Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Coolidge

Drives: Dodge 4x4 Hemi
The National Road Test - ZL1 is a supercar at a budget price

I just came across this road test review and thought I would post a link. Here's something interesting from the article...

Quote:
Chevrolet says the ZL1's warranty will be valid even if you track test it, as long as it remains unmodified.
http://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/...a-budget-price
Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
ParisTNDude

Drives: 2006 Corvette
Wow! Another positive report from someone who actually drove the car. I can hardly wait until they get into the hands of people familiar with Camaros and able to drive them. Hoorah for Chevrolet!

Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...html?r=1"]2010
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolidge View Post
I just came across this road test review and thought I would post a link. Here's something interesting from the article...

I certainly hope they do warranty the car if it raced. And leaving it totally stock, with no modifications, is certainly a fair requirement by the manufacturer to honor the warranty. This would be the only right thing for GM to do, since the car has been heavily advertised as a race car, barely street legal, with extensive video tape showing what it can do on a drag strip or road course under all out race conditions.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolidge View Post

That's great if they keep the warranty for track days. Good review too.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
And, finally a review from an AutoMagic Tranny! He said he liked it! All right!

I think I detect a bit of a grin starting to form...... (you guys with the sticks, I'll wait for ya at the next pit stop - if my gas holds out!)
Old 02-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I certainly hope they do warranty the car if it raced. And leaving it totally stock, with no modifications, is certainly a fair requirement by the manufacturer to honor the warranty. This would be the only right thing for GM to do, since the car has been heavily advertised as a race car, barely street legal, with extensive video tape showing what it can do on a drag strip or road course under all out race conditions.

I like the way you think. But historically,GM has not warrantied tracked cars. I'd like to know who the guy who did this article got his info from because I haven't seen anything from GM stating what he said about the warranty.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
I like the way you think. But historically,GM has not warrantied tracked cars. I'd like to know who the guy who did this article got his info from because I haven't seen anything from GM stating what he said about the warranty.
Thats true, I agree with you. But, lets take this thought and run with it if I may....if GM does not warranty the car under "normal racing conditions" <> as they videotaped and advertised all over the airwaves and cyberspace, then it will be a big kick in the teeth for ZL1 owners. The advertisements set precedence and are unlike anything ever produced for a factory car. What good will it be, after seeing how "engineers dream in milliseconds", then take the car out on a track and tune it to tear up the earth..., only to then not offer a warranty to those who will do the same at the drag strip or road race course like the engineers and factory drivers starring in the commercials?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Lol. $60,000 grand muscle car and budget dont belong in the same sentence.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
Lol. $60,000 grand muscle car and budget dont belong in the same sentence.
The point is for a vehicle with near supercar performance, this is indeed a budget buy. How many cars do you know of that perform at the level of the ZL1 and are below $60k? It admittedly doesn't have the most luxurious interior with the most prestigious nameplate, but that's not where the value of this vehicle is.

Linked below is a list of cars that ran the ring. The ZL1 ran it in 7:41. Try looking up the prices of all the cars listed in the link below and tell me that the ZL1 is not serious performance on a budget.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...legal_vehicles
Old 02-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
The point is for a vehicle with near supercar performance, this is indeed a budget buy. How many cars do you know of that perform at the level of the ZL1 and are below $60k? It admittedly doesn't have the most luxurious interior with the most prestigious nameplate, but that's not where the value of this vehicle is.

Linked below is a list of cars that ran the ring. The ZL1 ran it in 7:41. Try looking up the prices of all the cars listed in the link below and tell me that the ZL1 is not serious performance on a budget.

Ya, it runs competitive times with $200,000 to $300,000 cars, that's impressive. I'd like to meet some Ferrari's or Lambo's at a road coarse and show em what's up.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
There is no "shaved tires" conspiracy. "Almost treadless" is relative.

For example, relative to an Ultra Grip Performance tire, I can see how someone could characterize the F1 Supercar G2 tire as "almost treadless."

Attached Images

Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6

Last edited by radz28; 02-17-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Trash removed
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
great article!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I breezed through the owners manual for the ZL! and there are about ten or so pages of things that an owner has to do before taking it to the track. mostly fluid changes brake pad break ins and the overall engine break in process. i think these things will be a determining factor in whether or not warranty coverage will apply with track use track use.
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
OldScoolCamaro

Heres the specs on the F1 G2 Supercar Goodyears..... http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/...1-supercar-g2#
Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
The GOODYEAR tires that come on the ZL1 are RUN FLATS... ?
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:

Well said and nicely played with sources to back it up. Thats how we should all be arguing our perspectives, with links backing up our claims. Hate when people throw out ridiculous claims without supporting facts.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
No
Uneducated Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
newmoon

Drives: 2012 5.0 Mustang, Brembo Track Pack
Another great report on the ZL1.
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2012 Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #19
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
Good question. I read that too but is the first I've heard of it. It came straight from Goodyear's website though so

In a way, it would be nice with not having a spare but I've never heard anything good about run flats as far as performance is concerned. But it appears if these tires truly are run flat that they figured something out because these tires seem to great performance tires.
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #20
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Quote:

Lol I know the ZL1 has comparable specs or better than some of the crazy expensive super cars, for much less money. but in my head someone buying a $60,000 ZL1 is not worried about "budget" issues, they are obviously doing quite well, if they are even entertaining the idea. same as a person who can afford a $200,000 super car.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
Fenderaddict2

Drives: '12 Boss, '65 Mustang FB, '64 Strat
Quote:
Lol I know the ZL1 has comparable specs or better than some of the crazy expensive super cars, for much less money. but in my head someone buying a $60,000 ZL1 is not worried about "budget" issues, they are obviously doing quite well, if they are even entertaining the idea. same as a person who can afford a $200,000 super car.
The Camaro, while not inexpensive is most certainly a budget car as the price is easy to calculate with a few set options. Buy yourself a Lamborghini or Ferrari and you'll quickly realize listed prices are at best an estimated starting point and the sky is the limit. A case of if you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

Another great write-up. Can't wait to snag a ride in one of these.
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #22
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:

I understand what you are saying, but it's all relative. There are those that think the $120k ZR1 is a budget supercar (and compared to many other high priced exotics, it is). It really just depends on your perspective and financial means I guess.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
There is no "shaved tires" conspiracy. "Almost treadless" is relative.

For example, relative to an Ultra Grip Performance tire, I can see how someone could characterize the F1 Supercar G2 tire as "almost treadless."

Sorry, 'Bear - I had to edit and take a little trash out. I wanted to leave your content though, because it was definately valid.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #24
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but it's all relative. There are those that think the $120k ZR1 is a budget supercar (and compared to many other high priced exotics, it is). It really just depends on your perspective and financial means I guess.
Exactly right. Like for me. The ZL1 is damn expensive. To someone with a thick billfold, easy peasy.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Sorry, 'Bear - I had to edit and take a little trash out. I wanted to leave your content though, because it was definately valid.
Not a problem rad. It appears as though it has been a busy morning on several threads with regard to some annoying litter.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote