Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
BlakeH827

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Ips twin turbo

So I like the ips twin turbo kit and would like to get one. After debating between supercharges I rode in a twin turbo camaro and was instantly sold. My car is a daily for now and I love how turbos drive when cruising. However is this kit reliable for daily use? The air filters are under the car and I know they have a shield for it but how well does it work? And over all is the kit reliable for daily driving. It will be on low boost I don't want more than 600whp until I'm ready to build the transmission. My main goal overall is between 7-750 rwhp down the road. I'm not really worried about track times i just want a fast and reliable street car
BlakeH827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeH827 View Post
So I like the ips twin turbo kit and would like to get one. After debating between supercharges I rode in a twin turbo camaro and was instantly sold. My car is a daily for now and I love how turbos drive when cruising. However is this kit reliable for daily use? The air filters are under the car and I know they have a shield for it but how well does it work? And over all is the kit reliable for daily driving. It will be on low boost I don't want more than 600whp until I'm ready to build the transmission. My main goal overall is between 7-750 rwhp down the road. I'm not really worried about track times i just want a fast and reliable street car
No issues here. So far i have ran two different turbo combos from IPS and have had zero issues with them.
Check out their "entry level"kit they are working on right now.It will do everything you are asking for without breaking your wallet.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
IPSjeff

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost6924 View Post
No issues here. So far i have ran two different turbo combos from IPS and have had zero issues with them.
Check out their "entry level"kit they are working on right now.It will do everything you are asking for without breaking your wallet.
Thanks Tomi!

Just so you know, Tomi's car (Boost6924) made 1000rwhp on pump gas so "No issues" at that level is much much more difficult than "No issues" at 600rwhp and very few (If any) other mods on the car.

Here is Mark's (Atomicfusion) response to the reliability question from another thread on here:

"I want anyone concearned about these kits for Daily Driving to stop worrying!

My wife put over 10k miles on our last Camaro with the higher end kit and she has never been down a track EVER!

When I was teaching my daughter how to drive, she drove the car with no issues and I would feel comfortable driving the car across country.

I never had an overheating issue, I always ran the AC, I didn't have ANY drivability issues and until I stepped on the gas you couldn't hardly tell it was there (that was by design for my wife)

This kit is the reason I bought a Camaro... when I was watching them do the R&D on the first one of these kits I told them "you guys are going to make me buy a Camaro" and sure enough I did, and I put the kit on.

Entry level or high end version these kits are better than you can imagine and the quality and reliablity are amazing!

If you are on the fence, call the shop and schedule a ride along with me in mine (when the weather gets better) you won't be sorry!"
IPSjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
east TX Muscle cars

Drives: 2x 05 Vettes/65'AC cobra/68 camaro
There is no issue with running a TT kit daily. I think "MARK" in the above post summed it up the best from his view. I used to have a TT car with over 1000RWHP and i still DD. it drove better than a SC car at those levels actually..LOL...

You wont be going wrong if you decide on the TT! let us know if we can help you out. I see your up in OKC. we have alot of customers in that area. just sent a Camaro back there a couple weeks ago.
east TX Muscle cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
I have 22,XXX miles on my kit without any issues. The kit comes with socks that go over the filters and helps protect it from water. So far rain or shine the kit has been great.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
BlakeH827

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! After I posted this i saw the new entry level kit and was super excited! I do want to run it on pretty much all stock parts. I'm hoping once I get the kit and a strong transmission I can push it to 700 on stock motor. Carbon8 I think is his scream name is running 14 psi with the granatelli kit and is a bit over 800 I think. That's with stock motor, cam, everything. But it is on e85 which help a lot to save the motor. So I'm hoping to get close to 700 on pump gas and be reliable which I'm happy that everyone has good experience with these kits. Will there be a difference in reliability in the turbo without ball bearing? I don't think I will have the kit over 10 psi.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

I believe journal bearing turbos are actually more reliable. Your goal should be very attainable. I'm at
722 with ~10.5psi with stock cam and stock exhaust.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
BlakeH827

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPredator View Post
I believe journal bearing turbos are actually more reliable. Your goal should be very attainable. I'm at
722 with ~10.5psi with stock cam and stock exhaust.
How does your car hook at that power? I plan to do all the bushings in the rear end and make sure that it doesn't move much at all and I'll for sure be running drag radials. Also car I lower my car 1 inch?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
How does your car hook at that power? I plan to do all the bushings in the rear end and make sure that it doesn't move much at all and I'll for sure be running drag radials. Also car I lower my car 1 inch?
Mine has been lowered 1.5 inches. You will be ok with good set of street radials. Stock tires you will be out of control
Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Quote:
On 275 drag radials it will spin second but is weather and street dependent. On street tires it will spin all of third.