Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
mc_acoustic

Drives: 2010 1LT Limited Edition Camaro A6
Difference between traction and stabilitrak?

I usually always turn all my nannies off...

But I never actually looked at what each of them do to my car.

Can anyone explain to me what just pressing the button (Traction) and then HOLDING the button (stabilitrak) does?

What is the difference between the two?
2010 Camaro Synergy Green Edition V6/A6: Cold Air Inductions Intake, Trifecta tune, BBK long tube headers and Hi flow cats, MRT V1, Ported Throttle Body, Stage 4 Ported Intake Manifold (MACE), Black Ice-olator Intake Manifold Spacer, Plenum Spacer, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous.
mc_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
ABMLS3

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm pretty sure stabilitrak lets you spin more and get more side ways, kinda like in between having traction control on or all the way off. I'm not positive though

Power Source Performance Turbo Kit

416 C.I ,TH400
Instagram: TomTraube
COTW ABMLS3 Build Thread
ABMLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
My understanding is traction control is just for maintaining traction when one or both back tires start spinning, traction control will apply brakes to try to slow down that wheel and if that does not work it starts cutting back power.
Stabilitrack uses both traction and yaw sensors to determine if your car is about to go out of control then it applies the brakes to the appropriate wheels trying to help bring it back into control. Turning traction control off will let you do burnouts, turning stability control and traction control off will let you drift the car as in sliding through a turn.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
mc_acoustic

Drives: 2010 1LT Limited Edition Camaro A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
My understanding is traction control is just for maintaining traction when one or both back tires start spinning, traction control will apply brakes to try to slow down that wheel and if that does not work it starts cutting back power.
Stabilitrack uses both traction and yaw sensors to determine if your car is about to go out of control then it applies the brakes to the appropriate wheels trying to help bring it back into control. Turning traction control off will let you do burnouts, turning stability control and traction control off will let you drift the car as in sliding through a turn.
This is a great explanation. Thank you!
2010 Camaro Synergy Green Edition V6/A6: Cold Air Inductions Intake, Trifecta tune, BBK long tube headers and Hi flow cats, MRT V1, Ported Throttle Body, Stage 4 Ported Intake Manifold (MACE), Black Ice-olator Intake Manifold Spacer, Plenum Spacer, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous.
mc_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
slomaro3.4

Drives: SS/RS L99 Crew
Wasn't there a member here who had is airbags go off after disabling all his nannies and drifting the car? I'm having trouble finding the thread.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomaro3.4 View Post
Wasn't there a member here who had is airbags go off after disabling all his nannies and drifting the car? I'm having trouble finding the thread.
Yeah I think that even happened at one of the press days. Extreme g forces encountered during quick transitions from one direction to another fooled the computer to thinking it was due to a side impact.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
lol this is funny because I have seen this so many times before, keep the stabillitrac on or if you go sideways especially from hydroplaning or loosing control and you get in a accident which it would have prevented at high speeds your insurance will not cover you!!!!! The same could be said for the traction control probably if they could detect on your computer or from inference at a crash scene you were not using the safety devices equipped on your car your screwed!!!!!!!! Your rates with any carrier would go up if they found out also. Yes I know people like to get the old school feeling of being able to have more tire spin but you will still have torque management built in to the ECU, and only able to program it out. If you had a ss you would go to stabillitrac competitive mode when you hit the t/c button twice ( on the manual ls3)which would be (launch control allowing you to rev high then go for it like a drag strip by putting it in first), hold the button in long enough to unengaged both systems allows you to be without either thus able to burn rubber easier if that's what you are looking for.......Ask yourself this.....

Ever go 180 degrees backwards in a old chevelle at high speed from hydroplaning on fat old 50's and end up bumping a curb backward on a five lane road in reverse trying to go forward.......the curb on the opposite side of the street from the direction you were traveling? I have doing about 60 mph........ thanks to ruts in the street...

Cars will loose it and you will go backwards or more if you can not control it no matter how hard you brake if you do not use the good tech they come with you are just asking for trouble and I always use mine...99 % of people do, and if you think your gaining so much more from the driving experience or power out of it ...........your not, what your gaining is the little thrill of occasionally loosing traction on one wheel while you spin it and loose rubber costing you money.
The safety systems are there to save you, if you looked online or saw a program showing how they try to roll cars at high speed 60-70mph and they don't you would be convinced to keep you stabillitrac on at all times. There is a time and place for everything .....And just everyday driving with the nannies off is dumb. Saving it for the track, or competitive driving is what the option is for, not to end someone up dead from a big ego problem as so many young people have. And yes too many young people on here think its ok to drive around with them off all the time, You just have never heard a post of a person saying hey I am dead thanks to my ego, or my insurance refused to cover my accident due to my stupidity and ego and only covered the other driver then dropped me and put a huge red flag on my name for other insurance companies............................. And I wonder if the ecu does have black box capability to say hey when you crashed this system was off when the air bags deployed and the yaw sensor was going wild from sliding sideways............

Good luck to you and drive safely, If I wanted to drive with out the nannies I would just have bought another old school chevy and built it to a hot rod as I did for decades and had a solid axle and lost less power to the ground.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
TSW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT Coup
Wow, I grew up in that era too and generally disagree with your speech.
I and the people who grew up without the nannies are generally far better drivers than those who have only ever known nannies !
Will nannies possibly save ME if I misjudge things based on my experience learning the vehicle limits over my lifetime? Quite possible, yet people still manage to wipe out and get killed in new vehicles even with all the nannies and air bags.

Drivers have generally speaking become much poorer drivers because of nannies and safety systems. Now rather than relying on learning the required skills to handle a car properly in various situations and conditions, people rely on the nannies to bail them out and when they don't its the manufacturers fault. Sad.
I wish I could buy a new car minus all the things trying to save me. and save big $ instead. When I get killed because of something stupid I did, the gene pool gets strengthened ! Knowing that makes me err on the side of caution.(if I have a brain)
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Brandywine5

Drives: 2013 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
Wow, I grew up in that era too and generally disagree with your speech.
I and the people who grew up without the nannies are generally far better drivers than those who have only ever known nannies !
Will nannies possibly save ME if I misjudge things based on my experience learning the vehicle limits over my lifetime? Quite possible, yet people still manage to wipe out and get killed in new vehicles even with all the nannies and air bags.

Drivers have generally speaking become much poorer drivers because of nannies and safety systems. Now rather than relying on learning the required skills to handle a car properly in various situations and conditions, people rely on the nannies to bail them out and when they don't its the manufacturers fault. Sad.
I wish I could buy a new car minus all the things trying to save me. and save big $ instead. When I get killed because of something stupid I did, the gene pool gets strengthened ! Knowing that makes me err on the side of caution.(if I have a brain)
That's how I feel.