Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
coolman

Last edited by coolman; 02-18-2010 at 10:54 AM.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
purplhaizcraz3

Drives: 2010 2LT CHEVY CAMARO BABY!!!!
IMO I don't think you should be required to drive stick to get your license only because there's no "safety" benfit of manual vs. auto, except in the snow. But manual sure is a hell lot more fun to drive!!!
purplhaizcraz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
What purpose would that serve?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Tactical Z
Banned

Drives: Nissan Titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
What purpose would that serve?
Tactical Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Gonna have to vote NO on this one.......
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
diddiyo

Drives: .
they should make it a lot harder to get your drivers license. too many idiots on the road these days.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
purplhaizcraz3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
What if you were out with someone that had a stick and they had a medical problem. You have no cell service and not a lot of time. I bet you wish you knew how than. there are many other good reason to know.
There are alot of good reasons why you should know but I notice alot more people drive auto than stick, at least around me. Its an art thats slowly declining. So you're very rarely gonna be put in a situation like that, if ever, so there's really no necessary need to know how to drive manual. If people were dropping left and right in their cars every day, then I could understand. There just isn't a practical reason to make it mandatory.( I hope that last sentence makes sense)
Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
purplhaizcraz3

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
they should make it a lot harder to get your drivers license. too many idiots on the road these days.
Totally and 100% agree with you on that.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Well another post made me think of this. Should everyone be required to learn to drive a stick in order to get their driver license. What do you guy's think. I really think they should.
I like the idea..but I don't see it happening..with all the autos out there now
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
mfr1950

Drives: 2011 challengerR/T , 2010 Ram R/T
How often do you see a car with a stick anymore? They are getting less common nowdays. The local high school drivers ed uses automatics so the students don't learn how anymore.. Some of the students have never seen a car with crank up windows or manually adjusted seats..
mfr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Well, I can tell you one car that caused a lot more manuals to be out there, and their are a lot of people that now wish they could drive a stick. Most countries outside the us have more manuals than auto's. Better gas mpg also.
Automatics these days have been tuned and calibrated so well that the MPG benefit of a manual is minimal now. Sometimes automatics are even better.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
there is no benefit of offering Manuals only... if anything it will give the already bad drivers out there something else to worry about while driving. Your plan would also eliminate most people with a bad knee, or people above the age of 50.
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Quote:
Well another post made me think of this. Should everyone be required to learn to drive a stick in order to get their driver license. What do you guy's think. I really think they should.
I think it would be awesome just for the simple fact it might, MIGHT I said, give a small portion of people who make the switch something to do with their other hand, rather than grab a cell phone.
Proud Owner of #168
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Quote:
On the other hand, I think you would have to give them more levers than that to deter some folks.
lol True.

I actually remember seeing an episode of Top Gear where it mentioned that..Finland(I think?) made people learn how to drive using a stick and are probably one of the countries that have the least amount of a-holes per square acre on the road. Not exactly in that wording, but you get the drift.
Proud Owner of #168
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #15
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
there are also some people that just can't drive a stick, not necessarily because physical handicap, but just can't learn to drive a manual decently
Old 10-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #16
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
I don't think it's a must.. but it should definitely be encouraged. I think the move to Automatics was a dumb move in drivers ed cars. It just furthers the "dumb drivers" disease by starting them as just that..

Pedal pushing mindless zombies that have a good perchance to put their bumper into your rear.

I REALLY wish I had the chance to learn on a Manual. My parents HATE them and actually refused to allow me to learn saying that it's more distracting and dangerous than driving an automatic. The only way I learned was driving a 4 speed gator.. and even then I still suck 7 years later (I don't consistently drive a stick.. maybe 2 times a year at the most).

I've learned over the years to keep my cool when I KNOW that learning to drive stick is one of the best things you can do to learn the practices of safe and defensive driving (riding a motorcycle is the other).

It's not only sad.. it's pathetic. VERY pathetic. Speaking of which.. the local schools in Kalamazoo use Priuses exclusively.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #17
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I never had the opportunity either...the Saturn died before I started driving.

I understand the basic principle behind it, I've just never been able to do it before outside of a parking lot.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #18
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

[QUOTE=coolman;1074316][QUOTE=Zabo My parents HATE them and actually refused to allow me to learn saying that it's more distracting and dangerous than driving an automatic.

I don't get why people say it's distracting. If anything it makes you more aware because you have to pay attention to know when to shift. Once you learn it becomes no more distracting than pushing the gas or turning the wheel.[/QUOTE]

Exactly..

I tell them this and their response:

"They're still horrible in snow and you can't go up a hill with them."

They also believe it's required to have 4WD in snow, and that anything 2WD is an accident waiting to happen.

o_O

The Camaro will be my first manual.. and the test drive will be the 3rd time I've driven one on the road. <_<
Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #19
comiskeybum
Banned

Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Quote:
not in a day that automatics are faster than stick.

i could care less about stick
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #20
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Quote:
I'm starting to see why now , in the movies during a chase scene when a guy shifts a car hundred times while going at a steady speed a lot of people these days don't say anything.
We are creating a lost generation.
No, just a generation whose parents had sh!tty cars/transmissions.

Same rationale behind the Toyota Zombies. My mom had a Dodge Omni.. 6 months later she traded it (guess why..). My dad had an '86 Ranger and found it 'annoying' while he tried to enjoy his coffee at 4AM.

Whatever.. I'm getting one regardless. They can only say "you'll be soooorreeee~" so many times before I snap. Again. For the umpteenth time.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #21
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
like those calif's that love doing the calif roll, almost got hit by a withc doing that today lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskeybum View Post
not in a day that automatics are faster than stick.

i could care less about stick
My summer daily driver is a 6sp manual (man) lol but my winter & race cars are all auto.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z, 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #22
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
Personally, I don't think its a good idea to REQUIRE it.
It is a good idea to people to learn to drive a stick but as for requiring it, not so much.

I'm a big fan of stickshifts but with my nerve problem, driving one isn't always an option. I know that when I got my 02 Vette (auto) I wished it was a manual. But, on the drive home my left arm suddeny went into max pain mode and I couldn't touch anything with it. Got stuck in stop and go traffic and a stick you have sent me to near screaming.

Has anyone seen my sanity? I am hiding from it and don't want it sneaking up on me!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #23
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
It would give some people a little more respect when they crawl up your ass on a hill thats for sure.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #24
Chronomaro

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
I kinda wish it was at least an option. I was taught in a Buick Century and my first car was an old Volvo 4spd with electronic overdrive. That was trial and error for the first year. Burnt up that clutch in only 8k, too.

Manuals are probably cheaper to rebuild when they get to the point where they need it, too. Only autos I've seen that compare to manuals in case of fuel economy are either 8 gears or dual clutch. And sure those would cost more than the $2000 it cost my dad with the 3rd gen Z28(auto).

And I have seen drivers with sticks that still have cell phones stuck to their ears.

As for the movies that shift hundreds of times...I only remember a couple. I remember more movies with the guy that cocks the shotgun every few seconds without ever firing it.
Chronomaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #25
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I think that getting a license should be WAY harder than it is. And that if you don't have handsfree bluetooth, your cell phone automaticallt turns of when you get in the car.

Oh and that texting gets disabled too..... I have seen soooo many people drifting into other lanes cause they are saying "where R U? LOL" to their other stupid little text friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote