Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 AM   #1
tommygun6644

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Cobalt LT
Camaros driven in the winter *shudder*

Saw two Camaros today around the Albany area. A black LT and a IBM SS/RS. Both were filthy and covered with salt and all that nasty winter stuff

Maybe I'm just biased because I garaged my Camaro and miss driving it dearly every day.

I guess my philosophy is if you can afford a car like the Camaro you can afford a cheap winter hooptie.

To each his own I guess.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
SRM
New England Daily Driver

Drives: 2010 2SS RS CGM
Many threads on this and the topic continues to live forever. 10 years ago on the ls1 sites people said the same thing.

Camaro is a car. Yes, I love my Camaro and the previous ones before that. I have always daily driven them through New England weather. I choose to do so because I it would drive me nuts if I could NOT drive it. Every day is Christmas time when I drive my Camaro.

I also do not want a third car to maintain. My 2000 Z28 after 7 years of daily driving - it appeared rust-free. Of course keeping it off the road the car will last longer but how long do you want to keep it?

I figure many years down the road, if I need to purchase another 5th gen, there will always be a garage queen available.

Previous: 2010 2SS RS, 2007 WRX, 2000 Z28, and a few 2nd gen Fbodies...
SRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
MI2010Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I drive mine daily and when the temp's are above 32 degrees, wash it when I can. Hey, winter only last for another 10 - 12 weeks here! Here's proof:
Attached Images

#143575 Delivered 9/14/09
MI2010Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun6644 View Post
Saw two Camaros today around the Albany area. A black LT and a IBM SS/RS. Both were filthy and covered with salt and all that nasty winter stuff

Maybe I'm just biased because I garaged my Camaro and miss driving it dearly every day.

I guess my philosophy is if you can afford a car like the Camaro you can afford a cheap winter hooptie.

To each his own I guess.
I drove my other three year round. My 2010 SS is not going to be driven for about three and a half months each year. The winter beats the shit out of them. The previous poster's gen 4's didn't rust because like my 98 Z and 02 SS they were made of plastic. I love Camaros, with that said, if we are honest, we will admit that they absoloutely suck in the snow. I can't answer what the six cylinder models are like in the snow, but the V-8's suck. I had three different brands of all season radials and they were still a handful. I now have a 2001 Buick as a winter machine. I will drive the hell out of my SS from Saint Patrick's Day to Thanksgiving.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:52 AM   #5
SRM
New England Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
I drove my other three year round. My 2010 SS is not going to be driven for about three and a half months each year. The winter beats the shit out of them. The previous poster's gen 4's didn't rust because like my 98 Z and 02 SS they were made of plastic. I love Camaros, with that said, if we are honest, we will admit that they absoloutely suck in the snow. I can't answer what the six cylinder models are like in the snow, but the V-8's suck. I had three different brands of all season radials and they were still a handful. I now have a 2001 Buick as a winter machine. I will drive the hell out of my SS from Saint Patrick's Day to Thanksgiving.
Winter tires make a HUGE difference! In my hilly neighborhood on untreated roads, my 2000 Z28 with Blizzak WS-50's (225 width) tracked just as good as our Subaru's with all-season tires - believe it or not....

Also, I was referring to the under body of my 4th gen. It was rust-free, excluding bare metal things like end-links of course.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:02 AM   #6
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun6644 View Post

To each his own I guess.
Oh boy heres another thread on this.

I drive my SS in the winter, it drove great in the snow.

Yes I can afford 2 cars

No I don't want to. I live in an apartment, its a pain in the ass having 2 cars, I have a garage for my Camaro, then I have to mess around to find parking for the other car, then move it when the parking rules change, or the street is flooding, or... it goes on and on.

Its a car... a mass produced one at that, salt ain't gonna eat it if you keep up on it, I've had multiple nice cars survive the snow this way.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM View Post
Winter tires make a HUGE difference! In my hilly neighborhood on untreated roads, my 2000 Z28 with Blizzak WS-50's (225 width) tracked just as good as our Subaru's with all-season tires - believe it or not....
I had Goodyear Eagle all seasons from the factory on my 1998 Z-28 with the traction control package(ASR). I had BF Goodrich G-force all seasons on my 02 SS. I then replaced those with Toyo Proxis all seasons. Your combination obviously worked better than mine. I couldn't start off on a hill. I would get 2/3's of the way up a hill and slide back with the wheels locked to the bottom. When I priced tires and wheels for my 2010 SS I decided that if I added just a little more money I could buy a front drive Buick that an old guy owned and took reasonable care of. I found the one that I have for $5,500.00 with 50,000 miles on it and it is in perfect condition. I used it in the 15 inches of snow that we got December 20th and it refused to get stuck. My Camaro is in the garage with my Harley high and dry sipping from their repective battery tenders.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
SRM
New England Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Oh boy heres another thread on this.

I drive my SS in the winter, it drove great in the snow.

Yes I can afford 2 cars

No I don't want to. I live in an apartment, its a pain in the ass having 2 cars, I have a garage for my Camaro, then I have to mess around to find parking for the other car, then move it when the parking rules change, or the street is flooding, or... it goes on and on.

Its a car... a mass produced one at that, salt ain't gonna eat it if you keep up on it, I've had multiple nice cars survive the snow this way.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Here we go again:
It's not the winter snow and salt and getting your Camaro dirty, it's the summer tires and safety. I can't drive my SS when the temperatures below about 35 degrees. I took it out last week at 28 degrees on dry roads. I couldn't drive it- It was like driving on a layer of marbles- ITS UNSAFE !. Thanks, but I kept my '06 Impala as a winter beater.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #10
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I love looking at my sparkling clean Camaro sitting nice and safe in my Garage for the winter, I have 3 Camaro's that do not ever see the streets during the winter.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #11
TK-Bear
Cybertron

Drives: Silver Camaro with Orange Stripes
I drive mine year round, but as someone else on here said, I am in the same boat in that having a second car would be a pain living in an apartment without ample parking. Someday I may get a winter driver but not this year. Plus I have only had mine for short a period of time it would be a crime to have parked it right away. Some winter precautions I have taken are winter lm25 blizzak tires, as well as I try and rinse the under body regularly, and wash the car every chance I get. If it ever snows bad it is nice that I am in IT and can work from home on occasion.

Ordered My Camaro on November 18th. / Built on December 4rth / Arrived on December 10th / Stripes were finished and I took it home on December 15th 2009!!!
TK-Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
arabicame

Drives: 2SS RS Blk/Blk A6 10k miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-Bear View Post
I drive mine year round, but as someone else on here said, I am in the same boat in that having a second car would be a pain living in an apartment without ample parking. Someday I may get a winter driver but not this year. Plus I have only had mine for short a period of time it would be a crime to have parked it right away. Some winter precautions I have taken are winter lm25 blizzak tires, as well as I try and rinse the under body regularly, and wash the car every chance I get. If it ever snows bad it is nice that I am in IT and can work from home on occasion.
The Salt and Sand take it's toll on a car!! I put mine away, and when Im thinking of driving it , I take the cover off and remind myself how long it would take to clean it .
!978 FJ 40 NO heat is my winter beater.

Which is worse...waiting for delivery of SS or having it and not driving it?
Attached Images

arabicame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
STL20102SS

Drives: SW 2010 2SS/RS
What type of wheels and tires do you have, where did you get them and what did they run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI2010Camaro View Post
I drive mine daily and when the temp's are above 32 degrees, wash it when I can. Hey, winter only last for another 10 - 12 weeks here! Here's proof:
STL20102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabicame View Post
Which is worse...waiting for delivery of SS or having it and not driving it?
Hey, at least if you have it, you can go look at it or sit in it.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote