Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
J-Rod6410
M6 10 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
Angry Why wont my cammed car lope??? Video added!

Looking for some help. I've installed the bolt-ons....LT headers, CAI but I wanted more power..... but I especially wanted my car to lope heavily at idle. So then I installed a cam kit myself a few months ago. I then had it tuned by someone who, well, did his best. Anyway, after going back to him several times to tweak here and there, he finally got the car to lope...when the a/c compressor is on only Now that its cold, the a/c doesnt run and the idle sounds like crap(to me). It idles pretty damn smooth. I loved it when the car loped and rocked back and forth Problem is it ran badly, bucked, surged, hesitated and was exremely rich. Now had it retuned by someone else(prefer to keep names out). Car runs alot better, a/f ratio is now good and picked up a few ponies but the lope is all but gone

I got a BIG cam because I wanted a BIG lope. Specs are 235/251 621/624 113 lsa. So can any tuners or somebody out there tell me what parameters need to be adjusted in the idle to make it lope and rock back and forth(EFI Live). Right now its kind of choppy but nowhere near where I'd like it to be.

EDIT: This is a video of my car. I decided to add one to the first post due to all the confusion

BUT, I want it to sound like this. You can really hear it at the :55 mark of vid:

Please help me (and my tuner). Thanks in advance for any help

919RWHP 749RWTQ ECS S/C stock bottom end
Built by: J-Rod.... Tuned by: Matt Sorian @ FSP (floridaspeedandpower.com)
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: J_Rod6410

Last edited by J-Rod6410; 01-23-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Added video
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
After reading that incredible post, that's about 2 minutes of my life I'll never get back...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
What's your Idle set at???
Cincy Speed Facebook Buildhttps://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2994113&type=1
Cam5 Build Thread...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341052
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Seriously?
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
I never buy a camshaft for the sound. With that being said. IS you car a manual or auto? A manual car can get away with more because it doesnt need to idle in gear.

I tend to pick mild camshafts because after driving big camshaft cars on the street I got sick of surging etc and poor around town drivability. The specs you stated are just a lil bit smaller then the hydraulic roller I am putting in my 8.85 liter motor.
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
Chalk_2

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
It sounds pretty lopy to me.
Chalk_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #7
Wilburbeest
Think With Your Dipstick!

Drives: 1997 Camaro Z28
Really?

1997 Camaro Z28 (LT1/T56): K&N CAI | Kooks 1 3/4" LTs | 3" Custom Duals | UMI LCAs w/ relocation brackets | UMI adj. panhard bar | UMI adj. torque arm | Koni SA shocks | Strano Springs | Ram Powergrip clutch | Pro 5.0 shifter | skip shift eliminator kit | WS6 Store rotors | Hawk HPS pads
Wilburbeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:46 AM   #8
fastfaster
Account Suspended

Drives: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
its a shame you're getting sarcasm instead of help.
is the 235/251 spec @ .050?
fastfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #9
Chalk_2

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburbeest View Post
Really?
Ya Really.
Chalk_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #10
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalk_2 View Post
Ya Really.
No Wai!

Seriously though, try talking to another tuner (or a sponsor of this forum). They may be able to help you.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to danhr
because you cammed it wrong... that's why your car won't lope
Old 01-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #12
Tampa Tuning
Like us on Facebook!

Drives: C5 Corvette/ 2010 Camaro
1) you can lower you idle
2) when you lower your idle, adjust your idle spark table a couple degrees so it doesnt stall when you come to a light
3) make your under and over speed timing table wider

I made a correction. I meant under/over speed in your idle adaptive spark control

Last edited by Tampa Tuning; 01-20-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #13
getarz4u15ster

Drives: Camaro RJT 2SS/RS
Lope... Really...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrod6410 View Post
Looking for some help. I've installed the bolt-ons....LT headers, CAI but I wanted more power..... but I especially wanted my car to lope heavily at idle. So then I installed a cam kit myself a few months ago. I then had it tuned by someone who, well, did his best. Anyway, after going back to him several times to tweak here and there, he finally got the car to lope...when the a/c compressor is on only Now that its cold, the a/c doesnt run and the idle sounds like crap(to me). It idles pretty damn smooth. I loved it when the car loped and rocked back and forth Problem is it ran badly, bucked, surged, hesitated and was exremely rich. Now had it retuned by someone else(prefer to keep names out). Car runs alot better, a/f ratio is now good and picked up a few ponies but the lope is all but gone

I got a BIG cam because I wanted a BIG lope. Specs are 235/251 621/624 113 lsa. So can any tuners or somebody out there tell me what parameters need to be adjusted in the idle to make it lope and rock back and forth(EFI Live). Right now its kind of choppy but nowhere near where I'd like it to be.

I want it to sound like this:

Please help me (and my tuner). Thanks in advance for any help

Okay, So first of all thats alot of duration on that camshaft.. 235/251?? In combination with a semi-tight LSA... your driveability with this cam is going to stink at anything below 1200rpm. I can almost guarantee you that fact. However I'm not trying to dog on your choice of camshaft, I just want to give you some sound advice here.. Only reason i saying this is because i used to have a VERY similar cam in my Camaro. It's specs were 236/243 .614/.624 w/ 113LSA. It sounded pretty much exactly the way yours does, which i think is pretty dern choppy to me. And the the drivability at anything below 1300rpm was surging and bucking most of the time, 5th gear will be your friend at anything under 68mph...

If you wanted "more lope" per-say, you should have had it ground with a 110LSA that would have been REAL choppy (LSA is what gives you more or less lope, not solely but it's a big contributor)... however the tighter your LSA and the more duration you have typically the worse your driveability gets at low RPM. The camshaft you have, should make good power at anything over 4000rpm. The only other way to get the car to sound MORE choppy is set your idle speed down... be careful with that though as you can start causing vacuum issues and spark related knock problems, It should be idling right around 870 to 950. The Only other way to get a choppier lope.. turn the AC on.. it will pull more vaccum from the motor thus lowering the RPM a little, and get's a little more choppy..

Let's be honest though, is it the sound that really matters here the most, or is it the power that car makes.. I could make a moped sound like a street bike with the right parts... however, it still doesn't mean it's going to be any faster at the end of the day. The RIGHT combination of parts in these cars are the key.
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
DT Headers, JBA H/F Catted mid pipes
Magna Flow Comp series exhaust w/ Xpipe
Comp Custom grind Cam
Tune and Machine work done by MPC
CAI Intake
getarz4u15ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #14
Alain

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS, RS, Manual
it is a shame that some people are knocking on you instead of helping you.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #15
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
I do agree that that cam should have some good lope but will have fairly poor low rpm drivability. Idle must be turned way up to be smooth.

Did you install the springs and push rods with that size cam? just for safety.

Manual tranny?

Do you have a video of your car?

Dang the more i look at the size you have the more it looks like a ls7 big cam..Wow! You should be crazy wild at idle.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #16
danhr
BAMF SS

The size of the cam isn't all that big. I don't see why you guys are so intimidated by the duration numbers. Hell, those specs are damn near close to a lot of popular off the shelf grinds that get sold on here that are "secret specs"

If you just wanted the car to have a massive lope, and dont really care about power, get yourself a low-mid 22X cam on a very narrow LSA (109-111). Lots of overlap and narrow LSA's are what makes a cam "lope".

The person who spec'ed you your current cam thought you wanted a "big" performance cam. The trick with these motors is that lots of people like to go a little more wider than usual with the LSA, that way they can get more aggressive with the duration numbers, and not have to worry about PTV

and going by the cam specs, i'm going to say you got the cam/tune from chuck down in houston?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #17
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Yeah I like the power from a cam more than lope....In fact....I have to push the clutch in and coast in parking lots so I dont look like I dont know how to drive a stick...I get a little bucking going on at low speed idle driving...Small issue for the greater good..lol
Personally it looks like the valves should be slamming shut on that cam. I agree that it could be rougher with a lower number...say a 110 but still. I know plenty of Vengence cams at 113 and 114 that shake rattle and rock.

I got one of those secret spec cams from LG motorsports so I am clueless what I have...Way too excited to measure before install...lol
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #18
danhr
BAMF SS

a car's ability to "rock and shake" is greatly affected by the tune. That's the sign of a good tuner, that he/she can take a "big" cam and get it to idle like, or close to stock. I'd say the OP's tuner is very good if he/she got the listed cam to not lope that bad.

Here's an example.... I was tinkering with the idle fuel tables one night when I was bored, with a friend of mine.

We got this

to sound like this

The first video is even a cold start.... the second video it is warmed up.

I'd say take (the original poster) should take the car back to the tuner and ask him to roughin up the idle a bit. As I mentioned before, most tuners try to make it as smooth as possible, unless told to do otherwise.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #19
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
Did you degree the cam? That cam has plenty of overlap and should have plenty of lope. I'd be worried that it isn't the cam they spec'd. If you're happy with the power screw it, leave it be.
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #20
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
For the fun of it here are the cam specs ( see 7th row down) on my 69 GTO ram air III bought new in 69. Ya I know it was a quardra-jet (loved the sound of the back barrels opening) and the heads and ports are way different but it had a nice lope http://www.texastransams.com/article...ifications.htm http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic/9...Air-III_6.html
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #21
J-Rod6410
M6 10 second club

For all the people that said "Really"......You're not paying attention

The car in the video is NOT my car! That's what I want it to sound like!!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #22
J-Rod6410
M6 10 second club

Quote:
Originally Posted by acowherd View Post
What's your Idle set at???
Idle is at 850. We moved it up and down and it didnt lope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post

Idle rpm has an effect but is sometimes required for driveability and or operating vacuum dependent accessories like the brakes or AC (depending on the design of the car)
A bigger cam might put driveability at risk.
Rich conditions cause heavey lope but are not good for the life of the engine.
The old cars with the carburetuers would use cams that had a 106 LSA that had more overlap and tons of lope but could be converted to manual brakes and use a vacuum reserve can.
Thanks, Polecat. The a/f is set perfect now when before it was very rich. Might have to richen it up at idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx View Post
I never buy a camshaft for the sound. With that being said. IS you car a manual or auto? A manual car can get away with more because it doesnt need to idle in gear.

My car is manual. I wanted some extra top end for the track and it's been good for that

I tend to pick mild camshafts because after driving big camshaft cars on the street I got sick of surging etc and poor around town drivability. The specs you stated are just a lil bit smaller then the hydraulic roller I am putting in my 8.85 liter motor.
Thanks. The bucking now is very minimal and it doesnt bother me. I just want it to idle like the car in the vid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalk_2 View Post
It sounds pretty lopy to me.
THATS NOT MY CAR THATS WHAT I WANT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfaster View Post
its a shame you're getting sarcasm instead of help.
is the 235/251 spec @ .050?
Exactly. Some people dont have anything better to do You are correct specs @ .050.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
because you cammed it wrong... that's why your car won't lope
What do you mean by "wrong"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette View Post
1) you can lower you idle
2) when you lower your idle, adjust your idle spark table a couple degrees so it doesnt stall when you come to a light
3) make your under and over steer timing table wider

You can make a cam that large should losen teeth fillings at idle if you want.

Exactly the info I was looking for Thank You! I'm gonna relate this to my tuner. And yes, I want my teeth to fall out at idle I want my car to be a rocking chair at idle

below is my baby 228R cam on a 114 which sounds larger because of all the tuning ive done to the car:

That's the sound I want Any tips on how to achieve this
Quote:
The size of the cam isn't all that big. I don't see why you guys are so intimidated by the duration numbers. Hell, those specs are damn near close to a lot of popular off the shelf grinds that get sold on here that are "secret specs"

If you just wanted the car to have a massive lope, and dont really care about power, get yourself a low-mid 22X cam on a very narrow LSA (109-111). Lots of overlap and narrow LSA's are what makes a cam "lope".

The person who spec'ed you your current cam thought you wanted a "big" performance cam. The trick with these motors is that lots of people like to go a little more wider than usual with the LSA, that way they can get more aggressive with the duration numbers, and not have to worry about PTV

and going by the cam specs, i'm going to say you got the cam/tune from chuck down in houston?
I do care about power, and it makes good power. I didnt think making it lope would be a problem. You nailed it on the first tuner He's the only person that would work with my crazy work schedule so I gave him a shot. But he didnt spec the cam.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #23
Awesome_SS
Jeff

Try calling Livernois. I am sure they would help. Here is my lope and I do get the side to side rocking motion, although more evident while sitting in the car.
There is also a link on the cam specs.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123470
Awesome_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #24
J-Rod6410
M6 10 second club

Quote:
a car's ability to "rock and shake" is greatly affected by the tune. That's the sign of a good tuner, that he/she can take a "big" cam and get it to idle like, or close to stock. I'd say the OP's tuner is very good if he/she got the listed cam to not lope that bad.

Here's an example.... I was tinkering with the idle fuel tables one night when I was bored, with a friend of mine.

We got this

to sound like this

The first video is even a cold start.... the second video it is warmed up.

I'd say take (the original poster) should take the car back to the tuner and ask him to roughin up the idle a bit. As I mentioned before, most tuners try to make it as smooth as possible, unless told to do otherwise.
He is a good tuner. Thats why it idles pretty smoothly. I think I'm asking him to tune it "wrong" so it will lope Your second video is kinda what it idles at now. I just want it to idle like the Torq Camaro in the vid I posted. Can you give any tips on what to move around?? I thought it was allowing the timing to jump around at idle but not sure.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #25
J-Rod6410
M6 10 second club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnwkrkev View Post
Did you degree the cam? That cam has plenty of overlap and should have plenty of lope. I'd be worried that it isn't the cam they spec'd. If you're happy with the power screw it, leave it be.
The cam is not degreed. The correct part# was stamped on the cam. I love the way it runs....I'm just being a picky PITA that's all

Thanks for the help