Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, launch discussions.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Dragstrip gurus, I ask for your knowledge!

Hey guys, going down to a dragstrip on August 1st for the first time ever.

I have a v6 manual with RS wheels and tires.

Hit me up with all suggestions/advice/tips please!

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."

Last edited by ihaveacamaro; 07-25-2012 at 11:54 AM.
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Pretty much the same things I've advised newbies to autocross (which I'm way more familiar with)

1. Have fun.

2. Don't worry about car prep other than what's required for tech or tinkering between runs. Mostly, just run the car the way you're used to it. There will be plenty of time to tinker at future events. See #1.

3. Don't even worry about "slow" numbers on your slips. See #1.

4. See #1.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Pretty much the same things I've advised newbies to autocross (which I'm way more familiar with)

1. Have fun.

2. Don't worry about car prep other than what's required for tech or tinkering between runs. Mostly, just run the car the way you're used to it. There will be plenty of time to tinker at future events. See #1.

3. Don't even worry about "slow" numbers on your slips. See #1.

4. See #1.

Norm
Thanks Norm, I will definitely make sure to have a blast!

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
Everytime you enter the staging area you will become more and more comfortable with
the whole process. Take your time and enjoy yourself.Its all about the fun factor.Plenty of time to get serious later on.Once you get used to the process
then start trying to get better with your reaction times,launching your car and
hitting those shift points.Stay in the groove and let er rip.

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Thanks quick!

Keep it coming guys!

Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
The first few times you race, get accustomed to staging and the tree. When you get comfortable, put a little heat into your tires. Burn them out a little. The pirellis do great with a decent burnout

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
The first few times you race, get accustomed to staging and the tree. When you get comfortable, put a little heat into your tires. Burn them out a little. The pirellis do great with a decent burnout
I've heard that burnouts are totally unnecessary on the stock Pirellis? A couple people have told me it's just a waste of thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
i think they do better with a light burnout like a 5 sec one the first time of the day and after that like a hard launch to spin them for a sec or 2

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
No, the pirellis for some reason act like a drag radial and do better under a little heat.

If you don't want to kill to much tread, take dekans advice. At least spin them once or twice to clean them off

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
spin them once or twice to clean them off
I would guess that's all that a first-timer at the strip needs to do. The entire experience is going to be new, and it's easy to forget new stuff when there's too much of it to try to remember.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
P-Zeros like to be heated. So do a little burnout to heat them up and clean them off.
With your power level, they should stick pretty well with a conservative launch.

Try to get off the line with very little wheel spin. It's better to roll off the line gently/smoothly than to roast the tires with an aggressive launch.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

ok guys, sorry I should know this, but what's a good way to burnout? Never really had reason to until now....

Old 07-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
ok guys, sorry I should know this, but what's a good way to burnout? Never really had reason to until now....
I usually go around the water pit and then back up and then burnout a bit rolling. I don't dump the clutch. If you can understand what I'm saying
Old 07-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
orbitearl

Drives: 2010 r/s switchblade metalic
remove drivers floormat and all loose objects in the car, buckle up..cut off radio and air, tie your shoes tight, no, seriously! have fun! and dont have a full tank of gas! make sure your engine is full of oil, check all fluid levels
orbitearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
Jmar

Drives: 2012 LS3 CRM, V8 Healey, Mini
If you get into the 13s you'll be required to wear a helmet - some tracks rent them. I think you may be required to wear pants rather than shorts.

Don't drive through the water box - that's what the drivers with slicks do and it's ok. Like Frid says you should back up into it. You don't want to bring water to the line with your front tires. The track employees will help you at the line.

Roll up your windows.

Watch the staging lights (white ones as the top) as you approach the line slowly and light up both sets. If you see them blink on and off you've just rolled through and need to back up.

Release the clutch on the 3rd amber light, not on the green.

If there is a long line in the staging lanes you can open your hood to let things cool down and push the car along.

You may want to take a walk to the find the finish line. Sometimes they are after the timing displays which would lead you to lift before you're really finished.

You'll probably make new friends in the pits and staging lanes. Most racers are are friendly willing to help when you need it.

I hope this helps.
Jeff
Jmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmar View Post
If you get into the 13s you'll be required to wear a helmet - some tracks rent them. I think you may be required to wear pants rather than shorts.

Don't drive through the water box - that's what the drivers with slicks do and it's ok. Like Frid says you should back up into it. You don't want to bring water to the line with your front tires. The track employees will help you at the line.

Roll up your windows.

Watch the staging lights (white ones as the top) as you approach the line slowly and light up both sets. If you see them blink on and off you've just rolled through and need to back up.

Release the clutch on the 3rd amber light, not on the green.

If there is a long line in the staging lanes you can open your hood to let things cool down and push the car along.

You may want to take a walk to the find the finish line. Sometimes they are after the timing displays which would lead you to lift before you're really finished.

You'll probably make new friends in the pits and staging lanes. Most racers are are friendly willing to help when you need it.

I hope this helps.
Jeff
Agreed, try not to make back to back runs over and over. The cooler the motor the better it will respond (my experience). Important too is like mentioned, don't let off when you think you've passed the 1/4mi mark, keep it floored through
Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
Jmar

Also if you go on "test & tune" night you may not have to wait as long to run. However the track my not be prepped as well as a race night. This means that you may spin more on your launch.

If you show up on a bracket night - which I highly recommend trying out sometime - you could have to wait longer. BUT the track will be prepped better and the stakes become higher since you have to usually buy back your runs if you lose.

So to recap - test and tune go nuts and have fun! Probably best for beginners.
Bracket racing - could cost more $$ and take more time. Consistent driving technique is key.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Also and easy thing to do that cane make a bit of difference is your tire pressure. Drop the rear tirest to around 28 psi, and inflate the front tires to around 40-45 psi.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #19
Jmar

Turn off traction control so this doesn't happen during burnout time.

Tivo a few recordings of Pass Time on Speed if you want to study. There's one show where a driver left traction control on while burning out in her Porsche 911. No smoke - just slow motion.

Here's one some drivers forget bc they're getting in and out a lot - seatbelts! Sometimes the techs see it sometimes they don't. I finished a run once only to look down and notice that I was driving commando!