Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
ss/rs/378

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro Victory Red
Street Launch

I know this has probably been covered some where but can you weigh in on advice for which mode is best to be in on the street when traction is a issue when you want to hook up and launch your ZL or should you just use the launch control I know taking the traction control off doesn't work!
2.55 UPPER PULLEY,100MM IDLER PULLEY,160 STAT,PORTED TB,PORTED SNOUT,MSD PLUG WIRES,NKG PLUGS,KENNE BELL EXTERNAL FUEL PUMP,2"KOOKS HEADERS,HIGH FLOW CATS,3"CORSA 60LB DEKA INJECTORS TUNED BY FROST 580RWHP,571RWTQ.
ss/rs/378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
kidreno_21

Drives: Zr2 Blazer, 2013 ZL1 Black on black
What do you mean when you say, "when traction is an issue"? Are you referring to a street race? Are you referring to loosing traction during a hard acceleration from a standstill? Do you mean that it is cold outside or the road is wet and your tires are slipping due to lack of traction?

Please specify.

You may simply need to get more seat time in with your car. Experiment with the different settings, try different things, and if you have the ability, use different set ups, i.e. different tires, suspension modifications, heating your tires up, and so on.

Until then, take it easy and stay out of trouble. It may be fun to play with and pick on other cars, but in the end it is not worth the risk. See if there is a road course track near you and check with them for track days. There, you will be able to stretch your ZL1's legs and use the car for its intended purpose, legally.
kidreno_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Nickmo

Drives: 2012 ZL1 CTF#69
Depends totally on road temp. PTM 3 and launch control seems to work great for me. The roads here are pretty cool, mid 20s celsius is a warm day (80's in 'Merican). Track mode slips way too much even on our warmest days. Anything under 15C and its "wet" mode...
Nickmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
ss/rs/378

Had the car out last night was in the mid 50s just had traction control on was just in touring mode jumped on it a little bit don't really street race just kind of surprised me how quick it got lose but after that I checked my tire pressure and they where 37psi to 38psi so I lowered the rears to 32psi and I did just went from stock hp to a stage1 kit from Dream Makers Exotics and picked up another 80hp just was wondering what most guys do with there pti setting when they are going to experiment on the street?
2.55 UPPER PULLEY,100MM IDLER PULLEY,160 STAT,PORTED TB,PORTED SNOUT,MSD PLUG WIRES,NKG PLUGS,KENNE BELL EXTERNAL FUEL PUMP,2"KOOKS HEADERS,HIGH FLOW CATS,3"CORSA 60LB DEKA INJECTORS TUNED BY FROST 580RWHP,571RWTQ.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
kidreno_21

Drives: Zr2 Blazer, 2013 ZL1 Black on black
Dude. Grammar. Punctuation. I have no idea what you are asking, but I may understand your issue.

What you are experiencing is normal. Traction control, even with the ZL1, is not the all around answer. You, and everyone with this amount of power, looses traction upon heavy acceleration during cool temperatures.

Personally, I only drive with the Eagle F1-G2 tires from May until the last track weekend of the season. During the winter months, I store my Eagle F1-G2 tires and mount my Sotozero's. I have 30,000 miles on my 2013 ZL1, with the majority of those miles on the Sotozero's. During heavy acceleration in cool temps I do loose traction, but not as much as I do with the Eagle F1-G2 tires. I drive with confidence knowing that these tires will hold.

I recommend that if you are going to drive in cooler temperatures, and if you want to have more traction, pick up a set of the Sotozero's. They are pricy, but rotating winter tires in with summer tires will help to extend the life of your Eagle F1-G2 tires.

Would you rather spend some more money on good winter tires or risk loosing traction because it got cold one night? Add to that, winter tires have better 'cold' braking abilities, which can help you from rear ending some jackass who decides to stop short at a traffic light...

Best of luck with your decision.
kidreno_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
ss/rs/378

Dude didn't know I was in a English class was late and didn't really worry about my grammar or punctuation, Just wanted advice from some of the more experienced ZL1 owners seeing how I have only been in mine since last October, But there always seems to be a person like you on these threads so if you look at everyone's English on here it must drive you crazy just saying! Oh and thank you for your advice that's all I needed in the first place.

Last edited by ss/rs/378; 04-24-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
trainjeff24

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2015 STI, 2013 ZL1
Seat time bro, I keep it in PTM 3 for around town. I don't use launch control, bc I don't want to attract attention with WOT. Temperature makes a HUGE difference with the stock F1s. So get out there and smoke some Stangs!

Say grammar police! Suck it! This is a car forum not English 101.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
ss/rs/378

Hey thanks for the advice trainjeff24 I am old school if you couldn't tell by my avatar put me in a 67 camaro and I can make it hook all day long the ZL1 is a different monster all together so thanks for the advice and support!