Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Dalefj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2ss
Road & Track Z/28 article

In the most recent edition of Road & Track there is an article which compares the Z/28 to the Viper TA, Aston V-12 Vantage and Nissan GTR. Given the greater prices of all the competitors I was not all that upset when I discovered that the Z/28 was not the fastest...

Track times:
Viper 1:23.4
Camaro Z/28 1.26.1
Nissan GT-R 1.26.4
Aston Martin V12 Vantage S 1:26.6

What did really upset me though was that out of all the cars listed above, the Z/28 was the weakest in the heat. The authors reported that the oil temperature was way up after a short time (three laps I believe).

This really upset me. We see all these posts and advertisements about the track readiness of the ZL1 and the Z/28 yet the most hardcore track car out of the above testing group is the first to overheat? Yes the testing was in the desert so it was hot but the bottom line is that the Camaro folded much quicker than any of the competition and that makes me sad.

Thoughts anyone?
Dalefj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
There's quite a bit of discussion on that article located HERE
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalefj View Post
Thoughts anyone?
*sigh*

The car was not prepped correctly by the press hacks and it does just fine in the heat based on the experiences of those of us who have prepared our cars and tracked them.

The car is freaking awesome.

Let's move on shall we?

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
*sigh*

The car was not prepped correctly by the press hacks and it does just fine in the heat based on the experiences of those of us who have prepared our cars and tracked them.

Let's move on shall we?
I dunno. I did see you sneakily taking a cool-down session through the parking lots around Thunderhill. Wait -- it was 106 degrees that day. Guess that's OK; never mind!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
*sigh*

Let's move on shall we?
I just still find it funny that when the journalists didn't prep the GT500 to what the owners manual says, no body bats an eye at that around here, but when they don't do something right on the Z/28 it gets brought up every single time.

Either way the awesome part is, that there is a Camaro that is competing with cars that a year or two ago was competition for the top Corvette
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
If I were Chevy or Ford, I would never hand journalists a car w/o doing the proper track setup. Part of the blame for this lies with Chevy. Those journalists/drivers are never going to read the owners manual.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalefj View Post
In the most recent edition of Road & Track there is an article which compares the Z/28 to the Viper TA, Aston V-12 Vantage and Nissan GTR. Given the greater prices of all the competitors I was not all that upset when I discovered that the Z/28 was not the fastest...

Track times:
Viper 1:23.4
Camaro Z/28 1.26.1
Nissan GT-R 1.26.4
Aston Martin V12 Vantage S 1:26.6

What did really upset me though was that out of all the cars listed above, the Z/28 was the weakest in the heat. The authors reported that the oil temperature was way up after a short time (three laps I believe).

This really upset me. We see all these posts and advertisements about the track readiness of the ZL1 and the Z/28 yet the most hardcore track car out of the above testing group is the first to overheat? Yes the testing was in the desert so it was hot but the bottom line is that the Camaro folded much quicker than any of the competition and that makes me sad.

Thoughts anyone?
Where did you read it overheated?

Oh, was it the "oil temp above 300°F, and I don't like it" blurb by the guy who thought a Boss 302 LS cost $37k? How hot were the other cars, and what was the measured DA? (I overheated coasting downhill in a late model vehicle in Vail, CO. The DA was over 13,000' though. Air too thin to cool things.)

Or did it actually in fact overheat (reduced engine power, CEL)?
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote