Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
mombo390

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE Non-RS w/NPP & Recaro
Value Of The Clear Bra

Hey guys, So i decided to do a write up so you guys dont end up in misery how I am now. I bought my 1le on February second of this year. In that time I have fallen in love with this car. I honestly believe that it offers the most performance per dollar of any new car on sale today. In the 1 and a half months I've owned my car she's seen the twisties four times. One time up the snake (mullholand dr.) twice up angeles crest highway, and once up glendora mountain road on our meet&greet cruise. She's been my daily untill 1600 miles when I did an oil change installed the elite catch can and decided to do a full detail wash, clay, polish, and wax. This is when I discovered the amount of rock chips on my car. The entire front bumper looks like someone has taken a sand blaster to it. The headlights, fog lights, grill, lip, and the matte hood are all completely chewed up. Also moving along to the back of the car the rear quarter panels right after the door where the gills are have the same sandblasted look with approximately 20-25rock chips on each side. The factory chevy paint is extremely thin and definetley needs protection. For anyone who was on the verge about getting a clear bra on the car my advice is if you plan to do any type of spirited driving and are worried about your paint you should DEFINETLEY get it. Although I bought the car to drive the sh*t out of and dont regret any of it I would highly suggest it to anyone looking to keep their cars factory fresh.
mombo390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
Any recommendations on brand/part number for the 2015 1LE?
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
mombo390

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvydvr View Post
Any recommendations on brand/part number for the 2015 1LE?
I would try to find a reputable shop that can install a 3m clear bra. I have read one too many posts about owners ruining the clear bra trying to install it themselves. Our cars have fairly intricate bumper designs and I wouldn't recommend it as a DIY.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
What about opti coat? Do both right after getting the car?
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
Shiftgreen

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE AGM
I agree about the clear bra. I wish I got them on the gills before my last road trip, however I finally got them on last fall. I think the highway , although fun due to the exit ramps, is asking for trouble. I still take the highway unfortunately, but I'm in anal mode the whole time.
If I see a pickup truck, truck with a trailer, or an 18 wheeler/ dump truck. I get as far away from them as possible.

I'm at 15k right now and although it pisses me off, I have just 2 little chips on my front. I'm getting the front taken care of before the summer so that should help.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #6
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
OP, I saw a few stories like yours when my car was ordered, so I had that stuff put on my car right away, front, sides, and mirrors. At least your having fun with your car!
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
I did mine early, but as in your case 400 miles was way to long to wait. I think it is pretty much the worst production paint job I have seen. Our Mercedes, which was 10K cheaper, has a WAY better paint job. The clear bra has helped a lot (even though I track a lot), but I still blame chevy for sending out these cars with no rock guards to save the sides. They had them on the Zl1 and should have put them on with the 1LE upgrade....
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
mombo390

Thinking of doing a touch up and buff job on the fromt end and sides then applying the clear bra. Definetely wish GM included the rock guards with our cars because this really ticks me off.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #9
Cam77

Drives: 2015 2SS/1LE/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
I did mine early, but as in your case 400 miles was way to long to wait. I think it is pretty much the worst production paint job I have seen. Our Mercedes, which was 10K cheaper, has a WAY better paint job. The clear bra has helped a lot (even though I track a lot), but I still blame chevy for sending out these cars with no rock guards to save the sides. They had them on the Zl1 and should have put them on with the 1LE upgrade....

Yeah did not understand not putting on the rock guards as standard equipment on the 1le especially with the rubber they use...found out the hard way with chips especially on the gills...but installed rock guards much better...and might move on to clear bra.
Cam77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #10
mombo390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam77 View Post
Yeah did not understand not putting on the rock guards as standard equipment on the 1le especially with the rubber they use...found out the hard way with chips especially on the gills...but installed rock guards much better...and might move on to clear bra.
Was there a specific website you ordered the rock guards from or did you just get the part from chevy?
Old 03-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #11
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Zl1addons has the front rock guards for about $40 shipped.
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #12
Cam77

Drives: 2015 2SS/1LE/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_RS View Post
Zl1addons has the front rock guards for about $40 shipped.
Yep that's where I ordered mine.
Cam77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #13
jim's2ssrs

Drives: 2011 2SS RS LS3 Rally Yellow
I had the dealer install the 3M paint protection film (clear bra) and what they called quarter flairs in 2011. I also have the heritage grille and had them install paint protection film on it. I then installed some vinyl gill stripes. While I have a few very small chips on the side of the car there are no chips on the front. The paint protection film is installed on the bumper, grille, 18" up on the hood and the leading faces of the rear view mirrors. I've had the front covered in bugs while on road trips and they wash off fairly easily. The general manager of the dealership I got it from races corvettes and he has the paint protection film installed on his race cars. I guess it has protected them also.
jim's2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #14
MrIanB

Drives: 2015 Red Rock Camaro 1LT RS
Expel is also another good brand. Used them with several of my Infiniti cars.

Ian B
MrIanB is offline   Reply With Quote