Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,457
DIY: How to change your cabin air filter (Pics)

There are a few threads here talking about how to do this... but none of them had actual pictures.

I waited 130,000 miles to do this. I do not recommend waiting that long to do yours.

1) Pop the hood.

2) Find the passenger side cowl trim piece... right under the wiper. Then pop off three trim fasteners...







3) pop off the hood seal...



4) pop off the cowl trim piece...



5) pop off the filter retainer...



6) pull out the filter. Here what mine looked like after 130,000 miles.

front...



back...





oh... and remember that there is directionality to the filter. However, it wont easily go in the wrong way.


Amazon has a TYC brand filter for $16 (part # 800156P), free shipping (if you have prime, or spend $25)

Ebay has a TYC filter for $12.50 http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280519, free shipping

Amazon has an ACDelco brand for $25 (part # CF178), free shipping

Patrick T. has one for sale, but he doesn't list the price... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131179
Partick is a forum sponsor, and usually price matches well. I am guessing that he has the ACDelco filter.
__________________
Ordered: 10-13-08
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.

Last edited by Bell040; 05-07-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
Eich
 
Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 621
Great write-up and info on where to obtain the filters. THanks !
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
mydreamcar
My Dream Car
 
mydreamcar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: staten island
Posts: 1,282
awesome
__________________
CAI intake/ADM Scoop/Stainless Power Headers/Doug Thorley Catback Exhaust/Tuned by ECS. 428hp/426tq
mydreamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
ReoRockStar

 
ReoRockStar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT 45th AE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Jersey - North Jersey
Posts: 869
Subscribed so when I'm ready. 👍
Thanks for the info.


~{Eat,Sleep,Drive}~
__________________
ReoRockStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
429
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 813
Your filter doesnt look dirty. The Delco filters are that grey color when new.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Red_Maro
 
Red_Maro's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Spain
Posts: 74
Hope this helps

Red_Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
ActNup NY

 
ActNup NY's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NYC
Posts: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
There are a few threads here talking about how to do this... but none of them had actual pictures.

I waited 130,000 miles to do this. I do not recommend waiting that long to do yours.

1) Pop the hood.

2) Find the passenger side cowl trim piece... right under the wiper. Then pop off three trim fasteners...







3) pop off the hood seal...



4) pop off the cowl trim piece...



5) pop off the filter retainer...



6) pull out the filter. Here what mine looked like after 130,000 miles.

front...



back...





oh... and remember that there is directionality to the filter. However, it wont easily go in the wrong way.


Amazon has a TYC brand filter for $16 (part # 800156P), free shipping (if you have prime, or spend $25)

Ebay has a TYC filter for $12.50 http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280519, free shipping

Amazon has an ACDelco brand for $25 (part # CF178), free shipping

Patrick T. has an one, but he doesn't list the price... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131179
Partick is a forum sponsor, and usually price matches well. I am guessing that he has the ACDelco filter.
That's what I cabin funk (teasing) Thxs for the write up though mines is soon to be changed as well. This well help. Pictures are always great.
__________________
I'M SO FAR AHEAD OF MY TIME, I'M ABOUT TO PASS YOU TWICE..
ActNup NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
rdblan2

 
Drives: 2SS RS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 1,223
I expected the filter to be completely clogged after 130K miles! That actually doesn't look too bad to me.
__________________
Livernois 2C cam and tune, LS3 conversion, Roto-Fab intake, Kooks headers, DSS driveshaft and axles, BMR suspension parts, VMax ported throttle body, Whipple blower. (623hp).
rdblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
james347
 
Drives: 2006 Crownline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: .
Posts: 709
Great DIY, thank you for doing this!
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429 View Post
Your filter doesnt look dirty. The Delco filters are that grey color when new.
I just replaced mine with an AC Delco filter, and the new one was white as snow: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- RX Catch Can
Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
GraySS2011
 
GraySS2011's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chelmsford MA
Posts: 349
Pulled the shrouding off last fall and my car did not even have a filter. I learned that other folks noticed they had no filter from the factory either. I installed a new one anyway.
__________________
2011 2SS RSS , MN6, CGM
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/nicecorvette <----- My Cars and Trucks


GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySS2011 View Post
Pulled the shrouding off last fall and my car did not even have a filter. I learned that other folks noticed they had no filter from the factory either. I installed a new one anyway.
oh shit, now everyones gotta go check
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #13
SROD
THE ROD MAN
 
SROD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS #631
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TENNESSEE
Posts: 549
Yup. that sucks. no filter, id talk to the dealer about that, or the mechanic that services you.
__________________
SROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
StormtrooperJun
 
StormtrooperJun's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 71
Thanks for the quick write-up, pics, and links
StormtrooperJun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
JimE

 
JimE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROD View Post
Yup. that sucks. no filter, id talk to the dealer about that, or the mechanic that services you.
hmmm

Talk to the mechanic that services the car, we don't need to know about the other.
__________________
Perm-a-grin in place.....
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
dragon22

 
dragon22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,679
Wow! Looks like you drive through some really dusty conditions!
__________________
2010 2SS/RS - 6M Silver Ice Metallic

ARH LT Headers with MBRP 3" catback exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ZL1 inspired splitter, ZL1 Grille, Rear Fascia blackout, Gill decals, Aftermarket Hurst Short Throw shifter, Tune by Jannetty Racing.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
IDriveAV6
 
IDriveAV6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 125
Great write up!
IDriveAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer
 
Dan1028's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 189
Excellent write up, and the video post is also very helpful.

Just a note to anyone who is running out to buy brand new filters:
  • Filter arrestance performance IMPROVES as it becomes loaded. This is because particles will clog the various pores of the filter, obstructing airflow.
  • If you replace the air filter too early, you're actually not bettering interior air quality since the arrestance isn't improving.
  • If you replace the filter too late, this will increase static pressure on the fan, causing a reduction in airflow (which in turn will affect HVAC performance) and potentially freezing of the evaporator coil.

Like everything, the period for replacing the cabin air filter is a balance. The 2012 Camaro Owner's Manual states every 22,500 miles, and is probably a reasonable estimate.
__________________
Current Vehicle: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Past Vehicle: 2001 Honda Prelude SS

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #19
ReoRockStar

 
ReoRockStar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT 45th AE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Jersey - North Jersey
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1028 View Post
Excellent write up, and the video post is also very helpful.

Just a note to anyone who is running out to buy brand new filters:
  • Filter arrestance performance IMPROVES as it becomes loaded. This is because particles will clog the various pores of the filter, obstructing airflow.
  • If you replace the air filter too early, you're actually not bettering interior air quality since the arrestance isn't improving.
  • If you replace the filter too late, this will increase static pressure on the fan, causing a reduction in airflow (which in turn will affect HVAC performance) and potentially freezing of the evaporator coil.

Like everything, the period for replacing the cabin air filter is a balance. The 2012 Camaro Owner's Manual states every 22,500 miles, and is probably a reasonable estimate.
Good to know.
__________________
ReoRockStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
LIM3
it's mind bottling..
 
LIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: I drive the green one
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: I live where you vacation. Miami FL
Posts: 5,181
where did you get your filter
__________________
LIM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,457
Amazon (the $16 one)
__________________
Ordered: 10-13-08
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #22
Denis


 
Denis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 5,648
I just did mine the other day. 40k on the odometer.

__________________
Denis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #23
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin
 
hworth18's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
I just did mine the other day. 40k on the odometer.

I just changed mine the other day as well and it looked very similar. I have a little over 32k miles on the OD. I bought the WIX filter from my local parts store and it was $40! Oh well, it's not like I'm going to be changing this every 5k miles, only seasonally..lol
__________________
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark
hworth18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
StormtrooperJun
 
StormtrooperJun's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 71
I did mine last weekend ordering the TYC from the links in this DIY. Mine was just as dirty as all of yours with 39k on the clock. It's nice to know there's cleaner air coming into the cabin.
StormtrooperJun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #25
burton227
 
burton227's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Yellow w/ Black stripes
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 97
Good DIY changed my air filter last night and it was quick and painless! thanks!
burton227 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.