Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Ford, will they counter GM?

Okay, once the 2010 Camaro is out and about for the public to buy, what will Ford do to counter the new Chevy Camaro's?

I'm wondering if they will do anything at all to keep people buying new Mustangs since theres no Camaro or Firebirds to compete with currently. I don't really see many options Ford will have to come out with something new to keep the Mustangs up with the Camaro's. I'm sure they will though.. Either it being performance wise, or even price.
_

Personally I don't like Fords but I do think new model Mustangs look decent and I honestly think Ford will think of something to counter GM. Although I don't think Ford can top the Camaro no matter what they do.

I'm curious of what others think Ford will do, and if so, what will it be? Discuss.

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I had heard that Ford will offer "special" models for the immediate future, followed by a mild makeover and finally a fairly significant restyle around the time the Camaro arrives, with the only body panel remaining "as is" being the roof.

I would think Ford would do something with the Mustang seeing as the current body style is well into its life cycle. Unless there is a significant change, the current body style will look "dated" when the Camaro arrives.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
I doubt ford will lift a finger to do anything. I think they've got it in their heads that people love the mustang and that no matter what GM or Chrysler does, sales of mustangs will hold steady.

I've heard folks brag about their mustang like it's really something. They don't seem to be too concerned that it's over weight and under powered, they're more enthralled with the fact that.. it's a mustang.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
I remember reading that the mustang was getting a facelift for 09 when the camaro comes out. I remember reading they were getting more horses to. No matter what they do they will still be a dime a dozen, thats why I wont trade in my V6 camaro for a mustang, mustang gt, saleen, roush, boss, shelby gt 500, califorinia edition, king of the road or what ever else the come up with
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:55 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
I remember reading that the mustang was getting a facelift for 09 when the camaro comes out. I remember reading they were getting more horses to. No matter what they do they will still be a dime a dozen, thats why I wont trade in my V6 camaro for a mustang, mustang gt, saleen, roush, boss, shelby gt 500, califorinia edition, king of the road or what ever else the come up with
Bingo.

Remember the 09 edition stuff. There will still be too many. Tons of different versions.

On the other hand, I would take the GT500 over a V6.

So I could sell it and get a Berger SS LS7!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Okay, once the 2010 Camaro is out and about for the public to buy, what will Ford do to counter the new Chevy Camaro's?

I'm wondering if they will do anything at all to keep people buying new Mustangs since theres no Camaro or Firebirds to compete with currently. I don't really see many options Ford will have to come out with something new to keep the Mustangs up with the Camaro's. I'm sure they will though.. Either it being performance wise, or even price.
_

Personally I don't like Fords but I do think new model Mustangs look decent and I honestly think Ford will think of something to counter GM. Although I don't think Ford can top the Camaro no matter what they do.

I'm curious of what others think Ford will do, and if so, what will it be? Discuss.
Ford will refresh the exterior of the Mustang at least to compete with the Camaro. This is one of the reasons the Camaro doesn't have as much of a retro look as the Mustang does now, by the time it hits showrooms they would be behind the 8 ball.
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Pay attention to the Ford Trucks in the near future.

There is a new Boss engine lineup that is under development. It will first go into the F series trucks, then later the Mustangs.

The series of the engines were originally designated as Hurricane, but it is speculated they will revive the Boss name to give it some name recognition like with the HEMI or LS engines.

The truck engine is expected to be 6.2L, while a smaller 5.8L engine is expected to be offered in the Mustang in following years. The block is also designed to have displacements up to 7.0L if necessary.

Here are some links;

http://www.themustangnews.com/fomoco...6hurricane.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine

I expect this response will come in the 2010/2011 model year.

The face lift in 2009 is only a delaying action to buy time for a larger counter to the Camaro and Challenger later IMHO.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Oh yeah...the muscle wars will be on. Ford will have a response and that's exactly what WE need...not necessarily GM...but US. That's why we continue to get more hp for less cash. They have to compete w/ each other.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Like the 2nd post said, that's exactly what they will do.

You know, I've always thought that the new Mustang could have looked TONS better but Ford messed it up (just pay attention to that long butt by the rear wheels that never ends). I've seen kits that make it look better (they went TOO retro for my taste, Dodge did it a bit also but I think they still did better than Ford) but one thing is FOR SURE!!!!!!

The Camaro makes the Mustang look HORRIBLE, it is WAY BETTER LOOKING than the Mustang and GM did retro right.

What I'd suggest to Ford, the engines are OK but make the famous 5.0 again (modernized of course) and try to match the looks of the Camaro.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
OverAnxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Pay attention to the Ford Trucks in the near future.

There is a new Boss engine lineup that is under development. It will first go into the F series trucks, then later the Mustangs.

The series of the engines were originally designated as Hurricane, but it is speculated they will revive the Boss name to give it some name recognition like with the HEMI or LS engines.

The truck engine is expected to be 6.2L, while a smaller 5.8L engine is expected to be offered in the Mustang in following years. The block is also designed to have displacements up to 7.0L if necessary.

Here are some links;

http://www.themustangnews.com/fomoco...6hurricane.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine

I expect this response will come in the 2010/2011 model year.

The face lift in 2009 is only a delaying action to buy time for a larger counter to the Camaro and Challenger later IMHO.
Stock for stock GM light duty pickups have always pulled on Ford light duty pickups, not much concern here. Ford needed a SC to beat the GM trucks
Old 10-25-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
^ That's cause, "This is our Country!"

as opposed to, "Have you driven a Ford lately?"

ans: "........your point?"
Old 10-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #12
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Stock for stock GM light duty pickups have always pulled on Ford light duty pickups, not much concern here. Ford needed a SC to beat the GM trucks

That might be.....but my point is that Ford's new engines will go into their trucks first, and if you want a glimpse into the future of Mustangs, then the Ford trucks will give you the first hint.

Either way the 4.6L and 5.4L modular engines from Ford are not long for this world.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
I doubt ford will lift a finger to do anything. I think they've got it in their heads that people love the mustang and that no matter what GM or Chrysler does, sales of mustangs will hold steady.

I've heard folks brag about their mustang like it's really something. They don't seem to be too concerned that it's over weight and under powered, they're more enthralled with the fact that.. it's a mustang.
+1

this statement is the most accurate statement I have ever read about that make and model vehicle.

For now I am sure Ford is just worried about how the car "looks". I am expecting to see this happening to the mustang:

1) giugiaro concept looking front end
2) wider tires (to make car look more menacing)
3) more curves
4) slight power increase somehow
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
OverAnxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post

I disagree, Ford is smarter than that. We've already read Ford will probably refresh the Exterior of the Mustang by 2009 or so, just in time to compete with the Camaro.

Ford has been laughing all the way to the bank with the Mustang ever since the 2003 model year. The 2005 new Mustang was a blockbuster hit, they flew off showroom floors for years.