Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 11-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Anybody else have issues with power steering pump?

My brother and myself both ran our first autocross today and both cars had some terrible power steering pump whine after the first couple runs and it gradually got worse.

Both cars are 2010 SS, do these cars needs a power steering fluid cooler? This seems like it will kill my pump in very short order. Kinda disappointing chevy can't cool the power steering fluid.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
ba2ss

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
buddy of mine had to replace the pump on his 2010 ss at 15k miles. His wife drove to work and when she went to leave power no steering...when he got it home had lost all fluid and ended up replacing the pump.
ba2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba2ss View Post
buddy of mine had to replace the pump on his 2010 ss at 15k miles. His wife drove to work and when she went to leave power no steering...when he got it home had lost all fluid and ended up replacing the pump.
Not really relevant here, but thanks.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 11-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Moonchopper

Drives: 2010 RJT Camaro SS/RS LS3
I have 66k miles on my Camaro and haven't had any issues with power steering, so it sounds like that was a one off, ba2ss - unless, of course, she's a professional autocrosser and that's what you mean by she 'drove to work' :P

My Camaro exhibited same symptoms at first auto cross - coincidentally, at 66k miles. I chalked it up to just having a square set up (275's on the front), but since Destructo had some issues, I thought there might be something to it - We're both wondering if this is an issue.
Borla S-Type exhaust
Elite Engineering catch can
Hurst short-throw shifter
BC Racing Type BR Coilovers

Dyno tuned @ 423 RWHP
Moonchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
Lombardi

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 1LT
don't think our power steering pumps are that tough. did some hard driving and donuts today for a video and now mine is shot.

- "Lifes to short to drive a boring car"
Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombardi View Post
don't think our power steering pumps are that tough. did some hard driving and donuts today for a video and now mine is shot.

Define shot. Just making noise for the day or you literally had to replace it? Any extra cooling?

It looks like some extra cooling in the system will go a long way. I can't believe my Camaro Has no power steering cooling yet my Hyundai Santa Fe did.

I need some real answers here folks, like people that actually used their car for autocross and really worked the system, doughnuts don't count. Nobody uses their car for doughnuts unless you happen to wear a mullet.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 11-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
Lombardi

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
Define shot. Just making noise for the day or you literally had to replace it? Any extra cooling?

It looks like some extra cooling in the system will go a long way. I can't believe my Camaro Has no power steering cooling yet my Hyundai Santa Fe did.

I need some real answers here folks, like people that actually used their car for autocross and really worked the system, doughnuts don't count. Nobody uses their car for doughnuts unless you happen to wear a mullet.
literally shot probably. got a nice whine noise now.

and fyi it wasn't just donuts. that's just when it finally went. I'm sure my car got more of a work out today then any autocross

Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:58 AM   #8
Synner

Drives: cars
I've boiled my fluid twice even with good synthetic fluid.

And we do have coolers integrated into the bottom of the a/c unit, it'd just undersized once you go with sticky tires and a long session. A couple people have had issues on autocross tracks with long sweepers integrated into the course but not a lot as not too many tracks have that.

The high rpm with wheel cranked pump death is due to no shaft bearing and high load. You can get a Turn One or Lingenfelter pump that has a bearing but Turn One offers a lower ratio for less heat buildup as well. Either option is pricey.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
I've boiled my fluid twice even with good synthetic fluid.

And we do have coolers integrated into the bottom of the a/c unit, it'd just undersized once you go with sticky tires and a long session. A couple people have had issues on autocross tracks with long sweepers integrated into the course but not a lot as not too many tracks have that.

The high rpm with wheel cranked pump death is due to no shaft bearing and high load. You can get a Turn One or Lingenfelter pump that has a bearing but Turn One offers a lower ratio for less heat buildup as well. Either option is pricey.
This course did have a sweeper at the end about the whole width of a smallish run way. Actually here's the video of my last two runs if you guys wanna see.

I'm just running 245 Invos in the front so nothing crazy sticky or anything like that. I register for CAM which requires a 200+ Treadwear. Running Novice though for now since i'm a noob lol.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 11-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Power Steering fluid breaks down just like any other fluid. More so in cars that are tracked or driven "spiritedly".
I change out the fluid in all of my cars every 25K miles.
I would recommend you do so immediatley and consider changing the fluid every 3-4 months if you are going to compete on a regular basis.
At the least, its a bit of peace of mind until you can install an in-line cooler.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #11
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiersd View Post
Power Steering fluid breaks down just like any other fluid. More so in cars that are tracked or driven "spiritedly".
I change out the fluid in all of my cars every 25K miles.
I would recommend you do so immediatley and consider changing the fluid every 3-4 months if you are going to compete on a regular basis.
At the least, its a bit of peace of mind until you can install an in-line cooler.
I'm sure it's never been changed, I guess that's one of the fluids that normally goes neglected when most people don't think about it. I'll probably be swapping the fluid and will certainly be installing an inline cooler.

The pump seemed mostly quiet today on the way to work and I likely won't be competing again until next spring unless our club comes up with another event close by.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 11-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
I'm sure it's never been changed, I guess that's one of the fluids that normally goes neglected when most people don't think about it. I'll probably be swapping the fluid and will certainly be installing an inline cooler.

The pump seemed mostly quiet today on the way to work and I likely won't be competing again until next spring unless our club comes up with another event close by.

Tends to happen. We get caught up in changing engine oil, trans fluid upgrading brake fluid.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #13
Destructo09

Yep, i'm running Royal Purple in the trans, and Diff.

Considering it was a cold day like as in sub 50* F and my fluid was obviously hot, I think i'm going to do the Derale 18" heatsink and see how that goes. Given the weather being cool it certainly worries me that the power steering had noticeable issues after 2 or 3 of my 7 runs. I feel like if I don't do something i'll be replacing the pump soon enough, or seals in the rack. Kinda makes me wish I had electric power steering, lol.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 07-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #14
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Driven also offers a power steering fluid. I just switched to it from Redline. Driven PSF it's called.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote