Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 11-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 1LT
Installing spoiler on a base 1LT?

Hi all,

Looking to see if anyone has installed a spoiler on a base 1LT (no RS package), specifically a spoiler that you'll need to drill and bolt on?

I'm looking at the DAR factory SS spoiler found here but I guess I'm just worried about actually taking a drill to my Camaro.

Any insight into installing a spoiler would be appreciated
Old 11-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
If you've never drilled trunk Sheetmetal, it's very easy to dent it. You need to use the special step drill bit that widens the hole as it goes in. I suggest you get a body shop if this is a new experience for you

Last edited by Glen e; 11-02-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
DaveC

Drives: 2016 LT1 Red Hot
I got this one from RPI it arrived yesterday, just have it setting there in the picture, I'm installing it on Saturday.... I checked out the install, the center screws look like they fall over the latch, need to remove the liner to get a better look.... the side mounts fall over an area where the trunk has a small access area on the underside.... I have the blue tape, 1/8 bit, and a new 1/2 uni-bit ready to go....

Went with matte black as the car is too red as it is... also have some matte black hash decals to go on the fenders...

DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:25 AM   #4
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
If you've never drilled in the Sheetmetal, it's very easy to dent it. You need to use the special step drill bit that widens the hole as it goes in. I suggest you get a body shop if this is a new experience for you

Thanks Glen. DAR has a nice "how to" video on their page and saw the special drill bit you mentioned. Still not sure if I'm feeling up to trying this myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2016, 04:28 AM   #5
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
I got this one from RPI it arrived yesterday, just have it setting there in the picture, I'm installing it on Saturday.... I checked out the install, the center screws look like they fall over the latch, need to remove the liner to get a better look.... the side mounts fall over an area where the trunk has a small access area on the underside.... I have the blue tape, 1/8 bit, and a new 1/2 uni-bit ready to go....

Went with matte black as the car is too red as it is... also have some matte black hash decals to go on the fenders...

Thanks Dave, please do keep me posted how everything works out! Yeah I took a look under the trunk lid and felt discouraged, seems there's very little room to maneuver in there.

Nice color combo BTW. Can't go wrong with red/black. Although to be fair, there isn't a color combo on these 6th gens that looks bad - our cars are just so good-looking!

Old 11-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #6
nfboy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT HBM
I have a 1LT ordered and I spec'd the wing spoiler which oddly is a dealer installed option for that model anyway. I was a little surprised at that given (I assume) the SS models come from the factory with spoiler installed. Figured mine would come factory installed using an SS deck lid. Anyway I am therefore assuming mine will be drilled into by the dealer.....I think I will ask to be present when that is done!!!
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
Captain Obvious
^Name^ | Things I Say -->

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible, Hyper Blue
Maybe put a post up looking for an SS owner that doesn't want the spoiler - you could potentially trade trunk lids. Everybody wins.

If you do install one, I'd pay a body shop to do it, and I'm a pretty handy guy. Way too much room for error, especially if the trunk lid is Aluminum.
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfboy View Post
I have a 1LT ordered and I spec'd the wing spoiler which oddly is a dealer installed option for that model anyway. I was a little surprised at that given (I assume) the SS models come from the factory with spoiler installed. Figured mine would come factory installed using an SS deck lid. Anyway I am therefore assuming mine will be drilled into by the dealer.....I think I will ask to be present when that is done!!!
Mine has the wing spoiler. I didn't know it was a dealer install until after I bought the car. It is slightly different than the spoiler that comes on the SS. And it is not a factory spoiler. I do like it and it is part of the reason I chose my car over a couple of the other ones sitting on the lot at the time.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
Dennis Northwest

Drives: 16 1SS A8 NPP
I paid the dealer's body shop to install a rear spoiler on my 5th Gen 2LT. They only charged me for a half hour of labor and it came out perfect. I can't remember the cost but I think the installation was $50 to $75. It was money well spent.
Dennis Northwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Northwest View Post
I paid the dealer's body shop to install a rear spoiler on my 5th Gen 2LT. They only charged me for a half hour of labor and it came out perfect. I can't remember the cost but I think the installation was $50 to $75. It was money well spent.

Oh dang, really? That's a lot less than I anticipated having someone else do it. I should give my service advisor a call.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #11
DaveC

Drives: 2016 LT1 Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMasticTB91 View Post
Thanks Dave, please do keep me posted how everything works out! Yeah I took a look under the trunk lid and felt discouraged, seems there's very little room to maneuver in there.

Nice color combo BTW. Can't go wrong with red/black. Although to be fair, there isn't a color combo on these 6th gens that looks bad - our cars are just so good-looking!

It's on came out perfect... the liner comes out easy just unscrew the 2 stops, pry the fasteners out, remove the latch cover, and pop out the 4 1" plugs where the side screws go...

Made my own templates, drilled it out, painted the drilled edges, then mounted it with the provided screws, rubber washers, and RTV to insure no leaks... I'm an electrician and handle cordless drills on a daily basis, I'm more confident in my abilities than someone at the dealer...
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:57 AM   #12
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
It's on came out perfect... the liner comes out easy just unscrew the 2 stops, pry the fasteners out, remove the latch cover, and pop out the 4 1" plugs where the side screws go...

Made my own templates, drilled it out, painted the drilled edges, then mounted it with the provided screws, rubber washers, and RTV to insure no leaks... I'm an electrician and handle cordless drills on a daily basis, I'm more confident in my abilities than someone at the dealer...
Nice! If you ever come to Florida let me know and I'll slip you a few bucks to install one on mine
Old 11-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #13
Arka

Drives: 2016 Nightfall grey 2.0 1LT
I had a spoiler installed on my 1LT without RS package. I paid 85 bucks at the dealership.
Arka is offline   Reply With Quote