Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
camaro2lt-15

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS SGM
FOB hanging off Key is dangerous

The Key FOB hanging off the key is more dangerous now I don't like it. I feel a push start would of been a safer recall.What does anyone think of this I got a 2015 2LT I had no choice.I cut out my key and put it back in FOB I like it better
camaro2lt-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Though I can easily shut off the car like GM claims, I have avoided the recall because the hanging fob would hit my knee all the time while i am driving. I don't know if it would be dangerous, but it damn sure would be annoying.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I've been driving with a clicker (FOB) hanging off a key for... well... decades now without a problem.

Have been riding for over 10 years w/ a motorcycle w/ FOBS without any problems.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #4
AllAmericanMan

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LT Auto
I never had an issue with the key not in the fob, personally. It was a bit annoying when my knee hit it every so often but just normal driving it never hit, really. I'm sort though 5'9". And I'm rather used to having keys dangling from the switch in every other vehicle I drive.
That being said, I too, cut my key and installed it into the fob. Ive never had an issue with bumping the fob and killing the engine. I like the cleaner look and simplicity of carrying less on my ring/in my pocket.
I wouldn't say the hanging fob is more dangerous in any case....
Just my $0.02
AllAmericanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I don't like something just touching one knee, that would be distracting. Now, if they added something for the other side of the steering wheel, to touch the other knee at the same time, I'd be interested!
Old 04-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #6
ARTIE G.

Drives: chevrolet 2010 camaro lt/rs
The problem is the angle of the ignition key way. You just trade one annoying problem for another. For the life of me I don't understand why the 5th generation was not keyless to start with. There is a blank spot right where the push button should have been. This was the cheapest fix GM could come up with. Cheap being the operative word. I don't have a problem with my knee hitting the key. I signed a waiver and kept my original flip key. If you are short in stature I could see it being a problem. If that is the case by all means get the modified key, otherwise don't bother. There are still vendors that sell the original style key blank with integral fob. Take it to a laser key cutter. Program it using a simple trade keys after starting and you are in business. Enough of this nonsense.
ARTIE G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
My Great-Great Grandpappy was killed by a pack of wild Fobs.

Very dangerous..
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
And even push-button start has issues as well.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...h-button-start
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/18/k...s-car%20theft/

I'll continue to ignore the recall notices for my switchblade.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
My Great-Great Grandpappy was killed by a pack of wild Fobs.

Very dangerous..
My deepest condolences. I'd get a lawyer and sue the great great grandkids of the makers of those wild fobs.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #10
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt-15 View Post
The Key FOB hanging off the key is more dangerous now I don't like it. I feel a push start would of been a safer recall.What does anyone think of this I got a 2015 2LT I had no choice.I cut out my key and put it back in FOB I like it better
Please explain how the hanging FOB is more dangerous.
I'm curious.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #11
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Some of the push start systems have big problems designed in as well. There have been reports of people driving home, park in their garage, in a hurry on cell phone or packages in hands and get out without hitting the start/stop button ... car has been left running in the garage overnight and exhaust seeped in to house. Last week read about a family that was saved due to the son waking up screaming with a severe headache which woke up the rest of the household --- turns out they all had to go to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning which triggered the headaches and drowsy condition.

The Keyless fob to our SUV is sometimes kept right near the door leading to where the car is parked. The SUV can then be started and driven away without the keyless remote fob even being inside the car. Once at a store, the car can not be started because the keyless fob is not present (it is still at home) - there is a message that appears saying fob out of range or some such message in the dic if paying attention - usually notice before getting to far away from house.

There is no way Chevy would attempt to convert Gen5 Camaro to push button start due to the huge expense and logistics.

My 2014 SS was delivered with recall keys - I brought in spare blades and the dealer cut them for free and gave me some free roll pins and fastened the blades in to the fobs at my request. Now I have two fully functional fobs and two "old fashioned" separate keys with chips. Driving manual transmission I keep the seat way back and knee is no where near the ignition lock.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:47 PM   #12
Netraa

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs

got tired of the recall notices so i made it obsolete. The fob is a tri function ultra secure model, it uses dual band UHF and a RF proximity check. It unlocks the doors when the key gets within 6 feet of the car, and you plop down and push the button and off you go.
Netraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:00 PM   #13
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Technically per the recall you aren't supposed to have the FOB dangle off the key in the ignition.. It was recommended, and I think even stated in the recall to use only the new key without any extra weight on it.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #14
camaro2lt-15

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Some of the push start systems have big problems designed in as well. There have been reports of people driving home, park in their garage, in a hurry on cell phone or packages in hands and get out without hitting the start/stop button ... car has been left running in the garage overnight and exhaust seeped in to house. Last week read about a family that was saved due to the son waking up screaming with a severe headache which woke up the rest of the household --- turns out they all had to go to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning which triggered the headaches and drowsy condition.

The Keyless fob to our SUV is sometimes kept right near the door leading to where the car is parked. The SUV can then be started and driven away without the keyless remote fob even being inside the car. Once at a store, the car can not be started because the keyless fob is not present (it is still at home) - there is a message that appears saying fob out of range or some such message in the dic if paying attention - usually notice before getting to far away from house.

There is no way Chevy would attempt to convert Gen5 Camaro to push button start due to the huge expense and logistics.

My 2014 SS was delivered with recall keys - I brought in spare blades and the dealer cut them for free and gave me some free roll pins and fastened the blades in to the fobs at my request. Now I have two fully functional fobs and two "old fashioned" separate keys with chips. Driving manual transmission I keep the seat way back and knee is no where near the ignition lock.
Ron
I asked my dealership and they wouldn't give me the option that you were given unlike other 2010 - 2014 Camaro owners.
I started with 2015 so my key was already removed from my FOB when given to me.
I did buy the fillers for that hideous gap, I only learned of how the switchblade key worked when I was given a 2016 Traxx as a rental while my Camaro was having a ZL1 spoiler installed.
I then noticed how nice the switchblade key is and wanted one also, I really love it!
It's much better than having a key in my pocket and tearing a hole in my pocket over time :(
camaro2lt-15 is offline   Reply With Quote