Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-09-2020, 11:34 PM   #1
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
round 2, 3:70's

here I go again. and this time I'm extremely confident in the workmanship. 3:70's installed on trutrak once again pinion : no shims? anyone heard or that? backlash set at .003 thousandths. near perfect heel and toe. and drive and coast. using the black poly bushing on my punkin and swapping out the reds. ol' fat ass is gonna be on his back this weekend under my car with the wonderful Missouri humidity dripping down my.... eyes as well as everyplace else. 99* degrees. so hot the flies wont even land. the oldman....
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:35 PM   #2
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman14ss View Post
here I go again. and this time I'm extremely confident in the workmanship. 3:70's installed on trutrak once again pinion : no shims? anyone heard or that? backlash set at .003 thousandths. near perfect heel and toe. and drive and coast. using the black poly bushing on my punkin and swapping out the reds. ol' fat ass is gonna be on his back this weekend under my car with the wonderful Missouri humidity dripping down my.... eyes as well as everyplace else. 99* degrees. so hot the flies wont even land. the oldman....
I have heard that GM cuts its tolerances so close that nothing needs to be shimmied with GM parts. My 3.91s went in that way too.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
well,well,WELL! got my diff installed sunday. did the one axle pull method discussed here. I bought a harbor freight transmission jack, and used it to lift the diff. then I lined up the driveshaft and put 2 bolts in to stabilize. worked great. finished my reinstall in about 6 hours. I know, but I'm not as flexible as I used to be and I'm on my back. the weather was great also. lord was looking at me. dropped her down. went in cleaned up and went for my first ride again. the story goes as follows; NO EVENTS!! fantastic! finally found someone in the area that knows what they were doing! no whine, no grind, no whirling sound. no,none,not, nothing! I am so impressed with this set up I could just S**T. the guys did great! 178 calm miles heat cycles, cool downs,etc.. no steady speeds, up and down shifts varying speeds nothing excessive. no burn outs just yet. and all is quiet. I'm telling you all when you get rear end gears changed there should be no noise, drive or coast from the start. don't let them fool you, I was. and paid dearly for it. also my pinion required NO SHIMS and .004 thousands back lash spot on as shown in the AAM install sheet. party on!!! the oldman...
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #4
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
@pnwdan Are your 3.91s in the SS carrier? I'm looking to upgrade my read diff and thought only AZ1 would allow 3.91. That'd sure make finding one a whole lot easier is the SS does. The lowest the V6 diff holds is 3.55.

BTW, i used to live in Puyallup before moving to southern AZ.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15RS2NV View Post
@pnwdan Are your 3.91s in the SS carrier? I'm looking to upgrade my read diff and thought only AZ1 would allow 3.91. That'd sure make finding one a whole lot easier is the SS does. The lowest the V6 diff holds is 3.55.

BTW, i used to live in Puyallup before moving to southern AZ.
RDPstore list 3.91 for the SS

https://www.rdpstore.com/p-9838-gm-p...-19329768.aspx
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
Nice! Thanks @gtstorey
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15RS2NV View Post
Nice! Thanks @gtstorey
Sorry. Didnt see your reply. Yes I have my original SS carrier. GM 3.91 gears installed without shims as well.