Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Cadillac Launches SuperCruise

Cadillac Super Cruise™ Sets the Standard for Hands-Free Highway Driving
Cadillac

April 10, 2017

• Provides comfort and convenience in long-distance travel and daily commutes
  • Exclusive DRIVER attention SYSTEM supports SAFE OPERATION
  • Precision lidar-based map data combines with real-time sensors and cameras to improve Vehicle control

NEW YORK — The 2018 Cadillac CT6 will feature Super Cruise™, the industry’s first true hands-free driving technology for the highway. Unlike other driver assistance systems, Super Cruise™ utilizes two advanced technology systems — a driver attention system and precision LiDAR map data — to ensure safe and confident vehicle operation.

These systems are added to the network of cameras and radar sensors in the CT6, providing a more data-rich approach to driver assistance that is unique in the industry.

Super Cruise™ delivers comfort and convenience for long-distance travels and daily commutes. In addition, its hands-free capability and driver attention system help the driver safely complete common tasks in the car, such as using the navigation system, adjusting the audio system or taking a phone call.

Super Cruise™ adds automatic lane-centering to CT6’s existing suite of driver assistance active safety technologies, enabling automatic control of speed and steering during highway driving. The system, which was designed to promote driver safety and convenience, will be available this fall.

“Super Cruise™ is a more technologically advanced hands-free driving solution, which in terms of capability, integration and validation is uniquely focused on customer convenience and safety,” said Johan de Nysschen, Cadillac president. “Cadillac’s philosophy is to elevate driving. Super Cruise™ enables safe, simple hands-free driving for the highway.”

Driver Attention System Enables Safe Operation

“When we were developing Super Cruise™ we knew it was important to keep the driver engaged during operation. That’s why we’ve added a driver attention function, to insist on driver supervision,” said Barry Walkup, chief engineer of Cadillac Super Cruise™.

The driver attention system uses a small camera located on the top of the steering column that focuses exclusively on the driver and works with infrared lights to track head position to determine where the driver is looking whenever Super Cruise™ is in operation.

Existing driver assist systems only rely upon steering wheel input and warning messages to request driver attention and control. Cadillac is the only manufacturer to monitor driver attention to the road ahead when Super Cruise™ is engaged.

If the system detects the driver has turned attention away from the road ahead for too long, it will prompt the driver to return their attention to the road ahead. If the driver does not immediately refocus on the road, Super Cruise™ will continue to safely steer until a further escalation of alerts prompts the driver to resume supervision.

If the system determines continued inattentiveness, a steering wheel light bar guides the driver to look at the road or take back control of the wheel. Additional alerts can include visual indicators in the instrument cluster, tactile alerts in Cadillac’s Safety Alert Seat and audible alerts, if necessary. In the limited event of an unresponsive driver, the Cadillac CT6 utilizes the full capability of onboard driver assistance technologies to bring the car to a controlled stop and contact OnStar to alert first responders, if necessary.

Precision LiDAR Map Data

Super Cruise™ is the first assisted driving technology that will use precision LiDAR map data in addition to real-time cameras, sensors and GPS.

Data from on-board cameras, GPS and radar sensors is a key component of most assisted driving systems. The car uses the real-time data provided by the cameras and sensors to govern steering, braking and acceleration. Super Cruise™ adds to this formula using advanced laser technology in development for future autonomous vehicles: a LiDAR-scanned map database.

Combined with the real-time data from cameras and GPS sensors, the precision map governs system use, enabling it in only the areas where appropriate road conditions are detected. The combination of real-time data with precision mapping also improves vehicle control through curves and hills.

This advanced map data restrains Super Cruise™ use to divided, limited-access highways — highways with defined “on-” and “off-ramps.” This approach focuses Super Cruise™’s benefit on highway commutes, a large part of many consumers’ daily driving routines, as well as long-distance travels. It eliminates variables such as intersections and other less predictable potential hazards that can be prevalent on rural roads or city streets.

“The development of Super Cruise reflects a responsible and safety-oriented approach to the rollout of this advanced technology,” de Nysschen said.

The precision LiDAR map was developed specifically for Super Cruise™. Engineers mapped every mile of limited-access highway in the U.S. and Canada, providing detailed information to the car about the road ahead. This pairs with improved accuracy GPS, measuring real-time location in a fashion four to eight times more precise than traditional GPS.

“American drivers travel twice as many miles on urban and suburban highways as they do on rural roads,” Walkup said. “Super Cruise™ allows hands-free driving and operates only within the environment where it has the most benefit. While it is technically possible for the technology to drive hands-free on other kinds of streets and roads, we feel strongly that this targeted approach is the best to build consumer and regulatory confidence and enthusiasm for advanced mobility.”

Super Cruise™ will be offered as an option on the 2018 Cadillac CT6 prestige sedan, starting this fall in the U.S. and Canadian markets.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Nice but I don't have the guts to try one of these yet, heck I haven't used the self parking on the SS yet.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I want autonomous features for stop and go traffic alone. There would be less cursing on I95.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I want autonomous features for stop and go traffic alone. There would be less cursing on I95.
If every car on the I-95 were to have an autonomous driving feature, there wouldn't be any stop an go. Could you imagine how awesome it would be to hit the button after leaving work and effortlessly merge into traffic and make it home at a reasonable time. That's about the only thing that interests me with these technologies, I like driving too much.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I think its a great concept but I dont know if I could trust it enough to use it everyday

2019 SS 1LE - "CaSSandra" 2014 SS - "AleSSandra - Sold" 94 Z28 - Sold

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #6
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
This may put some drivers to sleep.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #7
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1dab View Post
This may put some drivers to sleep.
The system's designed to prevent that.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
If every car on the I-95 were to have an autonomous driving feature, there wouldn't be any stop an go. Could you imagine how awesome it would be to hit the button after leaving work and effortlessly merge into traffic and make it home at a reasonable time. That's about the only thing that interests me with these technologies, I like driving too much.
I like to say that I enjoy driving, its commuting that I hate.

I used to have a job where it was 50 minutes from home in clear traffic, with more than half that time spent on a highway. I usually allowed about a hour and 15 minutes. However, when heading home on Fridays it usually took more than an hour and a half. If there was an accident, it could be 2 hours. And pretty much every last minute spent commuting was in stop and go traffic.

Whether or not self driving cars will make congestion on highways better or worse ... they at least make it more bearable for people behind the wheel of the self driving car.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #9
Donald

Drives: Just a dream...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The system's designed to prevent that.
Until someone cheats the system with sunglasses and falls asleep...

Still imperfect tech, but much closer.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post

If I were programming the camera system, I would based it around checking for 2 things:

is the driver looking forward
are their eyes moving

If the answer is yes to both of those, it can reasonably be assumed that the driver is alert and paying attention.

If it can't see your eyes, it cannot say you are looking forward & therefore it must assume that you are not paying attention to the road.

Or if you do have eyes forward but they are static, you've clearly been incapacitated in some manner. Maybe dead, maybe had a heart attack or seizure, maybe printed fake eyes onto a pair of sunglasses. Doesn't matter. No movement = no good.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 04-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:

There is no way its that easy to cheat. At the very least, if the car can't get enough proper input to make a decision, it will default to driver mode and force the driver to take the wheel, or it will attempt to pull off the road.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
There is no way its that easy to cheat. At the very least, if the car can't get enough proper input to make a decision, it will default to driver mode and force the driver to take the wheel, or it will attempt to pull off the road.
Here is what it does:

Quote:
If the system determines continued inattentiveness, a steering wheel light bar guides the driver to look at the road or take back control of the wheel. Additional alerts can include visual indicators in the instrument cluster, tactile alerts in Cadillac’s Safety Alert Seat and audible alerts, if necessary. In the limited event of an unresponsive driver, the Cadillac CT6 utilizes the full capability of onboard driver assistance technologies to bring the car to a controlled stop and contact OnStar to alert first responders, if necessary
Last paragraph of 'Driver Attention System Enables Safe Operation'

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 04-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #13
Donald

Drives: Just a dream...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If I were programming the camera system, I would based it around checking for 2 things:

is the driver looking forward
are their eyes moving

If the answer is yes to both of those, it can reasonably be assumed that the driver is alert and paying attention.

If it can't see your eyes, it cannot say you are looking forward & therefore it must assume that you are not paying attention to the road.

Or if you do have eyes forward but they are static, you've clearly been incapacitated in some manner. Maybe dead, maybe had a heart attack or seizure, maybe printed fake eyes onto a pair of sunglasses. Doesn't matter. No movement = no good.

Based off this assumption, you now have a car you cannot wear sunglasses if you want to use super cruise mode. Luxury car owners don't like limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger
Really? Someone will figure out easy ways around. It's new tech and imperfect. Someone always finds a way to cheat. Just think of the facial recognition software on cell phones... When it first came out; a picture could bypass the "security".
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Based off this assumption, you now have a car you cannot wear sunglasses if you want to use super cruise mode. Luxury car owners don't like limitations.
Yes, I know. I knew that when I wrote it. I also don't care.

I prioritize everybodys safety well above limiting front left passengers ability to wear sunglasses. Because when dealing with a 2 ton vehicle travelling at 70+ mph, safe operation should without question be the top priority.

GM probably has a much more sophisticated system than the one I mentioned, but they would still be horrendously irresponsible to sell a system that could be easily circumvented by something as simple as putting on a pair of sunglasses.

And if I was an owner & was exceedingly concerned with having 'no limitations', I wouldn't let a car do my driving for me: its too limiting.

Camaro Fest sub-forum