Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
Exclamation Take my Warning...YOUNG DRIVERS

I know the majority of the crowd on these forums are 35-40 years and older. However, we know there are a few blessed and very fortunate 16-19 year old owners on here as well, including myself. For some of us, we've had to work hard in school to pull good grades and at our jobs to save up all that we could for X number of years, and for others they just got lucky on their birthday. Either way, we can ALL agree that owning a 5th gen Camaro, whether V6 or V8, at any age below 20 is unbelievable.

A few nights ago, I got my first ticket for speeding . I've only held my license for a year and a half now and already, through 1 dumb and careless decision i made, I have put points onto my (previously)clean record at too young of an age. I don't blame the car and I certainly don't blame anybody but myself. Because of the decision I made, and the fact that I got ticketed, I will have to go through quite a process to make things the best that I can for my driving record. First of all, when you get ticketed for speeding with a radar OR the air laser, YOU are at NO position to blame anyone/thing else or not take responsibilities of your actions(not a position you ever want to be in, in any incident). At this point, the ball is in the officer's and the judge's court, putting ME at a complete disadvantage.

I was on a (I thought) completely empty road at night, and decided to open her up for a bit. As soon as I passed the car with no lights on at the U-turn, and saw the radar beacon flash inside that vehicle as I passed...I knew I was done. The Officer then threw on all the flashing lights and trailed behind me. I pulled over before the officer even got close. It was the most nervous I had ever been in my life and I will never want to to repeat that feeling and experience. The Officer was friendly, but made her point clear. I was 25 over and clearly not by accident. There's no excuse for being that reckless...AT ALL. After breaking the news to my parents who had trusted me with this vehicle for 7 months now, their view on me has completely changed and my opportunity of operating this vehicle has obviously been revoked. I must now have to pay $212 for the ticket, $75 for driver improvement class, court fee, and insurance increase of $50-$100 biannually. I will also get 6 points put on my license...only 6 more away from getting suspended. It is all too easy to go from a good driving record to a bad one. It was the stupidiest & most expensive decision I have made in my life, for a few seconds of speed. If one is so tempted, or occasionally does make this thoughtless decision I made...I URGE you to re-think the consequences. Somebody is always watching, maybe not the first time, maybe not even the second time...but eventually time will catch up and reckless decisions like these, put not only you and your vehicle in danger, but MORE importantly those around you if God forbid you lose control. So blast your slow jams and cruise in your Camaro...speeding is not worth all of the consequences that come with it.
:(
Old 12-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
RoyalKev

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Damn dude that sucks Va is the worst state to get tickets
RoyalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
SFCamaroSS
Proud To Serve

Drives: 2011 CGM/SILVER 2SS W/RS Package
Very well stated.. Good luck with getting all this fixed
Old 12-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
DavidCigam

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS A6
Damn that sucks, good luck with it all.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Wow. Sorry for your delema. As an older guy with one of these great new Camaros I can feel for you. I got a speeding ticket last year in my new Camaro (91 in a 65) so it can happen to anyone. I think back to the dumb/stupid stuff I did even as 20-24 years old and now realize you don't become a mature adult until after that. Since I got my ticket I drive this SS like theres a trooper around every corner- Never more than 5-10 over the limit.

Last edited by myold88; 12-02-2010 at 03:47 PM.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Wow. I am sorry to hear about this, but I am very impressed with the way you are handling this. Not even a hint of anger toward ths officer and not a hint of blaming someone else. You sir are a stand up person. I commend you. I suspect your parents know you are a fine young man as well.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Glad you manned up and stated that you knew you were wrong. Consequenses suck.

She did you a favor for not letting you go. Your next high speed romp could have ended up killing you or somebody else, or at the very least, screwed up your car very badly.

I commend you for not going the "EFFFING BITCH COP DIDN'T LET ME GO!" route.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
BriCo84

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT w/RS
Here's my insight as a 26 year old and someone with their first sports car.

I was lucky enough to get (at least what i think) is a pretty cool car from my parents when I was in highschool. A jeep Wrangler Sport. Contrary to what most people think, the Inline 6 wrangler, has a little bit of pickup (decent engine+light weight car=not too shabby). I made a LOT of stupid decisions driving in high school. I got away with a lot, and other things I did not. I have since learned to drive much more carefully, and realize now how stupid i was back then. I received probably....i'd say 4 tickets in my career (all in the jeep). All I got off on with what's called "deferred disposition" (btw, half of those were in FL, the other half in TX). I don't know what the laws are in VA but everyone of my tickets I was able to get NO points simply by getting deffered disposition. On 1 or 2 of these it was less than 10 mph over so i rolled the dice and went lawyer less. got reduced fines, took the course, no tickets for the following 6 months and it was essentially wiped from my record (i don't think it is WIPED, but whatever it is, it doesn't matter. no points, wasn't reported to insurance). Yes, the money part of it sucks, but i think the important thing is the points. Now a couple of these I was at least 20 mph over. Got a lawyer for $70, they knocked the fees down at least $50 and got me the deferred disposition in both cases.

I have had my camaro for 2 months....it's definitely different knowing you have the power and speed in the sports car (that i didn't have in the jeep), and it is tempting to open it up. And sometimes...i do roll the dice, although ususally not too crazy. But I do know a couple things. 1, if i had had this car in high school i probably would have been in big trouble. 2, with age comes self control, wisdom, and experience. you will get all 3 with time, remember you have only been driving for 1 year, in driving terms that makes you a toddler. You will learn to take it easy on the roads. and 3, and most importantly, GET A LAWYER. It is worth, TRUST ME. there is NO reason you should be getting 6 points on your license for a simple speeding violation when you have a clean record.

Hope that helps you, and anyone else.

Good luck, and take it easy out there man
Old 12-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
:P

lol my parents own a dmv and my dad taught over 1000 people how to drive.. so i know how bad things get.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
Sorry about losing the car. That's a drag. Hopefully you'll get it back soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
...I drive this SS like theres a trooper around every corner- Never more than 5-10 over the limit.
The car is too tempting for young and older. Opened mine up once, was lucky and didn't get caught. Been driving it 5-10 over pretty much since.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Seriously, you are on the right track taking accountability like that. It is people who do not learn from their mistakes that you really have to watch out for. Your parents are probably angry, but they understand. If you do it again, they won't be so understanding. You'll get the car back.

But one more thing to make note of is that speeding at night is the WORST time to speed. You can't see anything past your headlights and you never know what's ahead of you that might require maximum breaking or skilled maneuvering. I am not endorsing speeding, but don't kill yourself over what you did. Just learn not to let your lead foot get the better of you.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
212.00 for 25 over? DAMN thats CHEAP!

I got hit for 5-over and had to pay 196.00!

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
212.00 for 25 over? DAMN thats CHEAP!

I got hit for 5-over and had to pay 196.00!
5 over?? really? you can be 5 over just from momentum going down a small hill... I hope you fought that one in court Normally cops won't pull you over unless you are going 10 around over or more from what I've experienced and heard on forums.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Well, SnoopyAce7, sometimes lessons learned earlier are blessings to prevent you from learning harder lessons later. I got my first ticket when I was 18 and it involved an accident (with no injuries thankfully), all because I didn't look both ways twice before crossing a blindish intersection. Now I am 37 and still remember that incident anytime I am about to cross an intersection. The lesson stuck like glue. Good luck to you.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote