Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
mikeusaf

Drives: 1999 Toyota Corolla
2010 Camaro LS as First Car?

Hey what's up everyone,

First off, I would just like to say that I made a similar post to this earlier this year, however I was asking if a 4th Gen Camaro base model would make a great first car. I got a lot of helpful responses, and there was one response where someone mentioned the insurance cost for their V6 5th Gen, and they were only a year older than me (I'm 17). So that just made me start thinking. Since it is now 6 years old and can be bought for a relatively cheap price for a car (I have seen $10,000 - $12,000), would a 2010 Camaro LS make a good first car for a driver of my age?

The Camaro has been my dream car for as long as I can remember. I know that a Camaro, even a base model, has a lot of power under the hood, but I believe that I am mature enough to respect that power and drive safe and smart. I would really like to buy one because it could create a new hobby for me and I really want something that I can be responsible for. As of now, I have a little over $5,000 in the bank. This summer I plan on working a lot to hopefully save up enough money to buy a used LS. I will be going into my senior year of high school and will be involved in sports so I will very likely get a weekend job to maintain my possible future car. I have been told that I should spend my money on a car I really like, because if I spend it on just some clunker that I HAD to buy then I won't appreciate as much. I'm sure that working to buy any car will make you appreciate it a lot no matter what kind of car it is, but I think working to buy a Camaro would give me an even greater sense of gratification. One major thing that I want to be able to learn is basic auto maintenance so I can keep my car running smoothly. However, I'm worried that the Camaro wouldn't be that great of choice because it isn't that old of a car, so there are more electronics on it that could break, meaning less things I can learn to fix myself and more money I would have to pay to a mechanic.

So do you guys think you could help me out with some advice? Is this a good idea or a bad idea? Would a Camaro LS be an overall good car for a fairly new driver? How reliable is it? Etc.

Thanks guys
mikeusaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
I currently own a 2010 V6 1LT so the step above the LS. I would recommend avoiding a 2010-2011 V6. Both years have the LLT motor and Bosch ECU and both have their downfalls. The LLT motor is known for Bearing issues and timing chain issues, and the bosch ecu makes it very hard to modify or force induction. If I were you I would skip directly to the 2012-2015 LS camaros with the LFX motors. No known issues with that motor, makes more power, and has a tunable ECU.

Just my opinion as a 2010 Owner
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Having owned both a LLT and LFX Camaro, I recommend the LFX Camaro. So 2012-15 models.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
I had a 2002 Gen 4 Firebird with a V6. I loved that car. I totaled that car going 40 mph on the highway in a downpour. I hydroplaned the car into a wall. Being rear wheel drive that car was difficult to drive in the rain. The Gen 4 does not have traction control like the Gen 5 has. Traction control is a great thing for our wide rear tires and and no weight in the rear. If you do get a Gen 4 just be real careful in the rain.
I would go for a Gen 5 if you can afford it. It is the safest rear wheel drive car I have ever driven. You can punch it going around a corner in a down pour and it will not break loose. I would stay away from 2010 and 2011 models. The LFX V6 came out in 20012. This is an incredible V6 engine. Another big change for the 2012 was a new FE4 suspension package. Now the car actually handles pretty good.

Good luck on your purchase of a Camaro.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
My2010 LS is awesome, brings a smile to my face ,and I have had no problems to date 7yrs.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
What is wrong with your 2010 Sentra?
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
mikeusaf

Drives: 1999 Toyota Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
What is wrong with your 2010 Sentra?
The Sentra is just my family's car. It's the car I learned to drive on and I take it out whenever my parents want me to run errands.
mikeusaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #8
YoungCamaroHopeful

Drives: Black 2010 1LT w/ SS nose
I'm 16 and I drive a 2010 1LT and its a great car. It's very cool and you will get looks everywhere, which is good and bad. There is a HUGE lack of visibility, but you get used to that. Overall I think its a cool car and definitely an awesome car!
Hope this helps,
YoungCamaroHopeful
YoungCamaroHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #9
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeusaf View Post
The Sentra is just my family's car. It's the car I learned to drive on and I take it out whenever my parents want me to run errands.
If you get the Camaro, you will be asking to do this!

You mentioned something about doing your own maintenance, the Camaro is pretty easy.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
ehannn21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3 VR
Yeah! i was in a similar situation and i bought a 2011 camaro 1LT when i was 18! i loved that car and it really made going to work a little easier/more fun. it also helps for starting to build some credit when youre young! i think its a good idea and you wont regret it! i got compliments on it all the time (especially being young). eventually i had realized that an SS was in my budget and i actually sold my 11 1LT for a 2010 2SS when i turned 19. i am now 20 and im still obsessed with my camaro! i vote yes
ehannn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #11
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
I currently own a 2010 V6 1LT so the step above the LS. I would recommend avoiding a 2010-2011 V6. Both years have the LLT motor and Bosch ECU and both have their downfalls. The LLT motor is known for Bearing issues and timing chain issues, and the bosch ecu makes it very hard to modify or force induction. If I were you I would skip directly to the 2012-2015 LS camaros with the LFX motors. No known issues with that motor, makes more power, and has a tunable ECU.

Just my opinion as a 2010 Owner
Mine has had no issues so far. Your opinion.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #12
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
The LS is a great car . I would call around for insurance quotes If I was you . Insurance cost very greatly depending on where you live and your credit score .
Old 05-23-2016, 10:42 PM   #13
Clammy Clemens
Z2M

Drives: Oxford White 2014 Mustang GT
Hey! I'm 19, and current college freshman, and I bought my RS when i turned 18! One of the best decisions I've ever made in my young adult life. Looks great, get lots of compliments, and it puts the power down! I would say go for it, and good luck!
Clammy Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #14
Pi kappa alpha

Drives: SS Vert
Don't be stupid and spend you're entire bank account on a car. If you parents won't cover a portion of it don't bother. I assume you'll be going to college soon. You will need that money.