bad as they are with DSL, but it can still suffer if you share with a lot of people.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #27
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I've never had good luck with the modem/wireless router combos. I have a DOCSIS 3.0 and a separate wireless router. I'm assuming your modem/router has physical Ethernet ports, you might try plugging your computer directly in and running your tests just to see if it's the wireless portion causing the issue.

If you're using the one from Cox, it's probably in Mbps to match what they advertise. Even though it's cable, your speeds will depend on how far you are from their trunk, and the number of people you share that connection with. The problems with that aren't as bad as they are with DSL, but it can still suffer if you share with a lot of people.
I took the dual modem / router supplied by the cable company and connected it to a dual speed wireless router through the ethernet cable. I also have my TV hooked to the cable modem through an ethernet cable. It is super fast that way. All my security cameras and remote light switches are run through the secondary router . Mine is an Asus, I bought a Netgear first and it was terribly slow and short range. It wouldn't even hook up from one end of my house to the other even though I had it in the center of the house. The box said extra long range on it LOL. My Asus has full strength all over my house and only loses one bar outside in my workshop.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #28
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGeeTea View Post
Hello.

Thanks
I agree with you on getting a separate modem and router, with the exception of the particular modem/router in the OP. It has had great reviews, similar to other dedicated routers in its segment.