Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
nbostaph

Drives: Yellow 2014 2SS Convertible
Is there any trick to getting an ODBII reader to connect to a Camaro?

I have a 2014 Camaro 2SS, and I believe an error code is preventing me from putting my convertible top down. So I purchased a Foxwell NT201 off of Ebay. I've never used one of these before, but figured I should be able to figure it out.

When the unit arrived I tried to connect it to my car, but it just kept cycling through the communication protocols and finally told me that my car is not responding. I tried the following to get it to work:
  • Plug it in with the car off
  • Plug it in with the key to acc
  • Plug it in with the key to on
  • Plug it in with the car running
  • Plug it in with the car off then turn the key to acc while it's trying to connect
  • Plug it in with the car off then turn the key to on while it's trying to connect
  • Tear 17% of my hair out
  • Plug it in 2+ minutes after turning the key to on

My assumption was that I got a bad unit, but then I tried plugging it into my partner's 2008 Chrysler 300 with the key off, then turned the key to on, and the thing connected up without a hitch. So there went that theory.

Is there anything special I need to do to get a Camaro communicating with an ODBII reader? Is the reader I'm using the wrong one (it listed support for Camaros but they could be mistaken)? Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks!
nbostaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
14ssrs6man

Drives: Summit White 2014 2SS/RS 6spd
Interesting, should just plug in and turn key... I never had an issue... make sure it is plugged in all the way, those connections are tight on mine. Good Luck!
Old 04-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I'm thinking you got a bad unit, you should just be able to plug in and go.

2019 SS 1LE - "CaSSandra" 2014 SS - "AleSSandra - Sold" 94 Z28 - Sold

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
firedruish

While I know this is not what you want to hear....

honest next step go to parts store (o'rielly, autozone, etc) and have them read you to code, or

go to amazon.com and spend $12.95 on:

https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetoo...h+obd2+adapter

this is the vgate obdII reader that I use with my 2014 camaro. it pairs to the Torgue app which is completely free and has worked on everything I have tried it on.

good luck
Old 04-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
nbostaph

Well, I think I figured this out. The instructions that came with my unit said that it must be plugged in and receiving power to work, implying that there was no battery. So I had it plugged into the USB port in my car when trying to connect.

Today I realized that it turned on without being plugged in, so I tried connecting to the OBD2 port without connecting the USB cable, and it worked. So if anyone else runs into the same problem...there's your solution.

Unfortunately, it showed no codes. And even after clearing all codes my convertible top will still not go down. Not really sure what to do next... :(
Old 04-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
b4wheeler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Vert
Do you have to have the "safety" net pulled out to open the top??? my 2011 has a net of sorts that has to be opened to get the top to come down...
Old 04-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
nbostaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4wheeler View Post
Do you have to have the "safety" net pulled out to open the top??? my 2011 has a net of sorts that has to be opened to get the top to come down...
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually removed the cargo shade to install a stealth sub box. The top still worked when I did that...at first. When I tried again a month later this problem started occurring. :(
Old 04-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
No, you shouldn't have to do anything special.

I have 2 ELM27 BT scanners from different manufacturers that work without issue.

Have you visually inspected the OBD port?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #9
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Generic code readers like that won't always pull manufacturer-specific chassis codes. So that's probably your issue.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote