Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
A common criticism I read about the 5th Gen Camaro, compaired to it's rivals is...

style over function. That it looks killer, but you end up with a car that has the visibility of a tank, and that looks bigger on the outside than on the inside. That you compromise back seat space, trunk access, rear visibility, visibility of traffic lights, visibility of pedestrians blocked by the a-pillar, visibility of small children behind you (heck, even tall children)...all for the sake of style.

And I'm like, "**** yeah!"

That's part of why I love it.

The 5th Gen Camaro has killer looks, and I notice she draws attention almost daily. I'd probably notice more people checking her out if I had better visibility.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
gofastwclass
Three pedals

Drives: lots of fuel injected V8 Chevys
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
style over function. That it looks killer, but you end up with a car that has the visibility of a tank, and that looks bigger on the outside than on the inside. That you compromise back seat space, trunk access, rear visibility, visibility of traffic lights, visibility of pedestrians blocked by the a-pillar, visibility of small children behind you (heck, even tall children)...all for the sake of style.
Anyone who has ever owned a fourth gen F-Body or C6 Corvette will hardly mention those "issues" as outside the norm for the type of car it is.

I have a WS6 and a fifth gen and I feel the fifth gen walks all over my WS6 in every measure.
gofastwclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
When I got my SS I dropped my seats to the floor, and that helped my visibility by a country mile.

I see out of it just fine, I'm around 6 feet tall or a little taller.
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
Anyone who has ever owned a fourth gen F-Body or C6 Corvette will hardly mention those "issues" as outside the norm for the type of car it is.

I have a WS6 and a fifth gen and I feel the fifth gen walks all over my WS6 in every measure.
I agree. I find the 5th Gen far less closterphobic, with a better seating position, than the 4th Gens (my least favorite ergonomically). It feels, IMO, somewhere between the seating positions of the 2nd & 3rd gen.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Haters are gonna hate, he'll with 'em!
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
JKooL

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
When I got my SS I dropped my seats to the floor, and that helped my visibility by a country mile.

I see out of it just fine, I'm around 6 feet tall or a little taller.
Do you mean you just lowered the seat as far as it will go on standard OEM equipment? Or do you mean you took the seats out and removed the "base" or "frame" of the seat?

I ask b/c I am about 6-6'1 and I would definitely appreciate more visibility.
JKooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
talk about visibility, try a convertible. Terrible with top up, great with top down.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
The 5th Gen Camaro has killer looks, and I notice she draws attention almost daily. I'd probably notice more people checking her out if I had better visibility.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
For those of us who have driven actual tanks, the Camaro's visibility is similar only in that it's just something that you learn to work with... as with a tank.

I personally like the gun- port/ slits for windows... if we wanted tall, proud windows, we'd be proudly driving minivans. In order to be low and in charge, we must sacrifice a little visibility. Big deal... lean forward a little every now and then, maybe even--- gasp--- turn your head on that swivel thing they call a 'neck,' and visibility issues ain't nuttin' but a thang.

And anybody who thinks that Camaro sacrificed function for style is clearly a crack- smoking blue oval junkie buttmunching Ford fanthing that WISHES it to be. Camaro has got both form AND function.

Sure, I'm preaching to the choir here... but sisters and brothers, the gospel needs to be SPOKEN!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
talk about visibility, try a convertible. Terrible with top up, great with top down.
This on all levels lol. Anyone who say any of this crap I will just say "and you're point being?" I bought the car for my reasons not someone else's. There are some visibilities issues but if you move around a bit and turn that head I think you can see just fine.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
NJScorpio

I'm wanting a convertible just so it's easier for people to get in and out of the back seat.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
mdolandese

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Victory Red Vert
That's xactly why I love this car. I like the way I see out of it or I wouldn't of bought it. Doesn't bother me a bit
mdolandese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
I really don't care what anyone says. I love this car. It's like having a street legal race car. That's what attracted me to it.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #14
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Meh, let the people who criticise these cars continue to do so. I stopped caring about peoples' opinion years ago.
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote