Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Ravener

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Blk
WTF "The Sequel": Lifters and Cam damage...again

Quick history lesson: 9 months ago I had the LG G6X3 cam installed in my 2010 SS LS3. Also had TB ported by builder. Oil pump failed on the dyno post install (I was not present). Pump was replaced w/ stock, no idea if there was any damage as builder assumed there was none (Yes, my fault for not pressing the matter). Car dynoed 470/440. Car ran fine for ~ 1 month before developing a sudden and very noticeable ticking. Towed back to shop, teardown showing half the lifters destroyed/mushroomed in addition to extensive cam scoring and damage. LG stepped up and replaced the cam ( adjusted the grind to allow for a tiny bit more PTV clearance just in case) and lifters citing potential/probable oil cause (mobile1 lack of zinc/magnesium for cammed vehicles) and builder put it back together. Lifter bores were "assumed" to be fine by builder even though the lifters had to be forcibly removed (dug out). Car dynoed 455/424, no one can explain it (no idea why and tuning is another story entirely...).

Fast forward to this past Friday: Not having any issues since 2nd install back in October, car suddenly develops a ticking pulling out of driveway. Immediately pulled it back into garage and shut her down, the tick was definitely coming from the motor. Did a full tear down to the block yesterday w/ help of buddies. First thing I noticed was that my supposedly "ported" TB was beat to absolute sh*t. The inside was scored and dug out/grooved in a total hack job. Worse, there was a quarter sized piece missing from the neck/lip!! Infuriating and clearly a massive screw up by builder who never told me and sought to cover it up. Also the drivers side head and block valley had extensive scuffing and "grinding" marks from what I can only assume was from the last "install." Again, maddening. Next, upon removing the passenger side head we found several lifters did not easily slide from the bores. 1 lifter required some assistance via pliers on the #2 cylinder to come out though we didn't see any real damage. However, a lifter from the #4 required 15 of plier work and sweat to pull from the bore and showed signs of damage (roller chewed though intact) and scuffing etc. Below are pics I took, I have others:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  cell pics 292.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  cell pics 294.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  118.2 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  81.4 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  112.5 KB

So aside from apparently requiring repairs to the bores (is it possible?) which should have been done originally, and needing new lifters and cam...I also need a new throttle body which was trashed by the builder.

I guess for now my question would be what am I looking at for repairs and other possible damage that may yet be unseen? I can take stuff apart (to help save money for teardowns) but prefer to leave the repairs and mods to pros.

Any help/suggestions would be welcome.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Holy shit!
Who the hell was this "builder"?
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Ravener

For now I'm going to withhold his name and shop in the possibility that he will take the opportunity to help correct this mess. Already reached out to inform him. The throttle body is an obvious screw up as well as the head "scoring". I honestly can't lay blame regarding the cam/lifters since sh*t happens and you just can't say it was the builder...I mean it's a cam install, hard to screw up. But I'm still here scratching my head...
Old 05-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Ouch.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
silverz28

Drives: 1996 Camaro Z28, 2012 2SS/RS
How are they in business doing work like that?
2012 2SS/RS IOM, LS3, Aftermarket Hurst shifter, IOM interior, Borla "S", 1 7/8 Big Flow headers, ADM Race cold air, BMR 1" lowering springs, SLP Supercharger, Custom Comp Cam, Fore Innovations twin pumps, Flex Fuel Sensor
silverz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Wow that's scary. Hope it all work out for you.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Judging by the pix of the tb it looks like a cnc job that's been gone over again and made too thin.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
Ravener

The first thing I thought when I saw the missing metal was...wtf is that piece??? I can't imagine anyone installing that on a car...so if I assume it was too thin and broke off after install...that piece was/is in my motor. What kind of damage could that have caused...
Old 05-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravener View Post
For now I'm going to withhold his name and shop in the possibility that he will take the opportunity to help correct this mess. Already reached out to inform him. The throttle body is an obvious screw up as well as the head "scoring". I honestly can't lay blame regarding the cam/lifters since sh*t happens and you just can't say it was the builder...I mean it's a cam install, hard to screw up. But I'm still here scratching my head...
A cam install is not hard to screw up? Well, I have seen it time and time again. Someone gets a cam install, a little while later they get a tick and trash a motor. People try to say that it had nothing to do with the install, but most of the time it has everything to do with the install. Whenever you go in the motor there is chance of leaving even the smallest amount of trash in it. This trash gets mixed in the oil and then gets sent through the oil pump, lifters, bearings, ect.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
One thing that back yard mechanics dont realize is the ls engine is not as forgiving as the SBC. Not saying that the op took his car to such a person.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Your builder sucks. No doubt about it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Op, how many miles since this cam and lifter repair was done?
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravener View Post
Quick history lesson: 9 months ago I had the LG G6X3 cam installed in my 2010 SS LS3. Also had TB ported by builder. Oil pump failed on the dyno post install (I was not present). Pump was replaced w/ stock, no idea if there was any damage as builder assumed there was none (Yes, my fault for not pressing the matter). Car dynoed 470/440. Car ran fine for ~ 1 month before developing a sudden and very noticeable ticking. Towed back to shop, teardown showing half the lifters destroyed/mushroomed in addition to extensive cam scoring and damage. LG stepped up and replaced the cam ( adjusted the grind to allow for a tiny bit more PTV clearance just in case) and lifters citing potential/probable oil cause (mobile1 lack of zinc/magnesium for cammed vehicles) and builder put it back together. Lifter bores were "assumed" to be fine by builder even though the lifters had to be forcibly removed (dug out). Car dynoed 455/424, no one can explain it (no idea why and tuning is another story entirely...).

Fast forward to this past Friday: Not having any issues since 2nd install back in October, car suddenly develops a ticking pulling out of driveway. Immediately pulled it back into garage and shut her down, the tick was definitely coming from the motor. Did a full tear down to the block yesterday w/ help of buddies. First thing I noticed was that my supposedly "ported" TB was beat to absolute sh*t. The inside was scored and dug out/grooved in a total hack job. Worse, there was a quarter sized piece missing from the neck/lip!! Infuriating and clearly a massive screw up by builder who never told me and sought to cover it up. Also the drivers side head and block valley had extensive scuffing and "grinding" marks from what I can only assume was from the last "install." Again, maddening. Next, upon removing the passenger side head we found several lifters did not easily slide from the bores. 1 lifter required some assistance via pliers on the #2 cylinder to come out though we didn't see any real damage. However, a lifter from the #4 required 15 of plier work and sweat to pull from the bore and showed signs of damage (roller chewed though intact) and scuffing etc. Below are pics I took, I have others:

So aside from apparently requiring repairs to the bores (is it possible?) which should have been done originally, and needing new lifters and cam...I also need a new throttle body which was trashed by the builder.

I guess for now my question would be what am I looking at for repairs and other possible damage that may yet be unseen? I can take stuff apart (to help save money for teardowns) but prefer to leave the repairs and mods to pros.

Any help/suggestions would be welcome.
OP, if I were you (and trust me, I've been in your shoes) I would take that engine out of the car, tear it down completely, and just do a fresh build. I'd have the block machined and get all new upgraded internals (might as well do a stroker) with aftermarket or ported heads and another cam. Then I'd put it all together myself. Or I'd just buy a crate engine.

But concerning your story, I personally don't like that your builder "assumed" there was no engine damage when the oil pump failed. If anything, he should have assumed that there WAS engine damage. Or at least explained to you that it's a huge possibility. He should have given you the choice of either breaking the engine back down or just leaving it alone and hoping for the best. And then to "assume" that the lifter bores were fine after having to forcibly remove the lifters is just idiotic. Especially since the engine was already out and torn down. That makes no sense and he should have known better.

Your best bet is to take the block and the heads to a machine shop and ask their opinion.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #14
badassracing

Drives: Mini Van
Sounds like its time to find a new mechanic. I also wouldn't recommend using the G6X3 cam in unless it just a track car. It has very aggressive intake lobes that are hard to control.
badassracing is offline   Reply With Quote