Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
How to Properly Remove Dust without Scratching Up Your Paint - The Videos

Okay boys and girls, The Junkman is back with another video series. This time I cover the proper technique of using a waterless wash product on your paint without damaging the paint. The same goes for a quick detailer, which can also be used in place of a waterless wash when you follow the rules I lay down in these videos. A lot of people experience scratches when using waterless wash products (and detail spray), because they use it at a inappropriate time or do it incorrectly. There are quite a few products on the market that will work, however, if you use it at a time when your car should be 2-bucket washed instead, you could end up being your paint's worst enemy. It is not the product that is at fault, it is your technique.

There are 2 types of dirt that will end up on your car: dust and everything else (everything else as in mud, film, a herd of bird droppings, etc...). Waterless washing products are made for dust. Things like finger prints or something else that has just landed on your paint (like that special sauce from a Big Mac ), can also be removed with a waterless washing product. If a major area of the car is covered with anything else, you need to wash it, especially a car covered with a dirt film (which is what you find covering the car after driving it in the rain). A caked on spot of something like bird droppings can be removed using a waterless wash but you have to soak the spot real good and make sure that the substance is fully diluted enough to remove. Rubbing on it too soon will do nothing but scratch the paint.

Common sense is the key here, not necessarily the product I use. I can't list all the situations that a waterless washing product can be used for but after watching these videos, you will have a good idea. With that said, on to the videos!

The Videos!

Last edited by Junkman2008; 01-18-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
Everything from Adam's Polishes works great. It's all I use.
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
promod55

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss 67 camaro
Another adams polish satisfied customer.
promod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Junk, you're awesome. Thanks. Keep the info coming!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
dr1ven

Drives: '10 CGM
Thanks.

1100: 09/1/09
3800: 12/18/09
Picked Up at the Dealership: 1/4/10

dr1ven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
thanks...
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

I see people incorrectly "scrubbing" on their cars all the time at car shows. They don't realize the damage that they are doing to their cars. Here's a perfect example.

I was on my way to the Adam's booth for a day of detailing demo's when I saw this sweet Camero sitting in front of my hotel at the Hot August Nights show in Reno, NV. At first glance it looked cherry. Here's a shot from a distance.

However, once I got close enough to actually see it, this is what met me!

The owner told me that he had never washed the car, only used a quick detailer to keep it clean. The towel that he was using looked so ugly that I wouldn't clean my exhaust pipes with it. I took his car over to our booth and started instructing him in the use of a much finer grade of products.

Next, I broke out my PC some Adam's and showed the owner what his paint should look like. Needless to say, he was happy with the results.

I don't use over the counter compounds or polishes that cover up damage like what you saw in the before pictures, I REMOVE the damage. That is the only way you should roll.

Adam and I are talking about attending the first Camero5 get together so if anyone else has issues like this, I will probably be there in person to show you how to resolve them. It looks like you all are setting up a really fun event and I am looking forward to attending.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 01-07-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Junkman: I admit, I had bad technique using my California Duster and had it put away for a long time. How did you get your strings to dangle? When I take mine out the bag it came in, they kinda stay pressed flat.

Would you recommend using the duster before washing? I usually spray on Meguiar's gold class shampoo from a Mr. Clean gun onto the whole car, let it sit for about a minute followed by a good rinse. Then I wash my car. Maybe a little pre-dusting will help?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
Junkman: I admit, I had bad technique using my California Duster and had it put away for a long time. How did you get your strings to dangle? When I take mine out the bag it came in, they kinda stay pressed flat.

Would you recommend using the duster before washing? I usually spray on Meguiar's gold class shampoo from a Mr. Clean gun onto the whole car, let it sit for about a minute followed by a good rinse. Then I wash my car. Maybe a little pre-dusting will help?
Not at all. I explain the proper technique to washing the car in my other thread. No need to dirty up the duster when you are washing the car. I keep my strings dangling by NOT storing the duster in the bag it comes in. I hang it up and allow them the dangle that way.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
amanc96

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS
Love the vids!! After seeing your first post, I checked out more. The waterless was the next one after the PC vid, then went and watched the head lights one. I'll probably watch the rest of them when i get time! good job though and keep up the good and hard work!!
amanc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanc96 View Post
Love the vids!! After seeing your first post, I checked out more. The waterless was the next one after the PC vid, then went and watched the head lights one. I'll probably watch the rest of them when i get time! good job though and keep up the good and hard work!!
Thanks!

Some of the video series require that you read the associated text for each video or you'll miss some important data. Keep that in mind if you just watch the videos alone.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Great vids Junkman, thanks for the tips on using the duster before the waterless wash. I did the waterless to the back of new camaro once just to try out the detailer. Luckily it did not scratch but will definitely get the california duster before attempting the next time. Thanks,
Old 01-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword5 View Post
Great vids Junkman, thanks for the tips on using the duster before the waterless wash. I did the waterless to the back of new camaro once just to try out the detailer. Luckily it did not scratch but will definitely get the california duster before attempting the next time. Thanks,
The scratching builds up over time if the dust is loose enough as it was in my video. If it is caked on dirt, the damage shows up immediately and very noticeable. I wasn't willing to sacrifice my Vette to that kind of treatment!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
Hillee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Car Care

Junkman your're the man...thanks...
Hillee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:25 PM   #15
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillee View Post
Junkman your're the man...thanks...
Thanks mang!
Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 AM   #16
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Hey junkman, any tips for cleaning your leather in your car as well?
Thanks for the vid too
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 AM   #17
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Hey junkman, any tips for cleaning your leather in your car as well?
Thanks for the vid too
The stuff I use just happens to be by Adam's (really you say!), but the reason I use it has nothing to do with the fact that Adam's makes it. There are a bunch of products on the market that work. However, I had a black, 57' Corvette with white interior at a show once and the parts of his seats that were covered by the convertible deck lid were black with dirt. I went to demonstrate how the Leather & Interior Cleaner that Adam's sells works when he stopped me, raised the deck lid and said, "Let's see what that stuff will do on this dirt!" I took one look and thought to myself, "Dang, that ain't fair!"

When I started cleaning it and saw the dirt coming off, I was hooked. Out of all the cleaners I have tried, that stuff is amazing. The Carpet Cleaner ain't no slouch either!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #18
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Nice and clean
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #19
JesusIRL

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT Camaro
Are you getting paid by Adam's to market them?

If not, you should be... I'm buying a ton of Adam's products because of you LOL! Thanks for all the vids. Good stuff!
JesusIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #20
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIRL View Post
Are you getting paid by Adam's to market them?

If not, you should be... I'm buying a ton of Adam's products because of you LOL! Thanks for all the vids. Good stuff!
There are jobs on this planet that if I could, I would do for free. Teaching is one, police work is another and traveling to car shows and meeting you guys is the third. When I take someone who is lost in the information overload that is detailing cars, it gives me pleasure to clean up the confusion. I WAS THERE TOO! I know the pain first hand and would have paid anyone to break it down and make it simple for me. When guys write a simple thank you note because they now have an understanding of how to take care of their pride and joy because of a video I made, trust me, that is worth more than money. If I have helped you, then the thanks is payment enough.

If it were my wish, I'd do car shows year round and meeting you guys would pay the bills. Okay enough of that, I've actually got a real job that I've got to go to!

P.S. Don't forget to use the coupon code "Junkman" so that you can get 10% off your purchases!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #21
promod55

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss 67 camaro
Junkman, you do one hell of a job.I use to use to use and sell formula 113 another great product,but they kept moving further away which did not give a warm and fuzzy feeling.I switched 3 years ago to adams with zero regrets another great product.I am glad to see other people out here know that a great product does not come with a lot of unnecessay labor involved so we can enjoy all of our cars driving them instead of waxing them.Keep up the great work.
promod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #22
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by promod55 View Post
Junkman, you do one hell of a job.I use to use to use and sell formula 113 another great product,but they kept moving further away which did not give a warm and fuzzy feeling.I switched 3 years ago to adams with zero regrets another great product.I am glad to see other people out here know that a great product does not come with a lot of unnecessay labor involved so we can enjoy all of our cars driving them instead of waxing them.Keep up the great work.
Will do sir, thanks!
Old 01-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #23
JesusIRL

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
There are jobs on this planet that if I could, I would do for free. Teaching is one, police work is another and traveling to car shows and meeting you guys is the third. When I take someone who is lost in the information overload that is detailing cars, it gives me pleasure to clean up the confusion. I WAS THERE TOO! I know the pain first hand and would have paid anyone to break it down and make it simple for me. When guys write a simple thank you note because they now have an understanding of how to take care of their pride and joy because of a video I made, trust me, that is worth more than money. If I have helped you, then the thanks is payment enough.

If it were my wish, I'd do car shows year round and meeting you guys would pay the bills. Okay enough of that, I've actually got a real job that I've got to go to!

P.S. Don't forget to use the coupon code "Junkman" so that you can get 10% off your purchases!
Damn, I'm glad I came back to the forums really quick and saw your reply. You saved me a good couple bucks haha. I also just finished going through your series of videos. Gotta thank you for those along with the coupon code as well. Soon as I receive my shipment, I'll be doing my first full on wash since buying my car... Claybar, polish, machine waxing and everything in between lol!
JesusIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #24
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIRL View Post
Damn, I'm glad I came back to the forums really quick and saw your reply. You saved me a good couple bucks haha. I also just finished going through your series of videos. Gotta thank you for those along with the coupon code as well. Soon as I receive my shipment, I'll be doing my first full on wash since buying my car... Claybar, polish, machine waxing and everything in between lol!
Watch the videos over and over again so that it will be embedded in your brain as to what to do. You will be surprised at what you missed the second and third time around while watching the videos.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #25
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I watched your videos above, then found more, then found myself watching you most of the day! Great information and excellent presentation. The "take you off the tripod" was my favorite. What you see is what you get. Thank you Junkman!!

p.s. you need a booth at C5 fest!