Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Talking SW Retro Chambered cat back - Before and After LT headers!

The Stainless Works Retro Chambered cat back has quickly become one of the most popular exhaust systems for the 5th Gen Camaro SS. Below is a video that many of you have probably seen before. When we shot this video the car was bone stock except for the cat back.




Since then the car has had some suspension and induction upgrades. More importantly, it has had Stainless Works 1 7/8 headers with high flow cats added. As great as the Retro Chambered sounds on its own, this is on another level.

__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred
 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3 '15 Z/28
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 8,247
Is this what you were recording in the other thread?
__________________
Click For Build Thread ***CAI Intake, ARH LTs, FSP Big NA Cam, Tuned By Matt@FSP***
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Birm



 
Birm's Avatar
 
Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Posts: 3,168
Greatest combination for these cars! Nothing sounds meaner.......ok well maybe a little cam chop to go with it....oh and a SC whine........

http://youtu.be/kStMgMrAonU
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Is this what you were recording in the other thread?
Yep.

__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
2SScamaro2010
 
2SScamaro2010's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 128
That's awesome headers are my next mod and I was wondering how this was going to sound. Thanks
__________________
Mods: SW Retro Chambered cat back, CAI cai black, APEX scoop and ww tank, RX catch can, APEX Skip-shift Eliminator, Hurst short throw, Kooks 1 7/8 headers high flow cats, Livernois dyno tune, WHP: 415 WTQ: 407
2SScamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Abrahams11SS
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Black-n-Orange
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SScamaro2010 View Post
That's awesome headers are my next mod and I was wondering how this was going to sound. Thanks
PM me a cellphone or email and I can send you a sweet video of TSP headers off road cats and the SW retro chambered exhaust and a 231/236 cam... STOOOpid awesome to me.. best sounding car I know of besides Birms which was the same only boosted and on like 1000mg a week of steriods straight into the block lol
Abrahams11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
Greatest combination for these cars! Nothing sounds meaner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SScamaro2010 View Post
That's awesome headers are my next mod and I was wondering how this was going to sound. Thanks
Agreed. This is my absolute favorite exhaust system for these cars.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
RJT-SS
 
RJT-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 505
That is the best sound, bar-none, for the 5th gens. How is the drone at 65-75 mph inside the car? Any plans to record that?

I love this system but it is still too pricey for me.

Great work Chase and thank you!
__________________
Performance Mods:
Kooks 1-7/8 LTs; Calico coated w/HFCs, Solo Mach XL catback w/J-pipes, VMax TB, C.A.I. Intake, JRE Tune, RX Catch-Can
RJT-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Birm



 
Birm's Avatar
 
Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Posts: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
That is the best sound, bar-none, for the 5th gens. How is the drone at 65-75 mph inside the car? Any plans to record that?

I love this system but it is still too pricey for me.

Great work Chase and thank you!
None that I noticed on my personal car. It's loud, you hear the exhaust but it is a 3" with Headers and chambered mufflers (and in my case cam) so its to be expected. But nothing intolerable, you can very easily have a phone call or conversation without issue.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Birm



 
Birm's Avatar
 
Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Posts: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrahams11SS View Post
PM me a cellphone or email and I can send you a sweet video of TSP headers off road cats and the SW retro chambered exhaust and a 231/236 cam... STOOOpid awesome to me.. best sounding car I know of besides Birms which was the same only boosted and on like 1000mg a week of steriods straight into the block lol


Hey hey, it wa only 800mg

Bro post it to youtube then just imbed the link
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
That is the best sound, bar-none, for the 5th gens. How is the drone at 65-75 mph inside the car? Any plans to record that?

I love this system but it is still too pricey for me.

Great work Chase and thank you!
ZERO DRONE. Obviously, you hear the exhaust more but there is no resonance with this exhaust system. We have looked at doing some interior recording but to get good sound is more difficult than you might think and it really just sounds like the exterior stuff but quieter. Below are some customer quotes concerning the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I have the entire SW's system and LOVE IT. NO DRONE at ALL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
No drone, NONE. Pure music. Many, many compliments. IMO it has all the other popular systems (Borla, Corsa and whatnot) beat hands down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SScamaro2010 View Post
Im pretty happy with my Stainless Works retro chambered. I have never experienced any drone with it and it sounds awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5RaCefReaK View Post

The system sound is awesome and has no drone. I couldn't be happier. The power difference is great. Do not regret this at all.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
Schmidty
Facebook.com/SoCalCamaro5
 
Schmidty's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,085
Chase, thank you for your help with the Stainless Works 3" Retro Chambered Catback, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, and Roto-Fab Intake! Here is the video I took from after the install! Sound quality isn't as great as the Apex video...but I get lots of compliments on this set-up!

__________________
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Tantalizer43

 
Tantalizer43's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
That is the best sound, bar-none, for the 5th gens. How is the drone at 65-75 mph inside the car? Any plans to record that?

I love this system but it is still too pricey for me.

Great work Chase and thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
ZERO DRONE. Obviously, you hear the exhaust more but there is no resonance with this exhaust system. We have looked at doing some interior recording but to get good sound is more difficult than you might think and it really just sounds like the exterior stuff but quieter. Below are some customer quotes concerning the sound.
Exactly what Chase said. This is my car and simply put, I fell in love with it again after I added the headers. Don't worry about the drone, just "add to cart"! I was hesitant to add headers but I wish I would have done it sooner

Sound level is not obnoxious, but it is loud, very impressive. Garners attention and as you can tell, very aggressive tone. NO noticeable drone. What so ever. You will hear the exhaust inside the car of course, but do not confuse that with drone. You can carry on a conversation and jam to your music. People who are not even gear heads compliment the sound.

The only thing I wish we could have captured better on the video is the decel pop. It's fantastic! I just didnt pass the camera at the right RPM range I think.

Awesome price, fast shipping, and 1st class customer service from Apex Motorsports!
__________________
Tantalizer43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
JWoj3540
 
JWoj3540's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
Greatest combination for these cars! Nothing sounds meaner.......ok well maybe a little cam chop to go with it....oh and a SC whine........

http://youtu.be/kStMgMrAonU
Nice
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
JWoj3540
 
JWoj3540's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalizer43 View Post
Exactly what Chase said. This is my car and simply put, I fell in love with it again after I added the headers. Don't worry about the drone, just "add to cart"! I was hesitant to add headers but I wish I would have done it sooner

Sound level is not obnoxious, but it is loud, very impressive. Garners attention and as you can tell, very aggressive tone. NO noticeable drone. What so ever. You will hear the exhaust inside the car of course, but do not confuse that with drone. You can carry on a conversation and jam to your music. People who are not even gear heads compliment the sound.

The only thing I wish we could have captured better on the video is the decel pop. It's fantastic! I just didnt pass the camera at the right RPM range I think.

Awesome price, fast shipping, and 1st class customer service from Apex Motorsports!
I love decal pop, this catback is in my garage awaiting install and headers next summer, woohoo! Is there any real difference here between using Kooks vs. ARH vs. SW headers here (all 1 ⅞" by the way)
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
Birm



 
Birm's Avatar
 
Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Posts: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWoj3540 View Post
Nice
Thanks
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #17
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWoj3540 View Post
I love decal pop, this catback is in my garage awaiting install and headers next summer, woohoo! Is there any real difference here between using Kooks vs. ARH vs. SW headers here (all 1 ⅞" by the way)
Here is a link to a thread I wrote about selecting headers. Yes, there are some differences between those brands but you can't make a wrong decision if those are the brands you are deciding between. They are the top of the line.

Choosing The Right Long Tube Headers
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #18
JWoj3540
 
JWoj3540's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Here is a link to a thread I wrote about selecting headers. Yes, there are some differences between those brands but you can't make a wrong decision if those are the brands you are deciding between. They are the top of the line.

Choosing The Right Long Tube Headers
Chase, thanks, I have seen this before and will look at it again. Can you shed any light on the differences between the three brands of LT headers I mentioned? Thanks!
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #19
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWoj3540 View Post
Chase, thanks, I have seen this before and will look at it again. Can you shed any light on the differences between the three brands of LT headers I mentioned? Thanks!
All three use the same high quality material (304L stainless steel), have a very high degree of construction quality, and are made in the USA. If you look at them all side-by-side you will notice that they each route their primaries slightly differently and have some proprietary features. Where the rubber meets the road they all produce almost identical performance gains. There is some little bit of a variation in price.

Here is a quick crappy iPhone picture for you. I will do a more in depth post on the specific differences soon. The top one is Kooks, the middle is Stainless Works, and the bottom is ARH.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
I just received this photo from one of our customers that went with the black coated tip option.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #21
BplumCrazy-SS
 
BplumCrazy-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS RS- A6
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 557
here is mine with offroad pipes and a nasty cam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=DSGqdgjpMig
__________________
2012 SS ................ New build underway
BplumCrazy-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by BplumCrazy-SS View Post
here is mine with offroad pipes and a nasty cam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=DSGqdgjpMig
That sounds sick!
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #23
HaulnJ
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 GFX Heritage grill
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Anchorage, Ak.
Posts: 179
Best part of this system is that everything bolts on and matches up with out any hassles. SW really did their homework.
HaulnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #24
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulnJ View Post
Best part of this system is that everything bolts on and matches up with out any hassles. SW really did their homework.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #25
JWoj3540
 
JWoj3540's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
All three use the same high quality material (304L stainless steel), have a very high degree of construction quality, and are made in the USA. If you look at them all side-by-side you will notice that they each route their primaries slightly differently and have some proprietary features. Where the rubber meets the road they all produce almost identical performance gains. There is some little bit of a variation in price.

Here is a quick crappy iPhone picture for you. I will do a more in depth post on the specific differences soon. The top one is Kooks, the middle is Stainless Works, and the bottom is ARH.
Great stuff and the comparison pic is helpful. I'll keep an eye out for your post. Does Apex supply all three?
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
apex motorsports, long tube headers, retro chambered, stainless works

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.