Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
SNSSTR - My 2010 2SS/RS Build

What has been done:

Current Performance Mods:
New Era OTR Intake
TSP 1-7/8" Long Tube Headers
VMax Ported Throttle Body
DMH Electric Exhaust Cutouts
Comp Cam 227/243
Comp Trunion Upgrade
Tooley Valve Springs
TSP Underdrive Pulley
Barton Short Throw Shifter
GPI Dyno Tune
GPI Ported FAST LSXR 102MM Intake Manifold
Lloyd Elliott Ported Stock Heads
Monster LT1-SC Twin Disk Clutch
SJM Line Lock
Pfadt Lowering Springs
MSD 8.5MM Plug Wires

Current Cosmetic Mods:
Black Vinyl over Front and Rear Bowties
69' Camaro Fender Emblems
Painted Fusebox Lid
Painted Coil Brackets
Removed Engine Cover & Plenum Cover
Flipped Fuel Rail 180 Degrees
Tinted Windows
Tinted Sidemarkers/Taillights/Reverse Lights
SLP Style Front Splitter
2-Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges in Autometer A-Pillar
VMR V710 20x9 and 20x10 Wheels
2-LED Fog Lights
LED Map Light
Coil Relocate
LSX376 Valve Covers
RGB Grille Lighting

Future Performance Mods:
Nitrous Setup ~ 150 Shot
GM 3.91 Gears
DSS Aluminum Driveshaft
DSS 1000hp Axles

Future Cosmetic Mods:
ZL1 Side Skirts
ZL1 Rear Diffuser or ACS Rear Bumper Extensions
Unrestricted Motorsports SEMA Spoiler
Revolution Styling or MPD-1 Z-Force hood

MODS WAITING TO BE INSTALLED!
None!

How the car sits now:

See Sig Pic

On to the story:

To start from the beginning of this story, I was just about to be graduating from college and for the longest time, I told myself I would buy myself a motorcycle as my graduation present. I was able to work hard both in and out of school and made it through with no loans or debt of any kind. So it was time to treat myself. I've always wanted a cbr600 or an r6, maybe even just a old 80's bike to turn into a bobber. So that was the plan. Days before my graduation ceremony, my best friend's father was killed in a motorcycle accident. It wasn't his fault, he was in the right of way just riding straight down a road alongside another bike when an old couple pulled out to make a left turn in front of them. It was an honest mistake, the old gentleman driving likely didn't see them. Anyway, not to say I will never own or ride a motorcycle, but I decided that wasn't the best time. So I began looking for a truck - I'd never had a truck, only 4 door cars (90 Civic LX, 93 Camry, 2000 Sentra SE). I drove a newer F-150 King Ranch at the local Chevy dealership and was very impressed, I almost pulled the trigger on it. However while I was on the lot, I also drove a 2012 Camaro 1SS manual.

Let me side-track for a moment here, I have always always been a Mustang guy, and I really still am - just because I'm a car guy. My father had several mustangs back in his day, however his last performance car was a 80's formula firebird. I've heard stories about all of them!

So after driving that Camaro, I knew I wasn't getting a truck, the sports car had my heart. That same day, I drove a 2013 Mustang GT, also manual. While I loved the GT because it was a Mustang and because the shifting was better in my opinion, my girlfriend then (fiance' now), told me I should get the Camaro. I went and drove the Camaro ago and other than the shifter, I really did like the way the Camaro drove more. So I went inside to talk. The colors I was originally interested in were White and Silver. But I wanted a 2SS/RS and I wanted a manual which they did not have on the lot at the time. After several weeks, they located a Bone Stock 2010 Black 2SS/RS with a manual and only 7,500 miles! The price was right so I said GO AHEAD! They bought it from the dealer in North Carolina and had it there within a few days. Did all the paperwork and drove off the lot!

I've been in love ever since and couldn't imagine having bought the Mustang!

Here she is the day I brought her home.

I came to the forums regularly since I got the Camaro and always looked at mods and advice and all sorts of stuff. Like most here, I got the mod bug....much to the dismay of my checkbook!

The first things to go were those awful silver stripes. I want stripes at some point, actually I'm building a website for the local tint and graphics shop and he has agreed to do any graphic work to my car in exchange for the site. A good trade if you ask me.

Next, within the first month still, I installed my first performance mod! A Silver Cold Air Inductions Intake that I got from Maryland Speed. It woke the car up for sure, but it just wasn't enough!

Shortly after, my car was victim to a hit and run in a parking lot while I was inside the store. Here's a pic. Insurance covered the repair, but I was pretty upset because I had just purchased the car.

Before I took the car to the shop, I had to treat her to a little TLC. I bought her some 69' Camaro fender emblems. I thought it added a nice classy look to the car!

Got the damage repaired and they did a great job. It was about another month or so before I got brave and bought some Texas Speed 1-7/8" Headers and a VMax Ported Throttle Body from TampaTuning. I was surprised how crazy easy it was to install the headers. It took me and a buddy about 1-1/2 hours to put the car on ramps, pull the old manifolds and cats off and put in the new headers and connection pipes. Obviously the throttle body was super easy too.

So I enjoyed those mods for about a week, then I decided I got tired of the CEL and bought a SCT handheld tuner from Jannetty and got a remote tune for everything. The car ran GREAT!

Another month or so passes, probably June now and I decide to get some DMH Cutouts. Those took a little while to get to me but man once they were put in it was worth it! The car sounded loud when I wanted it to but quiet when I didn't.

I held out for a bit before doing anything major, took the car to the track a few times, went on a poker run, and enjoyed all the power!

Pics of the cruise:

So shortly after that I got the mod bug once more and got a cam. I wasn't confident in my abilities, so I took it to my friend who does alot of performance work and he installed the cam and the works along with an underdrive pulley. Had a few issues due to a crappy tune from someone who had a grudge because I didn't have him install the cam....Basically the cam only dropped my ET at the track from 12.8 to 12.5...Wasn't impressed to say the least.

I let it go for a while because I didn't have time to fix it but I posted here, got some advice, and ended up making the drive out to GPI in Arkansas to have Rhino tune my car. He did a fantastic job and pulled out over 20 hp and torque over the previous guy's tune.

Took it to the track shortly after and pulled out a 12.21. I was much happier.

So that's my story.

More recently, I have added black vinyl to the front and rear bowties, the bowties on the wheels, painted some underhood stuff, relocated the evap solenoid under the fusebox and installed a Barton short throw shifter. I had an issue with the bumper where the nose flipped up and cracked in the corners by the headlights, had that replaced under warranty after fighting with chevrolet for a month and a half.

Here's some pics of that stuff:

So now we come to today. I bought some new wheels last week, some Hyper Silver VMR V710's, got some Michelin Pilot Super Sport rear tires and some GMax AS-03's for the front, some Pfadt Springs, Aeroforce Gauges and an A-Pillar Pod, and some LED's for the headlights and interior dome light.

I was really excited about all this stuff, but for some reason, two days ago, I ran into my first mechanical issue.

Not sure what it is yet. The car started, ran fine for several minutes, then died. Now it will not start up again although the starter will crank just fine. I had to have the car towed to the dealership and it has been there waiting for a diagnostic on both an oil leak on the rear of the engine and for this new no-start issue. I hope to have an answer today on what the issue is.

So anyway, that's my story, I know I've left some stuff out, like tinting the taillights, side markers, and reverse lights, or tinting the windows, naming the car Sinister (SNSSTR) (fiance' tried to name her "Sassy" because she says that the car has a "Sassy Ass"...while I agree that her butt does look good (the car) I didn't like that name so I made her mine) and having the custom plate made, but all that is pretty trivial. As new things develop and I install all these new goodies, I will keep you all updated!

Thanks for reading my long a$$ post!

2010 Black SS/RS M6 | 514hp | 470tq | GPI/Rhino Tune |Build Thread

Last edited by SNSSTR; 05-06-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Update
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Well, I figure it's time to update this.

Got my car back finally, and everything is running smoothly. I've done a lot of stuff lately, like install line lock, a switch link box, pfadt lowering springs, the new wheels, front splitter.

And the other night, I just finished my coil relocate so I can install these bad boys:

Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Drives: 1968 Camaro & 2010 Camaro 2SS
Love the look as she sits on the cruise....Looks mean!....

Congrats and welcome...

Kurt ABL99...
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Very Nice SS. ! !

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Thank you!

Here are a few more pics just because.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Installed a coil relocate, new plug wires, plug wire boots, and new valve covers!

I was surprised by the difference in resistance between these MSD 8.5mm wires and the stock wires. I forget the actual numbers, but it was a huge difference. MSD's were much better.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Went to the Super Chevy show at my local track this past Sunday. I put my car in the show, didn't really expect to win anything, as all I've really done is performance mods.

I didn't win anything, but had fun, the guys that did win all had lambo doors, reverse tilt hoods, TV's, sound systems, etc... Kind of disappointing to me that its all come down to DUB style cars winning, but hey it is what it is and people were still checking my car out just as much as theirs!

Pics:

Old 05-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Had a great time at Camaro Fest this year, I was racing a lot of the time, so I didn't get a chance for a lot of pictures, but I got a few videos and pics!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

A pic from on the way to Camaro Fest and my new stripes!

Old 05-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
silverGXPbullet

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP
How do you like your monster LT1-SC?
silverGXPbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Well it does grip pretty hard, it holds the power very very well, and the pedal pressure is pretty close to stock.

As for negatives, it isn't the clutch I'd want to drive around on a daily basis (even though I do). It has some chatter and you have to rev the engine up a bit coming off a start to get around that. No way to get around it if you are coming off a stop on a hill. It also has a very small engagement window which can make it tough to drive and tough to slip predictably.

I think an adjustable master cylinder would fix the small engagement window issue, but since nobody makes those for the new Camaros, that's another issue.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #12
silverGXPbullet

So are all the drivability issues you are talking about just for 1st gear? Or is it a pain to drive in all the gears?

Did you try removing the clutch return spring? If so, did it help at all?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #13
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Yeah just starting the car up from a stop in 1st gear gives a little chatter. Other than that the clutch is good, you just have to be good with the clutch to make sure you don't let it out too quickly...otherwise it grabs hard haha

I did remove the clutch return spring and that helped the engagement window issue a bit, but it still has a small window.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
silverGXPbullet

Would you have gotten the LT1-S looking back now?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

I'm honestly not sure. This is the first time I have ever had an aftermarket clutch installed in a car. So I really don't have anything to compare it to.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #16
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

I just installed some Torque Solutions engine mounts over the weekend and they seem to have gotten rid of the clutch chatter/shudder for the most part. It also helped throttle response and I love being able to feel the feedback of starting the car, letting it idle, and the extra shake. I will say that I was very impressed. The engine does not move even when revving it up. It is in there solid!

Soon I will be getting a driveshaft and hopefully that will fix some of the smaller vibrations, as I'm fairly certain the stock driveshaft is causing them now.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #17
silverGXPbullet

So you think that the clutch was gripping so agressively that it was causing the entire drive line and subsequently the engine itself to shake or shudder as you say, causing vibration?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #18
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverGXPbullet View Post
So you think that the clutch was gripping so agressively that it was causing the entire drive line and subsequently the engine itself to shake or shudder as you say, causing vibration?
Yes, I think that's all it was. Now that everything is tight, there's no more shudder...And I'm happy!

Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #19
silverGXPbullet

So no more chatter or shuddering out of 1st or do you still get some of that?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:42 AM   #20
bryand

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Great write up op. Beautiful car and sweet engine bay. What dis you use to relocate the coils?
bryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #21
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Quote:
So no more chatter or shuddering out of 1st or do you still get some of that?
Yep, all is good now! Hill starts don't even shudder anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryand View Post
Great write up op. Beautiful car and sweet engine bay. What dis you use to relocate the coils?
Thank you! I built my own MSD plug wires to length and used a coil extension harness and relocation bracket from ebay. Without the cost of the valve covers, the project cost about $150

Old 05-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #22
silverGXPbullet

Thats great to hear! I just drove my LT1-SC for the first time today and the chatter is virtually unavoidable. Hopefully it starts to go away as I start to break the clutch in a little more. There are no aftermarket motor mounts for the G8 which is disappointing to say the least.

Im going to try and take the clutch assist spring out as well. Did you just take a screwdriver and pry one of the sides out and wiggle it out of place after that?
Old 05-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #23
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Quote:
Thats great to hear! I just drove my LT1-SC for the first time today and the chatter is virtually unavoidable. Hopefully it starts to go away as I start to break the clutch in a little more. There are no aftermarket motor mounts for the G8 which is disappointing to say the least.

Im going to try and take the clutch assist spring out as well. Did you just take a screwdriver and pry one of the sides out and wiggle it out of place after that?
That's great! The chatter can be unavoidable at first, but just go drive in some stop & go rush hour traffic for a little while and that will help with drivability. The clutch does have to be broken in. Once it is, it will work much better.

That sucks on the motor mounts, but yes, for the clutch assist spring, just pry on it a little bit until it pops off....and wear some safety glasses! Removing it helps a lot.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #24
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

She made Car of the Month for June over on ModBargains.com!

http://blog.modbargains.com/june-car...-beast-camaro/

Old 07-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #25
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Installed a strut tower brace the other day!