Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Identify This Leak

I was under the Camaro this evening working on the exhaust and found this guy leaking. It looks like it's coming out of the oil pan and runs back towards the transmission. Anyone recognize it? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Camaro
????
Performance Upgrades: CAI Intake, VMAX Ported TB, RX Catch Can, ZL1 Dual mode NPP Exhaust, 1LE Strut Brace, SS Brembo Brakes w/ Hawk HPS Pads & Goodridge brake lines, DOT4 Motul, 1LE Suspension Upgrade, 1" Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs, Vitesse Controller.
Exterior Upgrades: Ceramic Tint 30%, Axis Allies rims 20x9/20x10, Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 Tries 285/305, GM Front Splitter, Oracle Lighted Bowtie, rk sport spoiler, ZL1 Upper Grill & Side Rockers, 14' SS Hood Vent, Custom Brake Coolers.
Audio Upgrades: Image Dynamics 10" Subwoofer w/custom leather box & Morel Speakers
KaBoom1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Coolant leak for the oil cooler. Take it in and have it repaired...there is a TSB for this.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
a.morblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Coolant leak for the oil cooler. Take it in and have it repaired...there is a TSB for this.
Thank's. I'm cammed and tuned so out the window goes all warrenty work. I guess I'll take this opportunity to upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
blake-b

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS LS3
I would still ask a dealer about it. Tuning and camming have little to do with a leak from the side of the block. The worst they can say is "no". If you haven't been told "no" ask first. Your other alternative is to fix it yourself or block it off.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.morblu View Post
Thank's. I'm cammed and tuned so out the window goes all warrenty work. I guess I'll take this opportunity to upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I would still ask a dealer about it. Tuning and camming have little to do with a leak from the side of the block. The worst they can say is "no". If you haven't been told "no" ask first. Your other alternative is to fix it yourself or block it off.
This. While you are cammed and tuned - neither would have any real "direct" impact on that seal not being good. Besides - worst they can say is no right?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Maybe a bit worse than that, if they say no and charge you a half hour shop time for diagnosis.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
a.morblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
This. While you are cammed and tuned - neither would have any real "direct" impact on that seal not being good. Besides - worst they can say is no right?
I'll def ask. You're right. All they can say is no. Either way it needs fixed before it becomes a bigger issue.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I have headers and a tune........dealer said nothing. Its a TSB not a warranty issue, should be no problem. They will more than likely have to unbolt the drivers side header to get better access. Its a cross threaded nipple that occurred on some vehicles during assembly.....after time it develops a small coolant leak. There are lots of threads on this issue....check em out.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Flynnaz
Wicked Camaro

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to Flynnaz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnaz Send a message via Skype™ to Flynnaz
I had the same leak, there is a TSB. It is caused by a cross threaded connector. May sure to stress the leak is caused by poor workmanship. My dealer tried to tell me connectors are not covered on my extended warranty. They have to retread the hole to fix it properly.

Mods so far: Ported Throttle Body/Airiad CAI/ Elite Oil Catch Can/Clutch reservoir separation Mod/Subthump/Foot well Lighting/RBG LED behind Grill/LED under Polished Strut Tower Brace/Vinyl Gill Blackouts/Skip Shift Eliminator/DYI Mild to Wild/AAC Plasma DRL's with Plug n Play harness/Blue LED Dome light, white LED trunk and Licence plate light/tinted windows/blacked out side markers and tail lights/Headlight Armor/Clear Bra/splash guards/Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts/Plastidipped Bow Ties and rear Tail Light Bezels/Emblem Pros Black Camaro letters/diodedynamics lighted cup holder (SS)
Flynnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.morblu View Post
I was under the Camaro this evening working on the exhaust and found this guy leaking. It looks like it's coming out of the oil pan and runs back towards the transmission. Anyone recognize it? Thanks in advance.
Wow! Sincere apologies about the leak. Please send me a message with your VIN so I can research this matter further. I look forward to hearing from you.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
JOHNSON SPEED SHOP

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS
This is not a complicated repair. The connector will need to be replaced because it is made from soft aluminum. The threads in the block are cleaned up and a new connector is installed with pipe sealant.
JOHNSON SPEED SHOP is offline   Reply With Quote