Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
i can't believe it...she's gone...

today, i woke up at 4am to go to work as an EMT-I (currently doing my internship, which is extremely physically and mentally demanding), after sleeping only 2 hours, for the second night in a row. even though i loaded myself with caffeine throughout the day, it still wasn't enough. i even dozed off in the back of the ambulance, and while i was clocking out for the day once we got back to base station...i couldn't wait to get home and SLEEP.

well, while on the freeway driving home, i dozed off at the wheel and ended up driving in the dirt on the side of the freeway. i panicked, overcorrected, and lost control, skidding into oncoming traffic, still going about 55mph and being turned around 180 degrees. i ended up hitting another driver, who was going at least 65mph...for a combined total of over 100mph.

the fire department, the police, and even the tow truck driver were all amazed that not only did we survive the impact....we both walked away without a single scratch. his brand new 2012 mercedes is totaled and my car is most likely totaled as well......the thing that irritates me the most about the whole ordeal is that the other driver is an insurance agent, and almost an hour after the impact, when the police finally showed up, he decided to fake a neck injury...this is the same guy who ran almost 200ft from his car to mine, to see if i was okay. i'm still glad he wasn't really hurt, but he is going to milk as much money as possible out of this situation.

everyone on scene was saying that it's amazing how well the cars protected the drivers (me and the other guy)...i thank God nobody was hurt. i wouldn't be able to live with myself if i had seriously hurt somebody. luck, and possibly divine power were on my side today.

the police were able to confirm the speed of both cars, based on the skid marks, and the paths they took after the impact. i didn't manage to get any pictures of the other guy's car, but i got a couple of mine. the damage seems so minor, compared to the force of the impact between the cars.

while i am thankful nobody got hurt, i still can't help but mourn the loss of my most prized possession. my first car. (well, the first car i bought and pay for myself)

edit (7-15-12): as far as the neck injury accusation goes, i have no say in whether or not that guy's neck is injured and admit, i shouldn't be the one to judge whether he was faking it or not. the reason i made the accusation was a combination of two things. when he said his neck was hurting, he said it with a smirk and made sure we were out of earshot of anyone else when he casually said it. also, i have heard many horror stories about this sort of thing. i made this post the same day as the accident, before finally getting some sleep.

i admit driving while i was so sleep deprived was a bad decision. i may make mistakes, but i learn from them, so i don't make the same mistake twice.

for those who feel the need to lecture me, what do you think you are going to accomplish? i've heard it all already. i realize things could have been much worse. i realize i could have hit a family in a minivan and seriously hurt somebody or worse... there has not been one person in this thread that has lectured me on something that i haven't heard already. don't you think i feel bad enough as it is?

Last edited by brandonrr; 07-15-2012 at 08:58 PM.
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
5 Star safety rating right there! Glad your ok man! Sounds like an SS is in your future

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
brandonrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
5 Star safety rating right there! Glad your ok man! Sounds like an SS is in your future
if the car is totaled, i will be driving something with 4 cylinders. i am only 19 and still live at home, so i am under the rules of my parents still. the only way i will still have a car with this much power is if it's not totaled.

while i can understand where dad is coming from when he made this decision, power had nothing to do with this accident.

btw, my dad is a captain in the fire department and the crash took place on his first day back to work after 3 months off, due to knee surgery. the crash was literally a mile away from his station and he was first on scene with his crew.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonrr View Post
if the car is totaled, i will be driving something with 4 cylinders. i am only 19 and still live at home, so i am under the rules of my parents still. the only way i will still have a car with this much power is if it's not totaled.
Sorry to hear that, hopefully its not totaled then! my first ride was an 86 buick park avenue so your already ahead of the game!

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 07-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
samhardy2008

Drives: 2012 3.6 camaro
Quote:
today, i woke up at 4am to go to work as an EMT-I (currently doing my internship, which is extremely physically and mentally demanding), after sleeping only 2 hours, for the second night in a row. even though i loaded myself with caffeine throughout the day, it still wasn't enough. i even dozed off in the back of the ambulance, and while i was clocking out for the day once we got back to base station...i couldn't wait to get home and SLEEP.

well, while on the freeway driving home, i dozed off at the wheel and ended up driving in the dirt on the side of the freeway. i panicked, overcorrected, and lost control, skidding into oncoming traffic, still going about 55mph and being turned around 180 degrees. i ended up hitting another driver, who was going at least 65mph...for a combined total of over 100mph.

the fire department, the police, and even the tow truck driver were all amazed that not only did we survive the impact....we both walked away without a single scratch. his brand new 2012 mercedes is totaled and my car is most likely totaled as well......the thing that irritates me the most about the whole ordeal is that the other driver is an insurance agent, and almost an hour after the impact, when the police finally showed up, he decided to fake a neck injury...this is the same guy who ran almost 200ft from his car to mine, to see if i was okay. i'm still glad he wasn't really hurt, but he is going to milk as much money as possible out of this situation.

everyone on scene was saying that it's amazing how well the cars protected the drivers (me and the other guy)...i thank God nobody was hurt. i wouldn't be able to live with myself if i had seriously hurt somebody. luck, and possibly divine power were on my side today.

the police were able to confirm the speed of both cars, based on the skid marks, and the paths they took after the impact. i didn't manage to get any pictures of the other guy's car, but i got a couple of mine. the damage seems so minor, compared to the force of the impact between the cars.

while i am thankful nobody got hurt, i still can't help but mourn the loss of my most prized possession. my first car. (well, the first car i bought and pay for myself)

man im sorry for your car but your safe and other driver is safe thats what matters
Old 07-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Glad your OK bro. Don't work so hard, I used to do shifts like that and then drive home with one eye open, not anymore...its not worth it. You can't enjoy the fruits of your labor if your dead.

Now go get yourself a new one with that really cool new mylink radio :-)

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
brandonrr

i just made a horrific realization...

my dad had a '65 mustang that he had been planning to give to me eventually, but he ended up selling it. if i had been driving that car, i would be dead right now. remember those posts and articles about what happens to the gas tank in those if they get rear-ended?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Sleepy driving is just as dangerous as drunk driving. Please next time either take a nap before you leave or let someone else drive. I'm glad everyone is ok but it could have been worse.

Hope you get your car or another back soon!
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Quote:
i just made a horrific realization...

my dad had a '65 mustang that he had been planning to give to me eventually, but he ended up selling it. if i had been driving that car, i would be dead right now. remember those posts and articles about what happens to the gas tank in those if they get rear-ended?

Well if it makes you feel any better, Cars don't explode like they had made them out to for a certain amount of time... Simple chemistry.. LOL
At any rate, your alive and in the car can be fixed or replaced.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 07-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
JB_21

Drives: 2012
Who cares about the car, glad your okay!. Car is repleceable, your life isnt.
JB_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #11
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
maggies law bro, ull probably get somethin for that if you tell them you were tired
Old 07-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #12
HorsePower-Freak

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_21 View Post
Who cares about the car, glad your okay!. Car is repleceable, your life isnt.

It's JUST A CAR. Now if you had fallen asleep riding a unicorn and spun out and totaled it then I would be like "Damn, there's only ONE unicorn in the world and I just killed it."
HorsePower-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
brandonrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos30 View Post
maggies law bro, ull probably get somethin for that if you tell them you were tired
i'm not quite sure what you mean by that....can you explain a little better?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Wow, that is a scary experience you had, glad you're ok