Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Should I do it?

Thinking about getting the SCT tuner from Jannetty. The car is basically brand new, but I've already done the intake and exhaust. My main concern is ditching the stupid AFM, but I might as well optimize the car for my mods at the same time. I know the warranty will probably be toast, but it seems like tons of people have thrown caution to the wind and just went ahead with the tune.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
platinum ss
Brandon Gilpin

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS / 2014 Fiesta ST
just do it
2011 Camaro 1SS Platinum ed. ls3 k&n CAI, BBK LT's, MBRP Cat Back, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Camshaft, Melling oil pump, Norris Catch Can, dyno tuned By AGP Speed & Custom, msd coils, taylor cables, Vmax ported throttle body, strut brace, eibach springs, hurst ST shifter.

Black on black, Private forged wheels, Oracle side marker lights, black tail light bezels, 3D Carbon body kit
platinum ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible

Realize it's your drive train warranty that will be gone. Things like heated seats, remote mirrors, etc. will still be covered.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
oakaro68

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
do it.
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
NYJETSFAN
El Hefe

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Ted knows best, just do it.
NYJETSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
The warranty issue is not as black and white as some people here will have you believe.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
BlkBty

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Thinking about getting the SCT tuner from Jannetty. The car is basically brand new, but I've already done the intake and exhaust. My main concern is ditching the stupid AFM, but I might as well optimize the car for my mods at the same time. I know the warranty will probably be toast, but it seems like tons of people have thrown caution to the wind and just went ahead with the tune.
Do what you can afford.. If warranty goes to crap and you can fix out of pocket-Go for it
BlkBty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Order placed

I think I might as well get all I can out of my current mods, and now I can say bye-bye to AFM. I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is when the it's activating or deactivating, but it sounds like the car is letting out a quick little fart. Not cool at all. It's not an issue with my Solo exhaust because I heard this same sound even when it was stock. I won't miss AFM at all.

I'll update once I get the new tune

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Just did mine. Worth it!
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Do it, you will never look back but be warned, its a slippery slope!!! LOL

Get rid of that damn AFM system, Have Ted tune the engine for your mods and have him do the trany tune as well. He will also turn off the torque management system which will give you your engines full torque power right off the throttle and not limit it until you get over 4000 rpms or whatever it is.

When I was at your stage, my L99 would burn the rear tires but not dramatically. With a cold air intake, LT headers, HF cats, Corsa exhaust and Teds tune, it would just sit there and smoke the rear tires. Dramatic difference.

The engine revs DRAMATIACALLY faster with the better breathing mods and the tune makes them work together like fine music.

I also found that my fuel milage with the AFM turned off and good tune was slightly better then it was stock.

As I said though, be warned, its a slippery slope but a fun one once you start adding mods!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
honeybucket99

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM CAMARO BEAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Do it, you will never look back but be warned, its a slippery slope!!! LOL

Get rid of that damn AFM system, Have Ted tune the engine for your mods and have him do the trany tune as well. He will also turn off the torque management system which will give you your engines full torque power right off the throttle and not limit it until you get over 4000 rpms or whatever it is.

When I was at your stage, my L99 would burn the rear tires but not dramatically. With a cold air intake, LT headers, HF cats, Corsa exhaust and Teds tune, it would just sit there and smoke the rear tires. Dramatic difference.

The engine revs DRAMATIACALLY faster with the better breathing mods and the tune makes them work together like fine music.

I also found that my fuel milage with the AFM turned off and good tune was slightly better then it was stock.

As I said though, be warned, its a slippery slope but a fun one once you start adding mods!!!
Slippery Slope hell...it's a damn cliff, vortex, and/or some other kind of inescapable pull I started with headers, intake and tune thinking that would be all. Now, some $20 grand later, I still can't stop...

Expensive hobby, but nothing is more fun than feeling the controlled violent vibration coming from 800 horses as you sit at a stop light.

Welcome to the insanity my friend
2010 CGM 2SS/RS; 418 stroker; JE Forged Pistons (offset wrist pin); Forged Crank; upgraded valvetrain; Custom Comp Cams Cam; Kenne Bell 2.8; ID 1000s; Aeromotive Fuel pump with return; ARH Long Tubes; Spec heavy duty clutch; 3" Magnaflow Cat Back; Nick Williams 102 mm Throttle Body; Tune fixed by Dave Steck; 815 HP and 14 mpg

Upcoming--
Disintegrated drivetrain;
Divorce if/when my wife catches on to
my addiction
honeybucket99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #12
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
I just got my JRE tune and I only have an intake, exhaust, and ported TB (mostly wanted to get rid of the damn AFM) and my car is a blast to drive again! I love it!!!! A day after I got my tune I had to take my car in because I found out the engine mount was missing bolts and they didnt say anything about my tune. Depends on the dealer I guess...

2012 Camaro SS IOM "TigreSS"
Borla "S" Catback
C.A.I. Intake
VMax Ported TB
JRE Tune
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
TRIPWIRE
Chillin Like a Villain

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic Dusk Ed.
Do it afm sucks ass!
TRIPWIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Do the tune. Don't worry about the warranty unless you plan to race or abuse your car. My car makes over 650HP. I know I won't blow it up because and I use the power without abusing the car. You must be honest and evaluate your style of driving a performance car if your going forfeit your warranty.

Most people that break an engine, smoke a clutch, break a trans or axle were probably punishing the car. I've done a lot of drag racing in the past but not with this car. I loved every minute of racing and I broke a lot of drive train components. If you race it, i.e, full throttle power shifts, 5K launches w/drag tires, stuff will break. It comes with the program.

Seriously, ask yourself, how many people to you know that blew up an engine by normal "performance driving"? If you broke it, you probably deserve it and the manufacturer owes you nothing.

Alfie

Last edited by alfie43; 02-19-2012 at 02:18 PM.
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote