Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Da Mammer

Drives: 2010 camaro SS... shell...
have a v8, 6-speed, and more than 450rwhp? this ? Is for you...

So just wondering from you guys that have been there done that. When you get past a certain point in power notice the clutch starts halving its return from shift to shift at high throttle. Now I understand that it's heat attributed to centrifugal forces that break down the clutch fluid (dot 3 brake fluid) viscosity, but I have also been told that the simple fix is a heavy duty clutch return spring. My question is have you changed to dot 4 for a higher viscosity breakdown point fluid ~120 degrees higher boiling point (and therefor bled the entire brake line), or did you just swap the clutch return spring to solve the issue and how well did either work? And apparently i have to throw it in here as well but i DON'T have a stock clutch anymore. i have a ZR1 clutch/pressure plate thats well overrated (960ft lbs) for my current power. no speeches on 'just slapping in a better clutch/pressure plate'. Thanks.

Last edited by Da Mammer; 06-25-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Da Mammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
camaroRND2

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS 6sp.
im exactly at that power point and my clutch is spongey after some fun driving. honestly man ur clutch is just holding on by a thread anyways so u can keep doing all the cheap easy fixes that prolonge the inevitable or do what i did and buy a clutch design for ur power and driving style. Mantic 9000 was my choice light weight and can easily handle the power when i slap the whipple on it as well. either way man good luck.
camaroRND2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I think a tranny/clutch rebuild is in my future for this exact reason.
I have no intention of ever selling my Camaro, I will simply continue to modify and repair as necessary to keep her new and hot.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Da Mammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroRND2 View Post
im exactly at that power point and my clutch is spongey after some fun driving. honestly man ur clutch is just holding on by a thread anyways so u can keep doing all the cheap easy fixes that prolonge the inevitable or do what i did and buy a clutch design for ur power and driving style. Mantic 9000 was my choice light weight and can easily handle the power when i slap the whipple on it as well. either way man good luck.

Not looking for a cheap fix, im looking for the solution to the problem. I have an 8 bolt Lingenfelter flywheel and zr1 style twin disc clutch rated for 960 ft lbs. I don't think the issue is my clutch..
Old 06-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Has nothing to do with your clutch fluid.

All about the centripetal force holding your pressure plate disengaged at high rpm.

Solution is buying pressure plate with more spring pressure (non-stock)
Old 06-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Da Mammer

Is there noone with the burden of knowledge able to answer?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
Good2go
Team Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Z06 and 2011 Camaro 2SS
I wish I could help, I'm at 490rwhp on the stock clutch with no problems.
Forgeline GA3's 9.5/11 with NT-05 Nitto's, Pedders Sportsryder Supercar Coilovers, MGW Shifter, LPE GT1-1 Cam, AR 1 7/8" LT's, Halltech CAI, SW Retro Chambered Cat-Back, Installed and tuned by Corey @ Henderson Performance Technology.
Good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
stryker755

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert AGM
I've had no problems with the stock clutch but havent drag raced yet, just spirited rowing.
-2010 2SS/RS Silver Ice M6 TVS2300 700HP (SOLD)
-2010 2SS Aqua Blue M6 Stock (SOLD)
-1986 Sport Coupe Gray Built 355 (SOLD)
stryker755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
I had this problem on boltons. -.-

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Saw this posted this morning. I dont have a answer but maybe the wrong section to ask... go to the v8 bolton section and find, dont remember but like the hardcore of camaro owners that been there done that and push it to the limit thread.
Maybe someone will give you the link im talking about
Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
Secret Squirrel

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
I wish I could help, I'm at 490rwhp on the stock clutch with no problems.
Same here. Never had any issues.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I'm running the Mantic 9000 twin-disk clutch and I'm using Super Blue brake fluid. No problem with the clutch pedal return. It's a great clutch; much smoother and better feel than stock. Try upgrading the brake fluid first then see how your clutch performs. I also have stainless steel braided brake lines which may help in keeping the line pressure consistent since they don't expand when hot like the rubber factory lines.

I'm going to separate the clutch and brake fluid reservoirs to keep clutch dust out of the brake lines but that solution might also help you with your issue. I haven't looked but are the lines from the clutch to the master cylinder hard steel or soft rubber? If they're rubber try replacing with braided SS so they don't expand when hot.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
Da Mammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I'm running the Mantic 9000 twin-disk clutch and I'm using Super Blue brake fluid. No problem with the clutch pedal return. It's a great clutch; much smoother and better feel than stock. Try upgrading the brake fluid first then see how your clutch performs. I also have stainless steel braided brake lines which may help in keeping the line pressure consistent since they don't expand when hot like the rubber factory lines.

I'm going to separate the clutch and brake fluid reservoirs to keep clutch dust out of the brake lines but that solution might also help you with your issue. I haven't looked but are the lines from the clutch to the master cylinder hard steel or soft rubber? If they're rubber try replacing with braided SS so they don't expand when hot.
Thanks for the input doc. Where did you get your SS lines from might I ask? Btw i followed the thread on your car awesome job with the weight program you've done on your car, very nice work sir.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
Only time I've had problems is at the drag strip. Damn near didn't have a clutch the first time I left.