Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
kba1980

Drives: white black stripes ss/rs
New 2012 camaro ss automatic want spin the tires with traction control off.

Hey guys I just bought a 2012 camaro ss with the automatic trans and I have put 500 miles on it and yesterday I decided to see what she had and the outcome was not what I wanted. I pulled it to M and turned off the traction control and nothing and I even tried to stall it up and do it a 2nd time, it want spin its almost like it doesnt get full power from a dead stop when you floor it its like it bogs down and then takes off. I will say it runs pretty strong from a roll going about 10mph and fells stronger there than from a dead stop. Does anyone know what could be going on is the computer holding it back until it gets a certin amount of miles on it or is it just a dog.

I did do the fuse pull today because I know the dealer put 87 grade gas in it from the dealer and I have been running 93 in it and the fuse pull did help and it will spin alittle bit but I would think it would just smoke the tires. Its probably a little foolish but I spent $42,000 and I guess I think it should do a litte better.

Thanks
kba1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Don't know, no problem smoking them in mine, might need some better technique...cause I'm sure I could smoke in your car too...make sure everything is off.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Rollar

Drives: 2012 Convertible 2SS 45th Anny
Just give it time. I had the same issue/concern. Once I hit about 1,100 miles it became a different car. I have 1,500 miles on mine and can break em loose anytime.
Rollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Dznyfn

Drives: 13 1SS Vert, 05 Tahoe Z71, 67 RS/SS
Disable all the nannies, hold the TC button down for five seconds until both stabilitrac and tc are disabled and enjoy!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
kba1980

Well lets see not being a smart *ss but I drag race a 1987 mustang true 10.5 car with a N/A small block chevy that makes over a 1000 and I am pretty sure I have a good technique heres some pic of my race car before it was finished and I grudge race it soI want tell the times and no I am not a troll LOL.

Heres a pic of my camaro

Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Torque management doesn't exactly make it easy. Best first mod for the L99 crowd would be a tune. Even if you don't plan on going all out mod crazy I still recomend a tune. A handheld tuner can be picked up cheap enough and you can disable or limit the torque management. It really helps to light em up. Another good tip is a fuse pull to reset the computer. If you put any low octane fuel in it you can get stuck on the low octane timing maps which seriously limit power.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
kba1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Torque management doesn't exactly make it easy. Best first mod for the L99 crowd would be a tune. Even if you don't plan on going all out mod crazy I still recomend a tune. A handheld tuner can be picked up cheap enough and you can disable or limit the torque management. It really helps to light em up. Another good tip is a fuse pull to reset the computer. If you put any low octane fuel in it you can get stuck on the low octane timing maps which seriously limit power.
Thanks I did the fuse pull and it seemed to help. I talked to my dealer today about puting kooks headers on it and they said it wouldnt void the warranty but they said a tune would. If I buy the diablo trinity will it put the stock tune back in it and will the dealer ever be able to see if it was tuned.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Bumble Beast
American Muscle

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS/TF3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollar View Post
Just give it time. I had the same issue/concern. Once I hit about 1,100 miles it became a different car. I have 1,500 miles on mine and can break em loose anytime.
I shocked myself the other day... I was going 75 down the highway, dropped it in third to show a 'Stang what it was all about, and actually burned some rubber. I was like "Holy Shitaki Mushrooms, I can spin the tires at 75?!?!?!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumble Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
Bumble Beast
American Muscle

Kind of along the same lines... I've definitely spun the tires by opening the throttle and then dropping it in first, smoked out for about 50 yards or so and then caught traction and took off. However... I have never kept the car stationary and just burnt rubber, is this done by standing on the brake, pulling the e-brake, magic unicorns... I want to be an expert at this before I end up at the track, yo!! Don't want my first time to end up up a light pole....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Yes they will know if you tuned it. There is a flash counter so the dealership / GM will know how mnay times the ECM was flashed.

Hold down T/C button for 7 seconds until both T/C & Stabilitrac shut off. Launch.

Be aware a stock A6 will never have a crazy smoke show without a brake stand start. The stock tires have crazy grip. The stall doesn't help and the torque management takes a lot of the old days smoke show away.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Yes they will know if you tuned it. There is a flash counter so the dealership / GM will know how mnay times the ECM was flashed.

Hold down T/C button for 7 seconds until both T/C & Stabilitrac shut off. Launch.

Be aware a stock A6 will never have a crazy smoke show without a brake stand start. The stock tires have crazy grip. The stall doesn't help and the torque management takes a lot of the old days smoke show away.
Yup. right on the money
Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
Bumble Beast
American Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post

How about a stock M6? Which is what I drive. Is a brake stand still necessary to really smoke 'em out?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kba1980 View Post
Well lets see not being a smart *ss but I drag race a 1987 mustang true 10.5 car with a N/A small block chevy that makes over a 1000 and I am pretty sure I have a good technique heres some pic of my race car before it was finished and I grudge race it soI want tell the times and no I am not a troll LOL.

Heres a pic of my camaro

Cool, it does take a little bit different technique....need a little brake and stab the throttle, it should spin them pretty good...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
OP, have you done a fuse pull recently?