Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Arrow Automatic (L99) TAPshift

Hey everyone!!

We all love the feeling of the manual when you throw that stick into the next gear and get the <<shift shock>>.

My question to all of you, will you get some kind of shift shock when using TAPshift?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
StlRomAniaN

Anyone want to help? :[
Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
1982camaro

Drives: 1982 camaro
tapshift does not impress me. I have driven 2 cars with tap shift and i think i was going faster when i slammed the gas and let the computer shift for me.

Just get a manual if you want the joy and fun of rowing a cars gears. saves you money and you dont need a jump start when your battery quits on you.
1982camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
Hooy
Will Drive For Food

Drives: Acura TL
Most definitely not. It is simply a button that changes gear for you. I wish they also had a tap-shift function on the lever itself.
Hooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
StlRomAniaN

boo...any gear shock? at all?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Joe Remi

Drives: '17 Impala V6 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
Not in the Porsche I had. You might feel a slight thump, but nothing like a shock. The whole idea of tapshifting is seamless shifts without drama and lag. You won't get true Ferrari Formula-One-level seamless shifts in a Camaro, but it will try to mimic it. You'll also soon discover just sticking it in Drive will outshift your taps. As I've said in several threads, modern automatics are astonishing devices.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
Joe Remi

Another sucky thing about tapshift is the placement of the buttons on the steering wheel. Real racecar paddle shifters are mounted to the column, independent of the wheel. You know how you always know where a stick shift is no matter how many times you've spun the wheel? Well that starts to matter when you need to downshift RIGHT NOW and you're not sure if the down button is still on the left or not. That's when your confused brain shoves it in Drive and throws in the towel. Fun over. Either get a manual or be happy with Drive. Wheel-mounted tapshift is lame.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
My Magnum is Auto and autoshift. You just tap the gear knob right or left to shift up and down manually.

YES, you get gear shock. When I feel like having some fun, I run it in "manual" mode. You DEFINITELY get gear shock, especially in second. Second is my fav gear its a THRILL+half!!!!!

I hope the Camaro tap shift feels like this too!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
Another sucky thing about tapshift is the placement of the buttons on the steering wheel. Real racecar paddle shifters are mounted to the column, independent of the wheel. You know how you always know where a stick shift is no matter how many times you've spun the wheel? Well that starts to matter when you need to downshift RIGHT NOW and you're not sure if the down button is still on the left or not. That's when your confused brain shoves it in Drive and throws in the towel. Fun over. Either get a manual or be happy with Drive. Wheel-mounted tapshift is lame.
Well why would you shift while turning anyway?

I'm seriously tempted to get the auto because of all the great reviews it has been getting. I just wish I could get the LS3 with it.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #10
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Well why would you shift while turning anyway?
racing
Old 03-26-2009, 01:37 AM   #11
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
First thing they taught me in high performance driving school is you want to avoid upsetting the balance in a turn. Steering with the throttle is one thing, but the shock of a shift mid-term seems to throw that balance right out the window. If you're racing, rev-match downshift while entering the turn, neutral power or steer with the throttle through the turn, and get back up while going straight.

Edit: Confirmed with my wife, who's actually gone to more driving schools than me (how awesome is that?). She confirmed you don't want to shift in a turn, especially when racing. She was very confused as to why someone would do that.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:43 AM   #12
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
First thing they taught me in high performance driving school is you want to avoid upsetting the balance in a turn. Steering with the throttle is one thing, but the shock of a shift mid-term seems to throw that balance right out the window. If you're racing, rev-match downshift while entering the turn, neutral power or steer with the throttle through the turn, and get back up while going straight.

Edit: Confirmed with my wife, who's actually gone to more driving schools than me (how awesome is that?). She confirmed you don't want to shift in a turn, especially when racing. She was very confused as to why someone would do that.
+1. Turning and shifting is asking for trouble. your better off staying in gear until you get out of the turn and then change accordingly.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
Joe Remi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
+1. Turning and shifting is asking for trouble. your better off staying in gear until you get out of the turn and then change accordingly.
Technically correct and in a perfect world not an issue. On the psychotic constantly-backflipping-on-itself road on Mt. St. Helena, it does occasionally arise if you get buried into a 3rd gear turn which becomes a 2nd because of that damn RV. It also comes into play if you want to shortshift out of a turn instead of redlining. Both situations are kind of isolated, but it would be nice to have the stationary paddles when those situations arise.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #14
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982camaro View Post
tapshift does not impress me. I have driven 2 cars with tap shift and i think i was going faster when i slammed the gas and let the computer shift for me.

Just get a manual if you want the joy and fun of rowing a cars gears. saves you money and you dont need a jump start when your battery quits on you.
I'm totally with you. I've got it on my RX8 and I wish I had bought the MT. Major shift lag.... but maybe the Camaro's is better.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote