Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
RPI ZL1 Splash guard kit

Anyone buy this for a non-zl1 car? I have a 2LT RS and was looking at this set, mainly because the stealth ones on the rear look bad and have had horrible reviews. http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=2271

I'm assuming the front are the stealth ones, and back ones are factory ZL1 splash guards. I don't have many tools to create my own front splash guards, and I'd prefer something that uses existing factory screws and no drilling required. Is this a reasonable price?

UPDATE: items from the kit. only the top hole in the splash guard will have a screw go through it. The two other indents are so the existing screws have enough space to fit.

Front splash install:
cleaned the wheel well, applied 3M mounting tape

After install:

view from the back

Rear Install
Removed 3 screws, pulled back liner and cleaned the area

Placed ZL1 splash guard, making sure it was properly aligned. Little holes will actually match up with holes behind the liner. There are spaces for the bottom two screws, but it won't fit like the topmost one

Placed the lining back on top of the ZL1 splash guard and screwed it on. No need to cut the splash guard, behind the liner there was a smooth surface

After install. I took the wheel off because i didn't have a tool that would allow me to keep the wheel on and remove the screws. Gave me peace of mind that i screwed it in tight though.

How it looks from the back. Little extra space sticking out from the guard, you can see the little hole as well. Nothing too bad unless you're looking for it.

Overall I really like the ZL1 splash guards, they blend right in. The front ones are ok... I only wish that they were deeper in color in the rough part. They are an off grey, and my wheel wells are black. Also wish it somehow fit behind the wheel well liner as well like the rear ones.I sprayed it with some Adam's invisible undercarriage spray and it made it much darker. Hopefully it will not fade back to grey too easily. The back side/smoother side was darker and blended in better with my black paint.

Drove it around a bit over some small rocks, and they seem to work very well! Definitely less noise from and i feel better knowing my paint will not get so easily chipped

Heritage Grille | Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harness | LEDs - DRLs, dome, trunk, license plate | ZL1 rear and RPI front splash guards | CAI Inc. Cold Air Intake
Elite Engineering Catch Can | Oracle Ghosted Sidemarkers | FR ZL1 style wheels | VMax Black Ported TB

Last edited by FY_Ivan; 04-10-2013 at 03:25 PM.
FY_Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Yes, and the member also did a nice DIY write-up on the install.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

searched the posts, people have write ups on the zl1 splash guards but not directly from this kit. wanted to see if anyone had bought it what their installation experience was

Heritage Grille | Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harness | LEDs - DRLs, dome, trunk, license plate | ZL1 rear and RPI front splash guards | CAI Inc. Cold Air Intake
Elite Engineering Catch Can | Oracle Ghosted Sidemarkers | FR ZL1 style wheels | VMax Black Ported TB
Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
I have the Showstopper version that was priced considerably highr than these. I have not installed them yet. I just ordered these to compare and see which ones I like better. To be honest, if they are the same quality as the Showstopper ones, they are a great deal since they are less than half the price.

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS/RS
If you are just looking for the rears you can get them cheaper at GM parts warehouse: http://store.gmpartshouse.com/parts/...rchtext=splash
Forgestar F14s, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti, DBA Series Gold Hat XS Drilled and Slotted Rotors , Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, Magna Flow cat back exhaust, CAI Cold Air, Painted Heritage Grill, Ducted Street scene lower grill, Technostalgia LED Tail Lights, Lite-Right LED All in One Harness and 5k DRLs, Diode Dynamics cup holder and foot well lights, Oracle mail slot scanner, Wheel well lights, Emblem Pros lighted under hood bowtie, Billet interior and engine bay upgrades, Ghost Armor, Lloyd's interior and trunk carpet
LnLSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnLSS View Post
If you are just looking for the rears you can get them cheaper at GM parts warehouse: http://store.gmpartshouse.com/parts/...rchtext=splash
Woa thats much cheaper, am I looking at the right one?

"BODY HARDWARE / FENDER / FENDER & COMPONENTS / SPLASH shield"

item #14 in the diagram does not look anything like the splash guard though... and why are the left and right one different prices?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

#16 at bottom of page
Forgestar F14s, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti, DBA Series Gold Hat XS Drilled and Slotted Rotors , Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, Magna Flow cat back exhaust, CAI Cold Air, Painted Heritage Grill, Ducted Street scene lower grill, Technostalgia LED Tail Lights, Lite-Right LED All in One Harness and 5k DRLs, Diode Dynamics cup holder and foot well lights, Oracle mail slot scanner, Wheel well lights, Emblem Pros lighted under hood bowtie, Billet interior and engine bay upgrades, Ghost Armor, Lloyd's interior and trunk carpet
Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
I bought the factory ZL1 rear for ours and made matching ones for the front using the members diy on the forum

Wichita Region SCCA Autocross
#23 FS
http://www.wichitascca.org/SoloII.html
ICTsccaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
I bought the factory ZL1 rear for ours and made matching ones for the front using the members diy on the forum
If I buy them from the dealer I can install in the rear without additional drilling right?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

The rears are no drilling. Just use the two existing screw holes that are there.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
#16 at bottom of page
Do you need to order #17, too? The right and left "splash shield rivets?"
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
good question - not sure if it is included in the splash guards or not. or if needed at all

Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
Not sure as mine have not arrived yet. If so I hope the hardware from my stealth guards will work or I will be waiting another week for whatever that is. Also why would they come left and right?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
SlyJester7
SoCal HT5 *COTW 8/26/13*

Drives: 2013 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FY_Ivan View Post
Anyone buy this for a non-zl1 car? I have a 2LT RS and was looking at this set, mainly because the stealth ones on the rear look bad and have had horrible reviews. http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=2271

I'm assuming the front are the stealth ones, and back ones are factory ZL1 splash guards. I don't have many tools to create my own front splash guards, and I'd prefer something that uses existing factory screws and no drilling required. Is this a reasonable price?
wow that looks like a awesome deal compaired to showstopper ones.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
Asian Zero

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
you know RPI makes Stealth guards for non ZL1 cars and it is half the price and you can order just front or rear.

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1815

I made my front ones for $10 using a template and a box cutter but the rear ones are harder to make bc of the mounting points so I will be buying rear ones.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Ofer and I made my front ones for $8.95
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Zero View Post
you know RPI makes Stealth guards for non ZL1 cars and it is half the price and you can order just front or rear.

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1815

I made my front ones for $10 using a template and a box cutter but the rear ones are harder to make bc of the mounting points so I will be buying rear ones.
Yes, I know. The problem with the rear stealth ones is that it will only cover half the rear tire, so when you look at it from behind it looks funny. Look at the reviews of them on this forum, everyone seems to have a difficult time installing them and protection is sub-par. No problem with the front stealth guards from the reviews. The ZL1 splash guard kit seems like the best of both worlds, stealth kit on the front and ZL1 splash guards in the rear.

Dealer wants to charge me $100 for both rear left and right so I'm not going to order from them. I would get them from GM parts warehouse but I would still order the front ones from RPI, so I may just do do the whole thing from RPI, ends up being about the same price after the coupon code.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Ofer and I made my front ones for $8.95
Nice! I wish i could make my own, don't have many tools to do so

Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by FY_Ivan View Post
Nice! I wish i could make my own, don't have many tools to do so
snips sand paper use existing screws and some 3m tape
Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #20
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
Finally installed yesterday. Only used the top screw and had to cut a small notch in the top of the guard to do that. The other two screws do not align with the guard but the guard is notched out in those areas to allow a flush fit.. All though it comes with 3M tape along the entire side I did add a small amount at the bottom. I also added an addition screw in the bottom hole to be on the safe side this may be where they intended for the rivets to go. Fit was very good.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
SlyJester7
SoCal HT5 *COTW 8/26/13*

Drives: 2013 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Finally installed yesterday. Only used the top screw and had to cut a small notch in the top of the guard to do that. The other two screws do not align with the guard but the guard is notched out in those areas to allow a flush fit.. All though it comes with 3M tape along the entire side I did add a small amount at the bottom. I also added an addition screw in the bottom hole to be on the safe side this may be where they intended for the rivets to go. Fit was very good.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
So for V6 applications, these don't mount using existing screw holes/screws? Just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You were able to get 1 screw in (with a modification), otherwise it's being held with tape?

And yes,
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #23
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
So for V6 applications, these don't mount using existing screw holes/screws? Just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You were able to get 1 screw in (with a modification), otherwise it's being held with tape?

And yes,
Correct but like I said I added an additional screw. Maybe pics tomorrow if I can take them without removing the tire.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Ok looking at this pic I may not have needed to cut as much off the top as the picture shows. Just seemed when I was dry fitting that part was hanging up on the top.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #25
Lite-Right

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS
On my 2012 V6 Vert, the ZL1 rear splash guards bolted right up with no modification required. Here is a pic of what they look like from behind once mounted:

From the side, you can't even tell that they are there:

I made my own stealth splash guards for the front from a piece of black ABS plastic sheet. These made a huge difference in protecting the car from road tar and other crud, and I think the ZL1 rears actually improved the appearance as well.

Definitely a worthwhile mod !

Regards,

--Keith
Lite-Right is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
splash guards