Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-29-2015, 02:30 AM   #1
Rob_H

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro LT RS
How to reset Mylink cache?

Dear all,

Mylink is giving me a massive headache when it comes to playing MP3s via USB. The tags were showing wrong, very wrong (Elvis Crespo instead of Elvis Presley?), so I used MP3Tag to clear all versions of tags from all of my MP3s, and used the USB drive for a day without any tags. Mylink was showing zero artists, zero albums etc, but I was able to play from the folders.

I then retagged ID3V2 from the filename. The tags are therefore as clean as they possibly can be. However, when I plugged the USB drive back in today, Mylink went through it's indexing routine, and the old tags are back including album art which was undoubtedly removed when I wiped the tags.

I can only think that Mylink retains an internal cache and is using that, but needs some basic tagging in order to recognise the MP3s.

Can anyone please tell me how to wipe the Mylink cache and/or suggest anything else that may help?

Thanks
Rob
Rob_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:18 AM   #2
Trip

Drives: 2015 White RS 2SS 1LE
Pretty amazing they can make a tiny little ipod do all these things flawlessly yet with a massive deck in our cars, it lags and jumps and scrolls through music from the bottom. I don't really mind the mylink that much except sometimes it lags on turning up the volume so I get blasted. I mean, if you can't get the radio to do the basics right, just go back and start over. Sorry, just hijacking to rant a bit.

Good luck finding an answer!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I have no problems playing my songs from a Memory Stick. Tags and operation is flawless.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_H View Post
Dear all,

Mylink is giving me a massive headache when it comes to playing MP3s via USB. The tags were showing wrong, very wrong (Elvis Crespo instead of Elvis Presley?), so I used MP3Tag to clear all versions of tags from all of my MP3s, and used the USB drive for a day without any tags. Mylink was showing zero artists, zero albums etc, but I was able to play from the folders.

I then retagged ID3V2 from the filename. The tags are therefore as clean as they possibly can be. However, when I plugged the USB drive back in today, Mylink went through it's indexing routine, and the old tags are back including album art which was undoubtedly removed when I wiped the tags.

I can only think that Mylink retains an internal cache and is using that, but needs some basic tagging in order to recognise the MP3s.

Can anyone please tell me how to wipe the Mylink cache and/or suggest anything else that may help?

Thanks
Rob
Rob,

Thanks for your post. I do apologize for the concerns you've been having with the MyLink system. As a result, I'd like to provide a resource for you to contact for additional assistance with your inquiry. This group can assist with any questions you have about the infotainment system:

Infotainment Customer Support Group:
1 (855) 478-7767
Daily; 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. (EST)

Hope that helps!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:20 AM   #5
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
I keep a 16 gig ipod mini in my Center Console. My never lags or has issues.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Splat1two

Drives: 2015 2ss 1le
I have a 2015 2ss/rs 1le. I know exactly what you're talking about! Bluetooth works just fine. When I actually plug in my iPhone, mylink goes full retard.

As massive as our deck is, there should be some sort of way to store music files so it doesn't have to reindex my files every time i plug in my iPhone/ipod.

Quote:
Dear all,

Thanks
Rob
Splat1two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
Rob_H

Cheers all for the responses.

I don't live in the U.S. so don't really want to call international to solve this problem. I just can't get over the fact that this should be a real simple fix; clear the cache and re-index the drive. There are certainly no options on the head unit for this, so I am absolutely at a loss.

Trip's right about the stereo - why can't it just work? As a UK customer I already have to go without Sat Nav, Satellite Radio, and a lot of the other nice interactive features. I also must do without correct MP3 tags.

Shoulda bought the Shelby...
Old 04-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #8
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:

I've got news for you... Ford's version of MyLink is called Sync and it's just as bad, if not worse, than MyLink. I traded a 2012 Ford for my Camaro.

When you think about how easy it should be for manufacturers to offer a really nice, easy to use, computerized system.. it is amazing that MyLink and Sync are the best they can come up with. All they need to do is use $300 laptop technology and they could create a system that plays DVDs, trouble free digital music and has great nav. It's mind boggling that they don't!
Old 04-29-2015, 04:30 PM   #9
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
I have Sync in our ford Flex, $300 + option, my link is better overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
Arksine

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Cheers all for the responses.

I don't live in the U.S. so don't really want to call international to solve this problem. I just can't get over the fact that this should be a real simple fix; clear the cache and re-index the drive. There are certainly no options on the head unit for this, so I am absolutely at a loss.

Trip's right about the stereo - why can't it just work? As a UK customer I already have to go without Sat Nav, Satellite Radio, and a lot of the other nice interactive features. I also must do without correct MP3 tags.

Calling wouldn't likely solve your issue anyway. I'm not sure about the 2014 version, but there are known issues with the 2013 Mylink that GM has decided to ignore. I was told last year that development had ceased and there would be no more updates despite the bugs.

You can try to do 2 things to fix your issue. First I would go into the settings and do a factory reset. Next I would rename the label of your flash drive every time you make changes to anything on it.

I don't have Ford Sync, but I have heard horror stories about it as well. Everyone I know that has it refers to it as "Ford Stink". The best hope for the future is that Apple and Google are making a push into infotainment and hopefully their implementations will be more polished.
Arksine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:59 AM   #11
Rob_H

This is great advice - thank you. I will have a go at this tonight.

I'm considering the Scosche head unit replacement. I have read up on it (there is a long thread on here), and it is almost fully interactive with the vehicle.

I will let you know later if Arksine's suggestion works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksine View Post
Calling wouldn't likely solve your issue anyway. I'm not sure about the 2014 version, but there are known issues with the 2013 Mylink that GM has decided to ignore. I was told last year that development had ceased and there would be no more updates despite the bugs.

You can try to do 2 things to fix your issue. First I would go into the settings and do a factory reset. Next I would rename the label of your flash drive every time you make changes to anything on it.

I don't have Ford Sync, but I have heard horror stories about it as well. Everyone I know that has it refers to it as "Ford Stink". The best hope for the future is that Apple and Google are making a push into infotainment and hopefully their implementations will be more polished.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #12
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I always rename the USB when making changes and haven't had any issues.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
Misterleeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
I always rename the USB when making changes and haven't had any issues.
That's what I do - solves the problem.
Misterleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #14
jdagsxr

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible
What do you mean by rename?
13 vert. Blacked out tint, Foose rims, blacked out bow ties, elite catch can, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, vintesse throttle body controller, blacked out side markers, jl audio sub in sub***** box, fark harness, jl audio amps, Blue footwell light front and rear, Kingpen Industries wind deflector, Pfadt lowering springs, MGP caliper covers.
jdagsxr is offline   Reply With Quote