Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
So the "it happened to me" happened to me on Sunday.

It was a freezing afternoon in Texas when all of a sudden there's a crash! To my dismay upon rushing out doors to investigate the ruckus, there lie a shattered branch next to my Camaro.

That's about as far as I can get with a story telling type of post so...the rest goes as follows:

A tree branch broke off during the ice thunderstorm we had and basically has caused a minimum of $5,000 in damages because it tore through the trunk lid, broke the spoiler, damaged both rear quarter panels and also damaged the roof. Of course my stripes have to be painted on, so that's additional labor according to the GMC body shop which I elected to take my car to.

Fortunately for me, I do have very good insurance and they didn't ask any questions when I filed the claim right after the incident. They set me up for a rental to use up to 60 days and even told me to drop it off wherever I wanted and they would handle everything between the body shop and them and I only have to pay a $100 deductible which is good.

The only bad thing about this is that now I'm going to be left with a car worth less due to it having previous damage history especially one where they have to cut and weld on the body. Hopefully it didn't hurt the value of my Camaro too much and I may elect to trade it in for a 1LE, even though I like to drag race...maybe I can start going to other kinds of tracks.

Sorry for the horrible pictures, the snow hides the hole the branch left and I didn't get a chance to take too good of pictures of the roof due to the color of the car and the lighting that was available.

Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
That sucks man! Hope your insurance company gets you squared away.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Man that was bad luck. One reason I cut down all the trees near my house. I had one come down a few years ago and tore down my fence and hit the house next door. It barely missed my son's Camaro.
I hope it gets fixed well and quickly. If you are going to sell or trade it, do it soon after you get it back before the repair hits Carfax. If you don't then keep it for several more years. The farther you get from the repair date the less it will affect the value.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Dfault

Well, the body shop mentioned maybe having the car back to me on Friday. Which I don't see how, unless they've already started hacking away at the damages and what not.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Hate that it happened to you. Good luck. I hope it comes back better than new.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Sooooooooooooooo sorry to hear/see this. Hope it is fixed up good as new ASAP & with as little additional hassle as possible.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
Blue Thunder

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 1SS/RS
I see the shop repairing allot of that damage. I see nothing that would necessitate replacing of welded on parts like quarter panels. Fast repair. And not 5k either.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Stainless Power 1-7/8 headers, HF cats
Magnaflow 3" tru-x cat back exhaust
NicKey Dyno tune
Bo White ported throttle body
Elite Engineering Catch Can
CAI air intake
GM Strut Brace Bar
JL Audio 12w3 sub, JX1000/1d amp
CFD Carbon Fiber pistol grip TapShift shifter
EGX rear window louvers
4500k HID head and fog lights

Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Since it wasn't really a motor vehicle accident, I'm not sure how it will show up on a carfax... it might not show up at all?? It might just say bodywork repairs or something done at dealership. if you explain what happened with photos and repairs are done right, I wouldn't be scared away to buy your car.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
The first branch of the day that fell...

This is half the tree that fell over our driveway. It doesn't look that big from the pic, but it's huge. It extends back more too. So glad I wasn't home when that fell.

And there were several more large branches that fell but I couldn't get a picture of since it was too dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Well these things happen, luckily you're smart and have insurance Don't think this will cause your car to be "worthless" as you put it on trade-in or selling, unless the repairs are done by a monkey you shouldn't take a big hit. No frame damage or anything huge that wouldn't be worth explaining.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
Dfault

Old 03-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
I wouldn't get rid of it JUST because of the damage. I also believe, I could be wrong, that carfax is only for motor vehicle accidents.

After I had this happen...

...I was so ready to trade it in it wasn't even funny. I drove it like that for a few months before I had the opportunity to get to the body shop. That one door ding from some piece of crap cost $1,200 to fix. After it did get fixed I fell in love with my car all over again.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
Since it wasn't really a motor vehicle accident, I'm not sure how it will show up on a carfax... it might not show up at all?? It might just say bodywork repairs or something done at dealership. if you explain what happened with photos and repairs are done right, I wouldn't be scared away to buy your car.
Yes anything done to repair body damage can be on Carfax. Especially if an insurance claim is filed. They get their information from multiple sources. Accident reports, insurance claims and even many body shops report damage repairs, especially dealer owned ones. I has the back window and tailgate damaged on my HHR because someone who will remain nameless backed it into a pole with a sign on it. It was turned into my insurance and did show up on Carfax, even without a police report.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 03-05-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
It is fixable don't freak out just need a great body shop and you wont even know. My last toy car got rear-ended with under a thousand miles on it I was bummed out that I had to waste my time dealing with it. I traded it in and it didn't make a difference. I was amazed my last 2 daily drivers logged 250,000 miles and not a scratch on them, that thing didn't make 3 months 700 miles.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote