Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Mark-HD

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS
Magnacharger Install Wow!

Well, here a few pictures from today. We started about 9am. David with JIC Performance did a great job on the install. Long day but it was worth it. This thing is unbelieveable. I have to learn to drive again. The torque is incredible.
I have to thank Ted Jannetty for hooking me up on the Maggie Kit and for helping me with the tune over the weekend. Purchased an Hp Tuners Pro to
get the tune a little faster than sending the ECM to California. Tomorrow we are installing Pedders lower coils, and a set of Hawk ceramic pads.
Attached Images

2010 Camaro SS, M6, MTI shifter and sway bars, GM quarter flares, Corsa catback, Roto-Fab CAI, 30% tinted windows, Lloyd's custom mats, Hawk ceramic pads, Pedders lower coils, Magnuson supercharger with 3.6 pulley, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Kook's LT's1 7/8 w/cats, Lingenfelter/SLP billet pedals, KW V'3 Coilovers, RevExtreme catch can, ---Ordered--- IconZ LS7 9 & 11" polished wheels!. Dyno'd 563.05 HP, 543.86 Torq.
Mark-HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
GoodTimes

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2002 Grand Am GT
Lookin' good Mark, lookin' good... now let's see some dyno numbers
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Very Nice... Post up some numbers when you get them...
Old 12-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
JICPerformance
Here to make you faster

Drives: 2005 GTO supercharged 2009 GXP
Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad that we could be of assistance. See you tomorrow for the springs and pads.
JICPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Noice!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Mark-HD

I will get some numbers, but I think we are going to install headers first...
2010 Camaro SS, M6, MTI shifter and sway bars, GM quarter flares, Corsa catback, Roto-Fab CAI, 30% tinted windows, Lloyd's custom mats, Hawk ceramic pads, Pedders lower coils, Magnuson supercharger with 3.6 pulley, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Kook's LT's1 7/8 w/cats, Lingenfelter/SLP billet pedals, KW V'3 Coilovers, RevExtreme catch can, ---Ordered--- IconZ LS7 9 & 11" polished wheels!. Dyno'd 563.05 HP, 543.86 Torq.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
navyblueSS

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Nice!!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
dwebster
DW's 2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS LS3-CAI/LG-Corsa
Installed yourself (with a friend)? What was price? What did it include?
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
JICPerformance
Here to make you faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwebster View Post
Installed yourself (with a friend)? What was price? What did it include?
We did the install here in Atlanta. Mark hung around and helped out when a second pair of hands were needed. I'm sending you a PM with more information.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
cyberbro

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro
No fender dents from sitting on them?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
Mark-HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbro View Post
AH no...We were actually standing on frame. I had one heel on edge of frame and other toe on the head with a lean on the fender (I think). I had a solid stance holding weight before squating down. Otherwise I wouldn't have climbed in there Placing the magnacharger was actually very easy. It lined up first time.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
JICPerformance
Here to make you faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbro View Post
I had one foot on the ground, one thigh rested across the fender top and fuse box. As Mark said, he had both feet on the unibody/subframe with minimal weight on the fender edge.

We usually keep the car up a little to keep from bending over so much during the install (your back will thank you!). The sheer width of the Camaro makes it challenging to reach from either side and gently place the supercharger into it's new home without getting creative.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
thenaz
Thenaz

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS BLK GFX IOI/STRIPE TVS
MagnaCharger- Do it yourself

My install was done by myself with assistance with my wife (115lbs) and if we can do this at home by ourselves almost anyone can do this. I found some hose fastener removals to be the most difficult (the heater hoses especially, grab & twist with pliers is the trick). The drilling of the harmonic balancer went easier than anticipated with the purchase of a right angle drill from Sears. A 7 piece set of hose clamp removal tools saved the day. Sent the computer for reprogramming and got it back and running in about 3 days total working 1 whole day and a couple of evenings after work. The feeling of doing it myself is worth alot. Cost of TVS2300 was $6237.50 and a few extra tools to make things easier about $200. But doing it myself, Priceless!!!
ps... We never had to climb into the engine bay. Name:  FAITHFUL ASSISTANT.jpg
Views: 2804
Size:  111.8 KB

Name:  DURING.jpg
Views: 2813
Size:  153.7 KB

Name:  MORE DURING.jpg
Views: 2782
Size:  158.7 KB

Name:  READY.jpg
Views: 2757
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  DONE 575HP.jpg
Views: 2771
Size:  161.8 KB

Last edited by thenaz; 12-08-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling error
thenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
damn nice guys...

question: What all needs done for the additional fuel? Larger injectors / higher pressure fuel pump?

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaz View Post
My install was done be myself with assistance with my wife (115lbs) and if we can do this at home by ourselves almost anyone can do this. I found some hose fastener removals to be the most difficult (the heater hoses especially, grab & twist with pliers is the trick). The drilling of the harmonic balancer went easier than anticipated with the purchase of a right angle drill from Sears. A 7 piece set of hose clamp removal tools saved the day. Sent the computer for reprogramming and got it back and running in about 3 days total working 1 whole day and a couple of evenings after work. The feeling of doing it myself is worth alot. Cost of TVS2300 was $6237.50 and a few extra tools to make things easier about $200. But doing it myself, Priceless!!!
ps... We never had to climb into the engine bay.
Nice write up and nice do-it-yourself motivation too!!

How much for the right angle drill? I just have to get an inch pound rated torque wrench and the catch basin for the coolant. Still not sure if I will start the install before Christmas.

How critical is it to have another person to help with placing the s/c on top of the engine? Is it really that heavy?
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!! I wonder if the state would allow this vanity plate---> KISSMYSS
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
Mark-HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post

How much for the right angle drill? I just have to get an inch pound rated torque wrench and the catch basin for the coolant. Still not sure if I will start the install before Christmas.

How critical is it to have another person to help with placing the s/c on top of the engine? Is it really that heavy?
David used a regular air drill, once everything is out of the way, there was plenty of room. The maggie assembly, I would say weighs 70-80 pounds. That really wasn't hard to put into place. The heater hose removal was the toughest part. BTW we started at 9am, took a 2 hour break, and drove the car around 9:45pm....
Old 12-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #17
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Congrats & Good Job!! How is the seat of the pants dyno? This Maggie huffer really brings the Camaro to life, huh?
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #18
JICPerformance
Here to make you faster

Quote:

As Mark stated below, your standard air drill will fit with room to spare if you have a large enough compressor to power one. As far as a antifreeze catch goes, I would recommend going to Home Depot and purchasing a concrete mixing tub. They carry two different sizes but the smaller one measures about 18"x24"x6".

I'd also recommend putting the front wheels on ramps if you are 6' tall or taller. This will allow you to place the catch basin under the car with ease and will stop you from having to bend over as much during the installation. If you are not comfortable installing the supercharger as we did above, you may roll the car back off of the ramps which will make it a little easier to set the supercharger on top. With that being said, once you get the car off of the ramps you're not going to be able to just crank it up and put it back on them since everything is torn apart.

If your car is an automatic, you are going to need a Kent-Moore # J-42386-A tool to hold the flywheel in place when reinstalling the balancer bolt. Some may even find this tool necessary on a manual transmission car if they do not have an assistant to keep pressure on the brakes when torquing the bolt into place. The starter must be removed to install this tool into place. DO NOT USE AN IMPACT WRENCH TO INSTALL THIS BOLT!!!

As with most instructions that you will find and especially with the supplied Magnacharger instructions, they are not all-inclusive, require mechanical ability, the proper tools, and serious experience goes a long way with speeding up the process and filling in with where the instructions are short.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
carfansince73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JICPerformance View Post
As Mark stated below, your standard air drill will fit with room to spare if you have a large enough compressor to power one. As far as a antifreeze catch goes, I would recommend going to Home Depot and purchasing a concrete mixing tub. They carry two different sizes but the smaller one measures about 18"x24"x6".

I'd also recommend putting the front wheels on ramps if you are 6' tall or taller. This will allow you to place the catch basin under the car with ease and will stop you from having to bend over as much during the installation. If you are not comfortable installing the supercharger as we did above, you may roll the car back off of the ramps which will make it a little easier to set the supercharger on top. With that being said, once you get the car off of the ramps you're not going to be able to just crank it up and put it back on them since everything is torn apart.

If your car is an automatic, you are going to need a Kent-Moore # J-42386-A tool to hold the flywheel in place when reinstalling the balancer bolt. Some may even find this tool necessary on a manual transmission car if they do not have an assistant to keep pressure on the brakes when torquing the bolt into place. The starter must be removed to install this tool into place. DO NOT USE AN IMPACT WRENCH TO INSTALL THIS BOLT!!!

As with most instructions that you will find and especially with the supplied Magnacharger instructions, they are not all-inclusive, require mechanical ability, the proper tools, and serious experience goes a long way with speeding up the process and filling in with where the instructions are short.

Thanks for the tips. I have a floorjack and jack stands I can use, or at least I hope I can considering how much lower this is than our other vehicles. I certainly don't have serious experience, but then again I'm not looking to do this quick. I have another car to drive during the install.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!! I wonder if the state would allow this vanity plate---> KISSMYSS
Old 12-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #20
JICPerformance
Here to make you faster

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I have a floorjack and jack stands I can use, or at least I hope I can considering how much lower this is than our other vehicles. I certainly don't have serious experience, but then again I'm not looking to do this quick. I have another car to drive during the install.
If you can locate a pair of "Rhino Ramps" they work perfect with most late model cars that haven't been lowered.

If you have lowered the car, my next suggestion for home use ramps is to purchase 2- 2"x12"x10' pine boards. Cut the boards to 4', 3', 2' and 1' sections using a circular or radial arm saw set at a 45-degree angle. Stack the boards and nail/screw them together with a 2"x4" stop strip across the front and you now have a very heavy and gradual ramp that will get you about 6" high.

If you have any questions or concerns with your install, please feel free to PM me.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #21
carfansince73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JICPerformance View Post
If you can locate a pair of "Rhino Ramps" they work perfect with most late model cars that haven't been lowered.

If you have lowered the car, my next suggestion for home use ramps is to purchase 2- 2"x12"x10' pine boards. Cut the boards to 4', 3', 2' and 1' sections using a circular or radial arm saw set at a 45-degree angle. Stack the boards and nail/screw them together with a 2"x4" stop strip across the front and you now have a very heavy and gradual ramp that will get you about 6" high.

If you have any questions or concerns with your install, please feel free to PM me.
I do have ramps too. I guess I'll see how I'm feeling before I start taking the thing apart. I just got done replacing the almost every a/c part in my Honda CR-V after the compressor took a dump, and my back was aching from that. The Camaro feels like an Indy car compared to that.

Appreciate everything, especially the free advice should I run into problems.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #22
Mark-HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
Congrats & Good Job!! How is the seat of the pants dyno? This Maggie huffer really brings the Camaro to life, huh?
Seriously, I'm having to learn to drive it all over again. It needs more rubber in the rear. It's way too easy to light um up.... I can't get over how much seat of the pants torque this thing has.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #23
bluestang50
Account Suspended

Drives: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-HD View Post
Seriously, I'm having to learn to drive it all over again. It needs more rubber in the rear. It's way too easy to light um up.... I can't get over how much seat of the pants torque this thing has.
How is the overall drive ability? I ask this meaning how does the car react at part throttle. I have heard a lot about some supercharger companies giving out tunes that aren't perfected yet and do not drive well under part throttle conditions. Do you know what air/fuel ratios driving normally and then at WOT?
bluestang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #24
thenaz
Thenaz

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS BLK GFX IOI/STRIPE TVS
Thumbs up Driving Impression for MagnaCharger

I ordered my MagnaCharger from "hotpart.com" with promo code "750camaroz28" . Final price with free shipping, no tax, with warranty etc.. $6237.50. I found this info on this forum. I also purchased, BUT DID NOT INSTALL, ARH 304SS long tube headers with highflow cats & X-pipe and Cold Air Inductions CAI kit (which should arrive any day). But with JUST the Maggie with the stock exhaust and stock air intake and stock fuel system (other than the new higher output injectors that come installed on the Maggie) this might be all that I will need. The programming they install after you send back your computer in the prepaid box is perfect.
Starts and sounds just like stock. Drives same as stock with a slight notice of more torque at low rpm. Let it rev a bit and you can hear a slight subtle moan of the charger spinning. At 2,000 rpm torque is approaching 500 ft lbs and with traction control still on it will break the tires lose in 1st or 2nd at 2,200 just by pushing down on the gas. It will accelerate up a hill now in 6th gear and 5th gear now pulls like 3rd. MagnaCharger I believe offers additional warranty on drive train components for an additional $200 or $300 if you keep it stock like this. I have not put on the headers and may not put on the CAI. It runs so perfect now and it sounds so stock you may have the perfect sleeper. Why tip your hand to the guy in the next lane? Let him think he needs a tune up or an overhaul. I like it alot and I can still hear the music on the stereo and can enjoy the quiet knowledge of supremacy. WOW!!

And to all, Sweet Dreams.
thenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #25
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
yep, I totally agree with the driveability assessment above. I had Maggie installed a 4 weeks ago and in the first 2 weeks, I can't believe the power. Now, well, let's just say I have gotten used to it and feels like it is stock again.....you know what I mean?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote