Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
OMG!!

Its a sunny 28* in Indy this morning....and I'm driving to the local starbucks. ( yes the garage queen makes it out on sunny days). So, the strangest thing happens. My P-Zeros are not spinning.....not losing tractions in corners.. .I'm not spinning out and hitting light poles. What could be wrong here, folks? Am I doing something wrong?

Or, work with me here people......could I have simply adjusted my driving habits for the weather? Hmmmmm.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
SSmokinSS
Get Some

Drives: 2014 ZL1 6Speed
Park the car immediately! It will self destruct in 30 seconds.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Put that car back in the garage now!! There is a guy at Starbucks waiting to open his door against it...... I do the same if its nice and the roads are dry out she comes summer tires and all.

Once the tires warm up a little I find them just fine. Enjoy the coffee and for God's sakes be careful with that thing!!

Cam
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
1SSFever

Drives: 2012 1SS
OMG, do your tires know it's not summer? The manual says they are "summer only" tires.

Oh well I guess, don't turn the nannies off or you will surely wreck and die.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
You made me randomly think about the fact I've never seen a Camaro with a snowplow on the front of it. Huh. Wonder if it's been done.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Don't panic! Just stomp on the gas and the P-Zeros will perform as expected in cold weather. Then you can start an "Is It Totaled" thread.

Just kidding, of course. Glad to hear from a responsible operator.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
could I have simply adjusted my driving habits for the weather? Hmmmmm.
That's CRAZY! Why would you do that!
Old 12-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
Oh yeah well I drove mine to work today put the hammer down on the way home (for a short distance) and didn't lose it either.....of coarse its it sunny and 72 degrees here in florida
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BRM2SSRS View Post
Oh yeah well I drove mine to work today put the hammer down on the way home (for a short distance) and didn't lose it either.....of coarse its it sunny and 72 degrees here in florida
So Jealous... I have 55 degrees and rain. I have not seen the sun in forever. I think South Carolina is getting London's weather.
Coop1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop1701 View Post
So Jealous... I have 55 degrees and rain. I have not seen the sun in forever. I think South Carolina is getting London's weather.
About the same up here in NC too, terrible weather.

Mine is my DD and I run summer tires all year around. We don't get enough snow or super cold days to justify running all seasons that won't hold up on HPDE days. I'm just aware I might have less traction while the tires are cold and adjust my driving. On my commute anyway it's not like i'm blasting around.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I remember driving on Bias ply tires back in the 60's and 70's. The rubber was so hard that the tires would have major flat spots on them until they warmed up. Guess how much traction you had until they did. We just adjusted and drove appropriately. OP, you have reiterated that it can be done.
It may snow here today, so won't be driving the Camaro. Oh well. At least it is warm in Florida.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
wild weather swings back to record highs in the 80's. that from a week of low 40's. ( BRRRRR ) now I have a few mosquito bites. surely they should all be dead in late december...oh, wait. what was the topic? tires??
here's something you don't hear everyday " I love these goodyears "

WASH DAY TODAY ! not laundry, the car.
Attached Images

snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
... WASH DAY TODAY ! not laundry, the car.
I'm a serial car washer. Been tough lately, as the cold weather gets in the way. I don't mind the comfort issues, but IF you can defrost the 50- foot long cylinder of ice that occupies the hose, when you DO get the water onto the car, it immediately freezes into a sheet that will not come off... I'm not willing to use a hammer or an ice pick there.

On Saturday, I tried... thought we'd reached that critical temp where I could do it. Got the SUNNY side of the car washed, but the shady side froze up instantly, damnit. Then it's gotten COLDER since... 19 degrees at my place (oddly, I saw 19 degrees just outside of Las Vegas on Saturday night... and that was fairly EARLY in the evening, I'll bet it got colder as the night wore on...).
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Name:  snow.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  4.5 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
You made me randomly think about the fact I've never seen a Camaro with a snowplow on the front of it. Huh. Wonder if it's been done.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote