Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Design Concepts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Melling oil pumps, difference between the High Pressure and High Volume models???

In the middle of doing a cam swap and considering upgrading the oil pump while I am in there. What is the difference between the high volume and high pressure Melling pumps and what would one use on a stock motor with the usual bolt-ons and cam. I know I have seen threads that suggest High Volume by why it and not the High Pressure.

Thanks in advance....

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
lrc250
480 HP 2010 2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Bump, I'm interested in this as well.
3300:4/18/09
3400 (broadcast)April 25, 2009
3800 (produced):May 4, 2009 #7470
4200 (Shipped): June 1, 2009
5000 (At Dealer) June 9,2009

374.9 rwhp & 371.7 rwtq - bone stock @ 85 deg.
lrc250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
67ss&99ss
Andy

Drives: a few muscle cars
A high volume pump means you are moving more oil with the same oil pump speed. If you do not have a larger than stock oil pan it makes no sense to have a high volume pump. You can actually pump the pan dry in some instances.

A high pressure pump has a stiffer spring on the pressure relief valve. Thus, the oil pump will generate more oil pressure before the relieve valve opens to maintain a certain pressure. I wouldn't recommend this type of pump either because it can put excessive pressure on main and rod bearings. Newer engines are built to much tighter tolerances and typically hold better oil pressure than older engines. Another problem with high pressure is that it will eat horsepower. Just think about it. Your putting more pressure on your rotating assembly as your rpms are increasing.

I would stick with a stock volume/pressure pump if you have a stock oil pan. This isn't an LS based engine, but I run a melling m-select high volume pump on my 406 small block. Reason being is that I have a 7 quart pan with a windage tray, internal baffling and a trap door in the sump. The pump generates a maximum of 50 psi of oil pressure with valvoline VR1 10w30 oil when the engine is fully warmed up at 180*.

If I were upgrading an LS based engine by doing a cam swap would spend the money solidifying the valve train with a set of roller or shaft mounted rocker arms. You will pick up more horsepower and will reduce the probability of a valve train failure at high rpm.
1974 'Cuda: 340|4 speed|Dana 60|4.10s|Posi
1999 Camaro SS: Longtubes|True Duals|Lid|LS6|TT2s

67ss&99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss&99ss View Post
A high volume pump means you are moving more oil with the same oil pump speed. If you do not have a larger than stock oil pan it makes no sense to have a high volume pump. You can actually pump the pan dry in some instances.

A high pressure pump has a stiffer spring on the pressure relief valve. Thus, the oil pump will generate more oil pressure before the relieve valve opens to maintain a certain pressure. I wouldn't recommend this type of pump either because it can put excessive pressure on main and rod bearings. Newer engines are built to much tighter tolerances and typically hold better oil pressure than older engines. Another problem with high pressure is that it will eat horsepower. Just think about it. Your putting more pressure on your rotating assembly as your rpms are increasing.

I would stick with a stock volume/pressure pump if you have a stock oil pan. This isn't an LS based engine, but I run a melling m-select high volume pump on my 406 small block. Reason being is that I have a 7 quart pan with a windage tray, internal baffling and a trap door in the sump. The pump generates a maximum of 50 psi of oil pressure with valvoline VR1 10w30 oil when the engine is fully warmed up at 180*.

If I were upgrading an LS based engine by doing a cam swap would spend the money solidifying the valve train with a set of roller or shaft mounted rocker arms. You will pick up more horsepower and will reduce the probability of a valve train failure at high rpm.
+1 on using a stock pump. High pressure pump could blow out your rear main or a couple other oil seals from the higher pressures. A high volume pump could suck your pan dry very quickly at high revs.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
We use the Melling Hv 10296 in most of our builds. We wont install a stock or ported shimmed stock pump in one of our engines. The OP is insurance, something to think about. If your spinning the engine at rpms more than normal it might be wise to look at the whole picture. We have never had an issue with the oil pan being sucked dry on a hi volume pump, we turn 7000 rpms with a 4.250 stroke LSx 457 all the time.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Thanks for the feedback folks,, I think I will just stay with the stock pump for now. Even the shop I am dealing with said they really only consider swapping them to a Melling on a stock cube implementation if there are a lot of mikes on the car and they're doing a cam swap. Kind of like "the car has 60k miles and we're in there already".

Thanks again....

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
Robertway i guess u havent seen my thread on stock pumps..imma try to locate it and give a heads up friend.
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=162556&page=2 check this out..just my experience

every race inspired, or upgraded car has this melling swap done...there are many threads on here and other forums...our stock pumps are GARBAGE ..its not the pressure...they are prone to fail...they get jammed and die. this can happen any where, any time..do u wanna risk this. If u want to decrease pressure and worry about bearings etc...go a lighter oil..the new snys are so good that oil pressure isnt so much an issue, its oil flow that matters most....oil starvation will kill an engine quick...full oil pump failure will destroy the engine instantly unless u are lucky like i was....unless u shut it down right on the spot. I have yet to see any real race company or true race shop stay with a stock pump...get it done....my press at idle cold is about 50...then goes to slightly above 30 and at full hot is about 28...at 2k it goes to about 45, and stay about 55 at full rpms...do u think this too much?

Last edited by ipimpthisc; 09-27-2011 at 01:23 PM.
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
BOSS_HOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I made the mistake of sticking with the stock oil pump on my cam swap...and what a mistake, luckily it failed when I was at idle in my garage. Tore the motor down to find the oil pump gears inside had seized. Installed a 10296 melling and all is good...
2010 2SS/RS 1 7/8" Long Tube American Racing Headers w/high flow cats, Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Shifter, JRE 445 Street Cam Package tuned via SCT, Pedders Street 1 Kit.
BOSS_HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote