Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England

Old 11-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Information on Massachusetts Private Auto Sale - Thanks in Advance

Hey Folks,

I need a little help. I have not been involved in a private auto sale for over 20 years. This is for Massachusetts.

My Mother in law is in long term care right now with terminal kidney cancer. I have agreed to pay book value to buy her 2002 Subaru Forrester (which has an insane book value for some reason, I would have thought $500, it's in rough shape, but whatever) and I need information on the mechanics of a private sale. Anyone help me out that has done this in Mass?

I think what I need is:
- Signed over title with her signature and mine
- Turn her plates in and get new plates
- ???

What else do I need to do to get the car registered?

Thanks guys!
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
In Florida the seller has to fill in price and mileage. Don't forget sales tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
rickyrocket

Drives: 2015 blk 1 SS
I would think bill of sale or better yet get a gift letter so you dont pay tax, works in RI
Old 11-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
One-Bad-ZL1
So easy to love Camaros

Drives: 2013 ZL1 VR #3457
Send a message via Yahoo to One-Bad-ZL1
Look into the gift laws. CT has the same thing, gift from family member to family member should just be the cost for reregistration in new owners name. Signed title, you can keep the plates if you want them.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
Muscle Car Lover

Thanks all!

My insurance company was so nice, they took care of everything for me, all set. I LOVE community companies, you get real service.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 11-12-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Thanks all!

My insurance company was so nice, they took care of everything for me, all set. I LOVE community companies, you get real service.
Who do you have?
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
Northeast Rod Run

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Yup, in MA you can have if gifted an save a bunch of cash, if it is family. Sorry to hear about your mom in law
Old 11-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCruisin View Post
Who do you have?
I have Commerce Insurance and use the Westford offices, they are amazing people and really do a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Rod Run View Post
Yup, in MA you can have if gifted an save a bunch of cash, if it is family. Sorry to hear about your mom in law
I did not go into detail, it's a sad situation all around, but yes I had my wife buy the car outright (we are worried her deadbeat brother will cause a stink if the car is gifted, but you would not believe the assessed tax value on this car WTF!) but the insurance ladies got us out of paying taxes because it was within the family. We had to move her into hospice care this week and it's just real ugly right now.