Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
mrshanes

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Jack stands - one side at a time?

I hope I don't get beat to death over this topic as I seen it's been discussed a lot, but I can't find this particular question answered. I realize the ZL1 has the belly pan so you can't get to the center support to jack the entire front of the car at once. I just completed the break-in period, so I'm going to be changing all the fluids and hit the track this fall. I need to get the car up on jack stands to have enough room to comfortably do everything. I assume since the belly pan is in the way, I need to put jack stands under the front, one side at a time. Won't it put a lateral force on the first jack stand when I move to the other side to jack it up? I'm thinking that might cause it to shift and slide off the first jack stand. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Shane
mrshanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
Jack from the center and put stands under both sides before lowering.

(borrowed from GIS result)
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
white ZL1

Drives: none
Where did that pic come from? Doesn't look right at all.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
mrshanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
Jack from the center and put stands under both sides before lowering.
The belly pan covers the only center support strong enough to lift the entire front. That's the problem here. Otherwise, this is a non-issue.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I just bought a two post lift. seemed like the most economical way to deal with the belly pan issue.

the quickest easies solution to this car IMO is s second cheap floor jack from harbor frieght. lift one side enought to pull the belly pan and then jack from the center. I already had a few floor jacks so that is how I did before the two post lift.

there are low profile ramps and such but they cost more than a cheap floor jack.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
mrshanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I just bought a two post lift. seemed like the most economical way to deal with the belly pan issue.
Man, I'd love to do that. I have issues with concrete floor thickness though. I'm looking into freestanding 4 post lifts, but that still leaves the issue of taking the wheels off. Still better than jack stands I guess.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshanes View Post
Man, I'd love to do that. I have issues with concrete floor thickness though. I'm looking into freestanding 4 post lifts, but that still leaves the issue of taking the wheels off. Still better than jack stands I guess.

I would just do a cheap harbor frieght or used second floor jack until you get that all figures out.

what is you pad thickness? one quick and dirty solution is just just pour supports for the lift. saw out a sectio of the floor and put in support.

I got luck and they had some sloppy excavating toward the back of my shop so the pad is like 6"+ back there where it is more of the minumin 4" up in the front bay. that is where sloppy work pays off ha ha.

I don't miss the two jack rodeo one bit.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I use jack pads from ZL1addons with two floor jacks to raise the car evenly from the rocker lift points. Then put that stands inward as shown. It's a little time consuming because you have to raise the front and rear in stages but gets it done

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
mrshanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
what is you pad thickness? one quick and dirty solution is just just pour supports for the lift. saw out a sectio of the floor and put in support.
I can't do that. My parking area is actually an elevated concrete deck on composite decking (my garage has a basement). The pour is only 4 inches thick and with the ripples in the decking some parts are only 2.5 inches thick. It's safe and certified. They do a lot of it around here. Just not thick enough for those two post lift anchors.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
mrshanes

I guess it looks like two jacks is the solution until I decide on a lift. What a hassle.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Seems odd to me that GM didn't allow for some room underneath in the front to be able to jack the car up from the middle so we can put jack stands under it.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Seems odd to me that GM didn't allow for some room underneath in the front to be able to jack the car up from the middle so we can put jack stands under it.
Belly pan is covering the structure so you must go frm the sides

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #13
Rube

Drives: 2013 summit white ZL-1
once you know where the center support is under the belly pan...who says you cant jack from there?
Rube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #14
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by white ZL1 View Post
Where did that pic come from? Doesn't look right at all.
It probably isn't, as I swiped from a GIS as I noted. Point being, there is a central jacking point, front and back, and every car. Or at least, every car I've ever owned. I can't imagine the Camaro is special in this regard.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote