Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
AACstyle

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Arrow DIY: Installing ORACLE Concept LED Sidemirrors from AAC

*This is a LIVE guide we are updating on the backend so check back for more info*

Mirror Removal/ Installation

(Thanks BumbleBeeSS2009 for some of the photos)

Quote:
Step 1:
Remove tweeter - Pull up to remove (attached by clip). Now unplug the speaker wire.

Step 2:
Unscrew the 3 Philips screws on the edge of the door ( 2 are on the bottom and one is on the edge close to the tweeter.

Step 3:

Remove the Torx screw in the arm rest - Pull up the cover with your fingers and set to side. Now, using a T25 Trox bit remove the screw.

Step 4:

Next screw is behind the door handle. Pop off the cover trim to expose it. Pull the handle for better access.

Step 5:

Pull the door panel away from the door. It is held on by a series of clips across the top. Once the clips are detached you can lift and pull away to access the back of the door.

Step 6:

Unplug the wire harnesses from the panel (there are 3 on the passenger side door and 5 on the driver side.)

Detach the cable to the handle (you can leave attached but is easier to install the mirrors if disconnected).

MIRROR INSTALLATION:

Step 1:

With the door panel now removed locate the 2 covers on the upper inside part of the door (see diagram below).

Remove these covers and set aside.

Step 2:

Locate the wiring harness plug for the mirror and unplug it.

Push the rubber grommet into the door so that the wires can be routed out.

Step 3:

Now to remove the mirror. You can now see the 3 (10mm) nuts that hold the mirror to the door. See Below:

Remove these nuts (deep 1/4" drive socket works best).
WIRING:

Option #1

Quote:
Parking Light Wiring Instructions:

Tools needed:

2 Red T-Taps

2 Red Male Spades:

The white and black wires coming from the mirrors control the LEDs (Black= "-" and White= "+")

To get power from the marker lights you could wire the mirrors directly to the sidemarkers or the easier way is to tap power off the BMC.

The BCM is located under the driver dash near the pedals, it is a large box and easy to spot (our Camaro is on the way to SEMA right now otherwise we would post a pic)

Locate the Red wire w/ White Stripe (there are more than 1, any will work) that will be your 12V + so the white wire will be connected to this.

Locate the Light Blue Wire this is your ground trigger for the parking lights. When the parking lights are turned on this wire will ground the LEDs and cause them to come on.

Now clamp the red t-taps around the located wires on the BCM, crimp the spade connectors to the wires from the mirror (wires will need to be extended) and plug in like so:

Test the mirror LEDs by switching the headlight switch to the parking light position.
Option #2

Quote:
Turn signal wiring instructions (a la GearHeadPeter):

First you need to disconnect the turn signal bulb. On the driver’s side it is a bit tight and you may need to move the air scoop from the stock air box to get to the turn signal bulb. To do this it is easiest if you open the air box, remove the filter and you will see the air scoop sitting towards the front of the air box. Press in on either side to release the tabs that hold it in place and gently push the air scoop into the air box as far as it can go. You will now have access to the turn signal bulb on the driver’s side.

Once the bulb is out there is a plastic black wiring wrap around the wires. This wrap has a slit in it to put the wires for the turn signal through. You will want to put the new wire into that wiring wrap if possible of if you want to do it down and dirty just ty-wrap the wire to the outside. Again I was going for a factory look. About 4" from the turn signal bulb peel back the wrap that houses the wires for the turn signal. The wire you want is the Blue/White wire. For this I used a splice-connector. The Blue/White wire goes towards the outside while the black wire goes towards the inner side where there is a stop for it. Using a pair of pliers you will compress the metal tab into the wires. Once that is done you can close the splice-connector.

Try out your new modified AAC LED side mirrors. A bonus from all of this is now when you set your car alarm not only will the turn signals blink, but also the new LED side mirrors.

Pull out the air scoop so that it locks back in place again, and install the air filter and close up the box. Now if you have a CAI installed your directions to get to the driver's bulb might be different, and I will leave you to figure out how do that to you. Now go do the other side and enjoy the new modified AAC LED side mirrors and your new turn indicators.

Note: if connecting the mirrors to the turn signals you will need to extend the 2 extra wires coming off the mirrors (White and Black) which control the LEDs (White= + and Black = -). You can use any 16g-20g wire from radioshack or other electronics store. We usually use a jacketed 16/2 like THIS which can be purchased on Amazon.
Option #3

Quote:
Dual Intensity Circuit Wiring Instructions: Refer to this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96213

Last edited by AACstyle; 10-26-2012 at 04:44 PM.
AACstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: Roxanne (COTW 11/26/12)
Need help wiring the LEDs up. Is there anywhere in on the door I can tap in to? How do I get the wires hooked up under the dash, how do I route them?
soloknight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS with Gun metal Gray Stripes
Great thread!

Blk-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
sam.u.el

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally Yellow w/ blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Need help wiring the LEDs up. Is there anywhere in on the door I can tap in to? How do I get the wires hooked up under the dash, how do I route them?
+1

I have everything installed. I just can't get the led's to light up :/
sam.u.el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
BonaNox

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Having the same issue of routing the wire from the door to the car, and i don't want to drill into the door. Any pics out there of finished installation and routing of the wires?
BonaNox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
gbmike

Drives: 3rd 5th Gen: 2014 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.u.el View Post
+1

I have everything installed. I just can't get the led's to light up :/
+2

I haven't even started yet I'm not your best at electrikery either so a bit confused on the Dual Intensity instructions as well (although I think I may have figured it out?). I followed to the link (Dual Intensity Circuit Wiring Instructions: Refer to this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96213) and Peter shows amongst others the following pics:

1. first shows the diagram (similar version incl with mirrors)
2. second shows what I assume he has cut and spliced together, I've added some questions/comments to that pic.
3. third pic is the finished one, I assume leaving the wire that goes to the "RED(3rd Brake Light)??

So I'm also with solonight6 ... where are the missing pieces of the puzzle?
How do we connect from the mirror to the lights and in my case (and I'm sure others) including the Dual Intensity Mod as well??

Here's hoping someone can shed light (excuse the pun) on these Q's!!

BTW... obviously just unpacked mirrors and they look damn cool!
Attached Images

gbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
I PM you if you want help.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
AACstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonaNox View Post
Having the same issue of routing the wire from the door to the car, and i don't want to drill into the door. Any pics out there of finished installation and routing of the wires?
No need to drill a hole, you just route the wires through the same loom that the factory wires go through.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
gbmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
No need to drill a hole, you just route the wires through the same loom that the factory wires go through.
Right, but how do we access the wire from the other side? Do we need to remove the wheel liner to find it?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
AACstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmike View Post
Right, but how do we access the wire from the other side? Do we need to remove the wheel liner to find it?
Are you referring to getting power from the turn signals? You are asking how to get through the firewall? There is a large loom of wires that pass through the firewall on the drivers side, you can run your wire through this grommet.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
gbmike

Quote:
Are you referring to getting power from the turn signals? You are asking how to get through the firewall? There is a large loom of wires that pass through the firewall on the drivers side, you can run your wire through this grommet.
Yeah exactly, so you are talking about the loom that goes from the door to the body I assume? If so where does that come out the other side (body) and how do we get to it? I looked in the engine compartment but there seems to be body panels between the engine bay and where the loom should come through? Difficult to explain w/o pics but basically I don't see where the loom comes through ... this post only shows from the door side http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155660 and when you mention the grommet you are meaning the one shown in these pics on the body side?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: Roxanne (COTW 11/26/12)
Still waiting to find out if there is somewhere in the door itself we can tap in to, and would like pictures of wiring. Dont want to tap in to the wrong wire now...
soloknight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
whiteknight012
+Will+

Drives: 2011 CAMARO RS (1LT) CGM/BLK
Quote:
Still waiting to find out if there is somewhere in the door itself we can tap in to, and would like pictures of wiring. Dont want to tap in to the wrong wire now...
+1
Old 11-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
gbmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknight012 View Post
+1
I just sent an e-mail to Jonathan @ AAC, we have 3 separate posts that I know of
DIY: Installing ORACLE Concept LED Sidemirrors from AAC :
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post5779702

AAC Concept Mirrors - HELP PLS! (me)
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258921

How to run wires into the door
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155660
hopefully they will create a new (detailed) one that will help their customers ...
Old 11-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
AACstyle

Quote:
As the instructions above indicate you do not tap power inside of the door. You use the parking light wire from the BCM for parking light power.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
AACstyle

Quote:
I just sent an e-mail to Jonathan @ AAC, we have 3 separate posts that I know of
DIY: Installing ORACLE Concept LED Sidemirrors from AAC :
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post5779702

AAC Concept Mirrors - HELP PLS! (me)
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258921

How to run wires into the door
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155660
hopefully they will create a new (detailed) one that will help their customers ...
We plan on posting pictures as soon as we get an in-house installation (customer pushed back the appointment then we had to leave for SEMA).

In the meantime what exactly do you need information about? We would be happy to help
Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #17
gbmike

Quote:
We plan on posting pictures as soon as we get an in-house installation (customer pushed back the appointment then we had to leave for SEMA).

In the meantime what exactly do you need information about? We would be happy to help
Ah ok thnx, well sorry to force the issue then. For me I have some info from Ofer about connections but still need info on where the wiring loom comes out on the other side of the a pillar. Do we remove the wheel liner to get access, and assume that using the door to body wiring is the only option to get to the front turn signals?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
AACstyle

Quote:
Ah ok thnx, well sorry to force the issue then. For me I have some info from Ofer about connections but still need info on where the wiring loom comes out on the other side of the a pillar. Do we remove the wheel liner to get access, and assume that using the door to body wiring is the only option to get to the front turn signals?
When you feed the wires through the door loom they end up in the driver footwell near the fuse box
Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
AACstyle

While we were at SEMA we shot a quick video overview of the sidemirrors.
Check it out:

Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
OVERPAR73
2013 CRT ZL1 convertible

Drives: 2013 ZL1 vert
Now if we had step-by-step instructions on how to wire these up to include pictures for those of us that are beginners in wiring.
OVERPAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #21
gbmike

Quote:
When you feed the wires through the door loom they end up in the driver footwell near the fuse box
eeeeuuueww .... got it (I think - see pic below). So I know you are trying to help but I feel like I (we) are getting bits of answers every time. So if that IS the correct loom (in the pic) then how do we get from the footwell into the engine bay??
BTW, the video is nice but again I hear "plug and play", well apparently that may be the case unless you order the LEDs like I'm sure a lot of us did, there is no way this is plug and play.... or before shipping you really should have given a full set of instructions. As "Overpar73" mentions, some of us are nowhere near the level of other guys on this forum as far as wiring or mechanical or whatever, so by the fact you mention plug and play when ordering I thought all I had to do was literally plug it in, that is not true at all and is now causing "pain" for not only us, but AAC as well having to attempt answering all these questions ....it's extremely frustrating b/c we want to get these mirrors on !! ... ok, I'm done

Wait I lied, 2 more things I thought of recently, are the LEDs legal if they are on all the time (I'm in PA), I assume so, they are also "side markers" right? and can we connect them as side markers and hook into the turn signals as well?

ok, done now ...
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #22
OVERPAR73
2013 CRT ZL1 convertible

Drives: 2013 ZL1 vert
Plug and play my ass! Sorry but there is allot of additional wiring any I'm no expert at this, I hope I can get them installed OK, that is if I ever receive them!!!
OVERPAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #23
AACstyle

Quote:
eeeeuuueww .... got it (I think - see pic below). So I know you are trying to help but I feel like I (we) are getting bits of answers every time. So if that IS the correct loom (in the pic) then how do we get from the footwell into the engine bay??
There is a grommet that the main engine harness goes through in that same area that leads into the engine bay. If you look under the hood and follow the harness from the driver fender through the firewall its right there.

Quote:
Wait I lied, 2 more things I thought of recently, are the LEDs legal if they are on all the time (I'm in PA), I assume so, they are also "side markers" right? and can we connect them as side markers and hook into the turn signals as well?
Yes, correct they are a marker light and fall into compliance with FMVSS and NHTSA regulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 View Post
Plug and play my ass! Sorry but there is allot of additional wiring any I'm no expert at this, I hope I can get them installed OK, that is if I ever receive them!!!
In the video we state that the factory controls are plug and play, the LEDs you need to wire up. Its not "allot" of additional wiring, its a simple 2 wire connection (when it comes to 12V it LITERALLY does not get any easier than a + and - connection) its really getting made out to be more trouble than it is.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #24
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 View Post
lol this made me laugh thought i was rushed out to get em, ill be keeping an eye on this tread hope to do the install mid next week
Status 22" Staggered painted wheels/Eibach 1" Pro Kit Lowering Springs/Heritage Grille/Razzi Ground Effects Kit/RK Sports 3 piece Spoiler/DT Shortie Headers/Injen CAI/MRT 1.0 /Resonator Delete/Oracle Dual Red-white halos/Knight Rider grill Light/Sparks RS emblem/LED Sidemarkers/Red interior lighting/Gm fuel door/Halo Foglights/Trifecta Tune/IGGEE Seat covers/ Sinister Hood,VMAX throttle body/VMAX Black Iceolator/Technostalgia LED Taillights/3dCarbon Fender Vents/AAC Concept mirrors/zl1 bumper/AAC Plasma's/Scosche kit

WL-BMR Strut Bar/Custom rear vents
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #25
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
hole in firewall

ok guys, doing 2 installs tomorrow, but working on some other lighting today.
there is a hole in the firewall that has a rubber plug, look at the brake reservoir, just to the right of it, get your face low and next to the reservoir, look to the right of the reservoir, at the firewall, you will see a screw sticking out of the firewall, to the right of it is the rubber plug, push a long screwdriver through it and you should see it inside the car, might have to move carpet and padding to the top

sorry pics are rotated to the right:(, so the top of the pic is to the right

lupe
Attached Images

overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote