Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Legion455

Drives: 2012 Camaro SW SS/RS
DIY: BrandMotion's Curb Alert Pro

Hey all!

I finally got my 2012 SS/RS 2 weeks ago, (after months of devouring everything on this forum! Installed the Heritage Grille and white SS emblem, along with the Chrome/Black Gills and Fender Flares. (more to come)

This site is so great, I wanted to give back something. ... so here's my install of BrandMotion's Curb Alert Pro ( www.brandmotion.com )

I saw another CurbAlert from a different company,... but was somewhat hesitant about it because of mixed reviews. Digging further, I found Brand Motions product, and thought I would give it a try. (got a good deal on ebay for it tooo!

The instructions are rather straight forward and simple enough,... so I'll just show how I applied those instructions to my Camaro.

The instructions are straightforward... w/ three main parts: From the left is the Speaker/Buzzer w/ On/Off switch. Next is the Proximity Sensor which mounts under the front of the car,... and last is the Main Module.

You'll need to go to AutoZone and get a terminal (ground) and a "Add a Tap" fuse. (note: the right angle one was a tight fit, so if you can find one that's smaller,.... get it!!!)

Mount the IR Sensor under the front of the car,... wiping down first with the alcohol pad they provide. (there's an allen screw (allen wrench included) for adjustment later.

Route the Proximity cable over to just under the washer resovoir, then come up into the engine bay,... and run the cable along side of the hood release cable. The white arrow shows where it goes through the Drivers Side firewall. Pull out the grommet,... and put a razor cut on the grommet to allow the proximity cable to also be fed thru the firewall. Push any extra cable thru, then push the grommet back in place. Might need some silicone or WD40 here to help seat the grommet back in place.

Open up the fuse panel and locate the yellow fuse shown. This is a "switched fuse" so this is the one you'll want to use for the installation.

Install the "Add a tap", then follow the instructions from Brand Motion for making all the connections, etc. I installed the Main Unit under the dash just in front of the fuse panel,... so access to the cables from the main unit would be easy.

Here's where I installed the Beeper. Under the dash just to the left of the hood release,... run the wires over to the fuse panel to the left.

Following the instructions,... I used the box, that the unit came in ... to act as the "curb" for positioning and alignment.

The install was very easy, and now when I pull up to a curb, I hear "three-beeps" telling me to STOP THE DANG CAR!!!!!!

Hope this little write up helps others!
Allen

Last edited by Legion455; 08-06-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Legion455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Daily Driver

Drives: Silver Bullet
Nice write up
Daily Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
vafinest25

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS "Orange Crush"
What is a switch fuse?

" When your ready to quit, your 1/2 way there"
Old 08-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
Legion455

A switched fuse .... ONLY has 12V when the car is ON or ACC ON. ie, no power at the fuse when the car is OFF . This particular fuse has power to it for I think up to ten minutes (like your radio does, if you turn off the car but stay inside and don't open the doors etc.)

For installing the Curb Alert Pro, you do NOT want it ON all the time,.... but only when the car is ON and active.

hope this helps.
Allen

PS Brand Motion just gave em a DISCOUNT code for everyone to use for 20% OFF iof you purchase from their webpage: RVS20OFF

Last edited by Legion455; 08-06-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
That's the same exact kit as the others. "Pro" just means they want a pro to install it.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
HaubSS

Drives: '11 IBM 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Does the beeping get progressive the closer you get, then turn into a solid tone? Similar to the back-up sensors?
BMR Stage 3 suspension
MRR 288 - 20x10(+35), 20x11(+43)
HaubSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Legion455

Not on mine ....

As I pull forward to a curb .... it will give a group of three beeps to let you know it's time to stop!!

Allen
Old 08-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

No. 3 beeps, then the crunch as the sensor hits the curb.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Legion455

hey man,.... don't know why you're trying to be a creep.,....

but the unit I installed on my car seems to work very well. No Crunch, and not hitting the curb either. If this should change, I'll be the first to let everyone know.
Sorry if you bought something that didn't work.

Allen

PS, and it's adjustable, ... as to how far away you want it to be from the curb when it sends the three beeps.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Lighten up. sparky. I have one of these. It is a pain in the ass to calibrate. When it fails, which is often, you hit the curb. I have hit now about 4 times, which is really annoying when I paid $160 not to. Yes, I re-calibrated after each hit.

It is currently unpowered. Deciding whether to try to calibrate again after the last 2-hour session where it refused to.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Augie1978

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Vert
I just installed one and it doesnt work.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
Awdition
Camaro out>CTS-V coupe in

Drives: CTS-V
Thanks for this write up...I followed it to the letter and it works flawlessly.

I would add though that you need to gently bend the 20 amp fuse in the Fuse Tap by about 45 degrees in order for the tap to sit flush in the fuse box. Perhaps this is the reason that some can't get it to work....unless the curb alert has power (and to do this the fuse tap must be fully inserted) then of course it won't chirp...
Old 04-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #13
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Mine works great, too; although I had a heck of a time feeding the sensor cable through that little hole you can't see while your big arm is between the strut tower brace end and the wiper trim panel. My wife didn't know I had some of those words in my vocabulary. Guess she doesn't know the depths of a good education.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:45 AM   #14
Ayuir
Army EOD Tech

Drives: 2014 BRM 2SS/RS
Rather than tapping the fuze (this looks like the power outlet/lighter fuze), couldn't you just tap the wire behind it (or closer to the outlet)? That should be a more reliable connection and might possibly be the source of problems for those whose sensors don't work all the time (and it's connected to a circuit that you wouldn't necessarily notice if it wasn't working).
Ayuir is offline   Reply With Quote