Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Coal & Nuclear power generation

I work at a nuclear generating station. I though I'd share this article with y'all. I think people need to be educated more on this info before they make an opinion on these matters.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-nuclear-waste

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
IBTL, IBTL, IBTL, IBTL always wanted to do that
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
IM doomed either way.

I live within 3 miles of one coal power plant and one oil refinery, 5 miles of a hazardous waste dump [the real nasty stuff], 8 miles from a nuke power plant [Davis Besie where they let acid leak for years eating a hole in the cap, and no one caught it till it was close to failure] and 15 from another oil refinery.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
This is a tough one. For me it's about weighing out the 1 in 10million chance of a heath problem from fly ash or a major meltdown of a nuclear plant that could have everlasting effects. I don't live far from TMI and even though that was a long time ago, know one has forgotten about it. That was a very scary event to go through. I not saying to cut out either form of power. I'm just saying both can have major effects on the world as we know it.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
If it's good enough for the US Navy, it's good enough for the general population.

Think about it, a vast majority of the Navy's fleet is powered by nuclear reactors. They have not had a single meltdown or leak in the entire history of them running.

There's a group on facebook called, "If you are afraid of nuclear power you are clearly an idiot"

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
If it's good enough for the US Navy, it's good enough for the general population.

Think about it, a vast majority of the Navy's fleet is powered by nuclear reactors. They have not had a single meltdown or leak in the entire history of them running.

There's a group on facebook called, "If you are afraid of nuclear power you are clearly an idiot"
Thanks for the insult ,but I bet none of them lived through a nuclear accident either.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

What about my post was insulting?

If you don't like that group, direct your anger at the individual who created it on facebook (which is not me). I will admit that I joined that group, but mostly so I could read the thoughts and opinions of the people who work within the industry.

The nuclear accident at TMI (which I'm assuming is what you're referring to) had everything to do with a lack of training on the part of the plant staff, as well as failures to adhere to appropriate safety practices.

Do you really think the nuclear power plants being built or being operated today don't have the kinds of safety precautions necessary to prevent the glaring failures that took place back in March of 1979?

Not to mention the amount of government oversite that is now in place to prevent these incidents from happening again. Although, I will admit, just because the government has "oversite" on something, doesn't really make me feel any more safe

Rattle off what your concerns and I'm sure there are several people here that could easily address the real issue at hand and hopefully give you a little more peace of mind on just how safe nuclear power has become over the years.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I too work in the nuclear industry, hence my name, been working IN a nuke plant for a total of 33 years....its the only way to go. WE as a country have very few plants total, unlike France whos power comes from almost 80% nukes.....and YES, the general public is mostly ignorant of how it works.....most people in our country visualize a mushroom cloud when they hear the word NUCLEAR, and that is just fear of the unknown, and ignorance.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

And when we are done, just ship the waste on a one way ticket to the sun.

rods are easier to ship then ash
Old 02-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
What about my post was insulting?

If you don't like that group, direct your anger at the individual who created it on facebook (which is not me). I will admit that I joined that group, but mostly so I could read the thoughts and opinions of the people who work within the industry.

The nuclear accident at TMI (which I'm assuming is what you're referring to) had everything to do with a lack of training on the part of the plant staff, as well as failures to adhere to appropriate safety practices.

Do you really think the nuclear power plants being built or being operated today don't have the kinds of safety precautions necessary to prevent the glaring failures that took place back in March of 1979?

Not to mention the amount of government oversite that is now in place to prevent these incidents from happening again. Although, I will admit, just because the government has "oversite" on something, doesn't really make me feel any more safe

Rattle off what your concerns and I'm sure there are several people here that could easily address the real issue at hand and hopefully give you a little more peace of mind on just how safe nuclear power has become over the years.
I guess to you being called an idiot for having concerns about nuclear power isn't insulting. Anyhow, government oversight and added safety precautions don't make me sleep any better at night. Like I said in my first post, I didn't say to get rid of them. I said when compared to coal I'm not sure which is the lessor of two evils. I'm all for any safe, clean way to make power ,but even one major accident is to many, and nothing is full proof. Besides what happens with all the spent fuel? We have to bury it in caves and hope it doesn't leak out for the next 10,000 years.
Like I said there's a trade off for everything ,and I'm not sure that the pluses to nuclear out weigh the minuses.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
Blah Blah Blah were all gonna die anyway....oh and have a nice day.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
The problem with the US Nuclear Power Industry is that each developer had their own design and put in their own tweaks and much of the equipment was custom built for each plant. This compounded the difficulties of obtaining NRC licensing approval since the NRC had to evaluate each individual design.

In contrast the French Nuclear Power program settled on a standard design which satisfied the French Regulatory Commission.

If the U.S. were to adopt the French standardization model (a one plant design) we wouldn`t have a problem when there is a mishap.

I`m pretty sure regarding the U.S. Navy that they use a one model design in their submarines and surface ships.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I guess to you being called an idiot for having concerns about nuclear power isn't insulting. Anyhow, government oversight and added safety precautions don't make me sleep any better at night. Like I said in my first post, I didn't say to get rid of them. I said when compared to coal I'm not sure which is the lessor of two evils. I'm all for any safe, clean way to make power ,but even one major accident is to many, and nothing is full proof. Besides what happens with all the spent fuel? We have to bury it in caves and hope it doesn't leak out for the next 10,000 years.
Like I said there's a trade off for everything ,and I'm not sure that the pluses to nuclear out weigh the minuses.
First off, my original post was intended for the thread and was not directed at you. I thought the title of the facebook group was funny.

Secondly, I never called you, specifically, an idiot. If you made that assumption, that's your issue Besides, being afraid of nuclear power and having concerns about nuclear power are two different things. The facebook group focuses on the former, not the latter.

Thirdly, as far as what happens to the spent fuel, there are many in here who could answer that in depth, as well as provide insight as to exactly how "dangerous" the stuff really is.

Have a good day

Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Sir Nuke, what department do you work in? Are you part of IBEW?

I work as an junior RP tech(Aka HP), currently with decon temporarily. I really like working in this industry.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote