Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
GSTRYDR
Ghost Ryder Z

Drives: 2018 Nightfall Gray ZL1
Trip to the Outter Banks in ZL1

The wife and I want to take a trip to the Outter Banks soon. I would like to take the ZL1 for this trip. I was wondering if I might have trouble on the ferry system with the Z's low clearance? I don't know that much about the Outter banks, and have only been as far as Emerald Isle so I was hoping for some trip suggestions from those of you with more experience. We love to try new restaurants and sight see. Suggestions and recommendations please!
GSTRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
mikescamaro12

Drives: 2014 chevy camaro 2lt RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Tundra View Post
The wife and I want to take a trip to the Outter Banks soon. I would like to take the ZL1 for this trip. I was wondering if I might have trouble on the ferry system with the Z's low clearance? I don't know that much about the Outter banks, and have only been as far as Emerald Isle so I was hoping for some trip suggestions from those of you with more experience. We love to try new restaurants and sight see. Suggestions and recommendations please!
afternoon , i have a 2014 2LT with full GM ground effects and had no issue with the ferries in the outer banks , hope that helps ,, r mike
Old 05-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
GSTRYDR
Ghost Ryder Z

Drives: 2018 Nightfall Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescamaro12 View Post
afternoon , i have a 2014 2LT with full GM ground effects and had no issue with the ferries in the outer banks , hope that helps ,, r mike
Thanks Mike. Good to know that I shouldn't have any car issues with the ferries. How about recommended places to go and things to do? What were your favorites, and what would you not do next time?
GSTRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:48 AM   #4
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
what are your interest at the beach? Fishing, Golfing, Swimming, shopping?? It's all there for you to enjoy. I will be heading to the Outer Banks after Camarofest.
Attached Images

hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #5
Travis104

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Last time my girlfriend and I were there, we found this restaurant called the blue moon. They had really good buffalo shrimp. On the same trip, I bought my ZL1 from OBX Chevy close to Corrola. They flew 2 guys to Louisianna, picked the car up and drove it back to NC. Put new tires on it and changed all fluids, the. Drove it to my house in WV and picked up my trade it and drove it back...we had my girlfriends car. It was the best dealership that I have ever dealt with.
We so went to an aquarium that was kind of interesting as well as did some hiking on the sand dunes.
Travis104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:02 AM   #6
69supersport396
Rick

Drives: 2012 IBM RS 'Vert
Haven't been to OBX since we moved here to AZ. Anyway, if you like unique seafood, try Goombay's on Virginia Dare Trail in Kill Devil Hills. Another good seafood restaurant is Owen's on Virginia Dare Trail in Nags Head. They have great Maryland style crab cakes, and other great dishes.

Our teenagers loved Mako Mike's. It's a family style place that I thought was just OK. Another good family style place is New York Pizza Pub on S. Croatan Highway. They have some specialty pizza that I loved, but can't remember what it was.

If you go to Okracoke Island, you MUST go to Howard's Pub! It's on the main drag, on the right, before entering the town. The beer menu is extremely extensive and impressive!

We hated Dirty Dick's, a crab house, terrible service and crappy fried food. We also hated Jimmy's Seafood Buffet, terrible food and a disgustingly dirty interior! A local recommended that dump. Maybe they cleaned up their act by now.

If you like shopping for souvenirs, check out T-Tops on S. Croatan Highway in Kill Devil Hills. You'll find more goofy (in a good way) stuff at Ben Franklin in Nags Head.

If you have the time, visit and climb every lighthouse that is open to the public. It's good exercise!

You should have no issues driving the ZL1 around OBX. Try to find a place by the Pamlico Sound and watch the sunset.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:47 AM   #7
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I've been on 4 ferrys in the last two weeks travelling here in BC and no issues. Just go slow and angle where you can. This last trip definitely helped me decide to not lower my car because it wouldn't have made it if Idubeen any lower.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:18 AM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
@hrpiii

You have a beautiful looking ride !!!

Very nicely done.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

As others have mentioned, there is so much to do, so much to see, you can just pick and choose what suits you day-to-day, and based on the weather. It is a very relaxed atmosphere there, so remember to relax and soak it in, don't be in a hurry to do it all.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:30 AM   #9
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
If you go up to Corolla you can see the horses. Took the ZL1 there last year and will go again this year.
Attached Images

Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote